Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FAs Now Hawking AA Credit Cards Inflight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FAs Now Hawking AA Credit Cards Inflight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
If the FAs really had the AA customer at heart, they’d hand out applications for the Chase BA card instead.
josephstern and James91 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Flight44
This endless annoyance I lay at the feet of management, who have taken a page from the tech industry (Google,Amazon, et al) by never passing up a single moment (or square millimeter of space) to insert a commercial message on the off chance they can milk another pfennig from a mark, sorry, customer.
It's bad now, yes, but it could be much, much worse...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
its so tacky though.....talk about damage to a brand.
But is the alleged "damage"of any consequence? I see that you're EXP. Have you reduced your AA flying on account of the credit card sales pitch? AA has lots of really smart people working for it. I would guess that the business they anticipate losing on account of the verbal onboard sales pitch is a fraction of the additional revenue they anticipate that they'll get from it.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Just got off Flight 1714 ILM-CLT. The announcement started by stating they had an exclusive offer today to sign you up for the largest frequent flyer program in the world and award you 60,000 AAdvantage miles. Gave the benefits, including a false one of Priority Boarding, and what flights you could get with 60,000 miles but never once mentioned anything about Barclays or that you were applying for a credit card. The only hint was that one of the benefits was “no foreign transaction fee”.

Totally deceptive. Unbelievable!
+1. Almost the exact pitch on 2 recent domestic flights. Deceptive++
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I can't blame the FAs per say. I guess they are expected to do it. I assume for some of the older ones that remember when airlines flew planes its hard to get used to. I doubt I'd want to read that pitch every flight.
They are expected to do PDB service too and look how that turns out
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
The difference is if the FAs don't do a PDB service no one in management seems to care but if they fail to do the cc pitch...... Someone said it best, AA is a credit card company that just happens to fly airplanes.
PHX_Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
On a flight from DFW to DCA and the FA gave the pitch before we pushed back.

Mentioned each authorized user can also earn 60k for their first spend, special offer only on this plane and that this was the last day for the offer. She kept saying 120,000 miles and talking about flying all over the world. Upon being pressed by several folks she stood by her guns about this being the very last day for the offer. I’m sure I won’t hear this pitch on the return tomorrow.

The shilling is annoying but the only objection I have is to the patently false information. Why is it permissible for FAs to lie about this stuff?

355F1 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
FA on my flight went off script a bit, theorizing about how the miles could be used to get those college kids back home for the holidays.

Which I suppose is true. Even though more than likely it'll be 30k+ each way for an anytime award for peak holiday travel.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Well I'm certain that if FAs got $50 per PDB served the whole cabine would be smashed before takeoff.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Flew 6 segments last week ..ord to Phx rt Phx to Las and Ord to Sju rt..pitches on all six flights..slightly different as to the benefits..some mentioned you would be in group 5 for boarding which certainly doesn't. Seem like a big jump up..that the bonus miles could get you that dream vacation, 2 3 or 4 tickets, but my favorite was on the return from Sju they said you can't have an address in Canada Mexico or Puerto rico..it has to be in the US...while Barclays may have excluded US territories for underwriting purposes I think it's not exactly pc to say its not the US...they also did a comparison to the citi offers being hawked in the airport by indicating you only needed to buy a pack of gum or cup of coffee to get the bonus miles..

I'm definitely in the this is really annoying camp.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
It's fascinating to me how difficult it seems to be for many participants in the AA forum to come to grips with what AA has become, but folks, THIS is what AA has become.

Regards
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I agree with you...this is just the safe place to rant..
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by worldiswide
I agree with you...this is just the safe place to rant..
No worries, I wasn't pointing at you specifically (and thus why I didn't quote you directly), this thread is 19 pages long.

But I think there are some that just keep thinking it's somehow going to get "better" contrary to several years of evidence that its not going to get better; in fact I suspect it will continue to get worse.

I will say this, my wife and I flew in paid F on United recently (domestic) and they basically do the exact same thing (pitch their credit card), but they do it via the seat back video right at the beginning of the flight (I can't remember if it was before or after the safety video) and it just didn't seem quite as desperate as having the actual FAs do it. And once the video was done, it was done. No multiple attempts and reminders after that. So I'd say if they have to do it, that would be the better way in my book.

Regards
worldiswide likes this.

Last edited by scubadu; Oct 30, 2018 at 8:57 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ryan182
Well I'm certain that if FAs got $50 per PDB served the whole cabine would be smashed before takeoff.
Now there is a thought! ^
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I agree its going to get worse. If fuel prices continue to climb not just AA but all airlines will be hunting for non ticket revenue. I can imagine one day after the beverage service is done the FAs will be back out in the aisle with a cart of "merchandise" (junk) to be hawked. Look for seats that more resemble those on your school bus you rode years ago to school. Ryanair is the future. Thank god for noise cancelling headphones.

From the brief time I spent in marketing I came to conclusion that its all a bunch of bs. I run of ......s sitting in a room with Excel Spreadsheets claiming their data says consumers like to be constantly pitched.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.