AA FAs Now Hawking AA Credit Cards Inflight

Old Jun 3, 15, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
AA FAs Now Hawking AA Credit Cards Inflight

Not sure if I never really paid attention to this before or if it's new enhancement a la the merger...

On my ORD-PHL flight today the pm-AA FAs made an announcement peddling the AA credit card and then tried to hand applications to everyone. I know this was SOP on US but not on AA. I really dislike pushing the credit card on me...on any airline.
Old Jun 3, 15, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
Not sure if I never really paid attention to this before or if it's new enhancement a la the merger...

On my ORD-PHL flight today the pm-AA FAs made an announcement peddling the AA credit card and then tried to hand applications to everyone. I know this was SOP on US but not on AA. I really dislike pushing the credit card on me...on any airline.
It's been in place for some time, and the FAs are not required to do it (in fact, they can't do it without first taking an online course).
Old Jun 3, 15, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was on a flight to PLS from CLT earlier in the year and it was an absolute disgrace. The FA was on the PA for about 5 mins and might as well have read the entire FT US/AA Wiki to us. They are obviously on commission and it was an obnoxious sell.
Old Jun 3, 15, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
But let's remember, they don't earn a ton of money. I'm willing to put up with a few extra minutes of announcements if it might help them earn a bit extra. Doesn't bother me. The AAngels in the Admirals Clubs are also commissioned (or maybe bonused) on memberships, both new and renewal.
Old Jun 3, 15, 10:51 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
But let's remember, they don't earn a ton of money. I'm willing to put up with a few extra minutes of announcements if it might help them earn a bit extra. Doesn't bother me. The AAngels in the Admirals Clubs are also commissioned (or maybe bonused) on memberships, both new and renewal.
pmUS flight attendants were among the lowest paid, so it makes sense they would try to earn extra through commissions. However, both US and AA flight attendants got raises after the merger so there is less need to push credit card applications.

I haven't heard any credit card announcements on any of my post merger AA flights. YMMV.
Old Jun 3, 15, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
I have now heard this a few times and have sent AA a note expressing my displeasure. On a flight from CLT-AUA (a US operated flight) the FA was so obnoxious about the CC and duty free purchases. On a 7a flight she probably made no less then 10 announcements. I commented to her that she was a hell of a saleswoman and she said had been the top producer for several years and that "US Airways can't afford to keep me".

The CC thing is IMO obnoxious. First, I already have the card(s). Second, I don't pay hundreds of dollars to be subjected to an annoying sales pitch.
Old Jun 3, 15, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
pmUS flight attendants were among the lowest paid, so it makes sense they would try to earn extra through commissions. However, both US and AA flight attendants got raises after the merger so there is less need to push credit card applications.

I haven't heard any credit card announcements on any of my post merger AA flights. YMMV.
Originally Posted by ssafro1 View Post
I have now heard this a few times and have sent AA a note expressing my displeasure. On a flight from CLT-AUA (a US operated flight) the FA was so obnoxious about the CC and duty free purchases. On a 7a flight she probably made no less then 10 announcements. I commented to her that she was a hell of a saleswoman and she said had been the top producer for several years and that "US Airways can't afford to keep me".

The CC thing is IMO obnoxious. First, I already have the card(s). Second, I don't pay hundreds of dollars to be subjected to an annoying sales pitch.
On my LAS-ORD flight no time to do PDBs, lackluster service, but multiple CC announcements and at least two pass-throughs with a PMAA crew.

Out of my 3 AA flights on this trip, by far the best service was on US - the problem with AA isn't the CC pitches -- it is the overall level of service.
Old Jun 3, 15, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
I flew the following flights last week: OKC/DFW, DFW/PHL (pmUS), PHL/DFW, DFW/IAH, IAH/DFW, DFW/OKC

Only on one did they even bring it up, and it was a quick mention - something along the lines of "We also welcome our AA cardholders on board. If you aren't a card holder, ask for an application. A bonus signup of (50k?) miles is available if you sign up and are approved".

As long as they keep it short like that and only once, I don't care.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jun 3, 15, 4:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
I flew the following flights last week: OKC/DFW, DFW/PHL (pmUS), PHL/DFW, DFW/IAH, IAH/DFW, DFW/OKC

Only on one did they even bring it up, and it was a quick mention - something along the lines of "We also welcome our AA cardholders on board. If you aren't a card holder, ask for an application. A bonus signup of (50k?) miles is available if you sign up and are approved".

As long as they keep it short like that and only once, I don't care.
+1

Short announcement (first time I've heard it) on my flight from SAN to DFW a couple of weeks ago. FA then went down the aisle with the apps (not pushy, just a quick pass down the aisle). I took one because I was interested to see what they were offering (vs what I can find on-line).

Turned out to be a better offer than anything I found on-line (on these forums and others). 50,000 miles plus 2 AC passes. Filled out the app and mailed it in myself (DID NOT give it back to the FA). My new card is on its way. FA put her code number on the app so I assume she'll get the $50 bonus.

To me it's no worse then them hawking duty free (which I know has now been discontinued) or even the packaged food.
Old Jun 3, 15, 4:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I've yet to have this happen on an LAA flight but I complain every time I have to sit through it on an LUS flight.

As mentioned earlier, the inflight offer is usually better than what you can get on the ground.
Old Jun 3, 15, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by TxTrav View Post
+1

Short announcement (first time I've heard it) on my flight from SAN to DFW a couple of weeks ago. FA then went down the aisle with the apps (not pushy, just a quick pass down the aisle). I took one because I was interested to see what they were offering (vs what I can find on-line).

Turned out to be a better offer than anything I found on-line (on these forums and others). 50,000 miles plus 2 AC passes. Filled out the app and mailed it in myself (DID NOT give it back to the FA). My new card is on its way. FA put her code number on the app so I assume she'll get the $50 bonus.

To me it's no worse then them hawking duty free (which I know has now been discontinued) or even the packaged food.

AA is not alone AS does it on every flight ! After awhile I just tune it out unless of course the FA gets carried away. AT the end of the day you have no real choice, you are a captive audience and it's their metal tube
Old Jun 3, 15, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Some more info in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-like-us.html

I've thankfully not experienced this for several months on LAA flights, though it wouldn't surprise me to hear it more often in the upcoming months. :/
Old Jun 3, 15, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
However, both US and AA flight attendants got raises after the merger so there is less need to push credit card applications.
Less of a need, perhaps. But if they've got a chance to make a few extra $$ for saying some sales pitch into the PA system for a minute, I'm not going to begrudge them that.
Old Jun 3, 15, 7:01 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet. No longer loyal to one airline. DL doesn't get the value of relationships.
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
Less of a need, perhaps. But if they've got a chance to make a few extra $$ for saying some sales pitch into the PA system for a minute, I'm not going to begrudge them that.
My annoyance is not with the effort, but the fact that I already have both the Citi branded M/C, and Amex cards, as well as a Barclays M/C. There are no more vertical sales to be squeezed from this turnip.
Old Jun 3, 15, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours View Post
My annoyance is not with the effort, but the fact that I already have both the Citi branded M/C, and Amex cards, as well as a Barclays M/C. There are no more vertical sales to be squeezed from this turnip.
The FAs can't possibly know that. And there are loads of pax who won't have any of those cards.

Search this Thread