Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: Please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-ticketed.html for the current thread.

"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
It was the same award type and the fees were refunded as well. I think it had to be reissued because it was a reduced mileage award and the change in dates required a new discount code. This confused the agent and I think she had to cancel/rebook to get it to work (it took a while to convince her the new dates were eligible as well). I didn't try to cancel online because I wasn't sure this wouldn't trigger cancellation fees.
Pretty sure you should be able to just cancel it.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
My experience has been if you leave it pending they will either manually fix it a few days before departure or if more information or payment is needed they will call you. I would just call and cancel if.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I would contact AA and straighten it out. I had a “ticket pending” that never ticketed since the AA voucher I had used was invalid, but AA never contacted me to sort it out. Be proactive.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I've had a Qantas J ticket stuck at "On Request" for about 3 days now. At what point should I call in?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by invalyd
I've had a Qantas J ticket stuck at "On Request" for about 3 days now. At what point should I call in?
A day ago.

Two business days should be more than enough. Best to call early in case there is a snag and get it addressed than wait a week and hope it can still go through. Just a polite status check should do it.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I’ve booked 6 awards off and on on the past three weeks for travel 3+ months from now. Thy have all ticketed by next business day if not same day. You should be calling if you have reservations pending beyond this timeframe.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Honors Diamond, BAEC Silver
Would a booking show as 'on request' after I received the email confirmation of changes (with new ticket numbers) after phoning AA for the change?

I made a change early on 1st Feb to an existing booking for May containing BA, CX and TN to move from BA J to BA F. I received the booking confirmation shortly after the call to AA and selected seats. I later pulled up the booking on AA's site but it's showing as 'on request'. Usually BA tickets quite quickly and, unless my memory is failing me, I don't recall receiving ticket confirmation while the booking is still 'on request'. Something weird here or just AA as usual?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
It means the changes have not been ticketed.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Hold is supposed to expire today ... and i see no link to pay/complete the reservation. what gives?
Originally Posted by _kurt
They removed the "Purchase" button at the bottom of the held reservation page and replaced it with a "Pay" button near the top of the page. Any chance you're just overlooking it? Happened to me yesterday...
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
nope...there's no "pay" link or button on top or bottom or anywhere. only options i see on top are

Cancel trip
Email trip
Send to calendar
Print trip
I just had this happen as well. I went to purchase an award that had been on hold (AA metal), and there was no link, top or bottom of the screen, to "Pay for trip." From postings here, it appears this bug has been around for at least 2 years, yet Web Support did not believe me, and when they confirmed my experience via a screen share, they had no explanation for why it was occurring. They manually completed the purchase over the phone.

I'm not sure if it's germane, but I was booking an award for myself, using my wife's account and miles. The award was put on hold successfully 5 days ago; the problem arose only when trying to pay for the award.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Wanted to share my experience booking JAL using AA miles. I was originally ticketed on ORD-NRT but went to change it. I've been calling the HK center to get a rep quicker. Last night, the rep I got wasn't able to look up space himself but had to contact another person. He took my credit card number for the change fee and everything seemed to be fine. This morning, the PNR still said on-request so I called in again. This rep said it wasn't done properly (under control) and had to be processed manually. She then had to take my CC details again and now I see it's ticketed. My flight is tomorrow, I'm glad I checked again.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
How long do JL award tickets take to confirm?

I have just made my first JL award booking through AAdvantage, and the reservation has been hanging on "On request" for the past 6-7 hours.
Is this typical for JL bookings?

Also, the miles have yet to be deducted from my account, but am I correct this will happen automatically when the ticket is actually issued?

Normally I would not think anything of waiting up to 24 hours, but I have had so many cases in the past where AA phone agents have done something that causes a reservation to hold indefinitely (both in the case of partner airlines and tix on AA flights).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
My recent trip on JL was confirmed within a few hours, if you made the reservation over the weekend, give it till Monday, if you have a record locator, just call AA is see where it stands.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EP
I believe it will continue to say “on request” until ticketed. U can ask aa if they have received a confirmation back from JL (ie, a JL record locator). Usually they come back In minutes — or less.

Originally Posted by mcrw00
I have just made my first JL award booking through AAdvantage, and the reservation has been hanging on "On request" for the past 6-7 hours.
Is this typical for JL bookings?

Also, the miles have yet to be deducted from my account, but am I correct this will happen automatically when the ticket is actually issued?

Normally I would not think anything of waiting up to 24 hours, but I have had so many cases in the past where AA phone agents have done something that causes a reservation to hold indefinitely (both in the case of partner airlines and tix on AA flights).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, HawaiianMiles

I thought I was out of the woods with this latest schedule change. Spoke with a ticket agent yesterday on the phone who was able to help me with everything. All but one of my reservations was ticketed. Usually it only takes a couple hours but this one has been since last night. The reservation still says "Status: Ticket pending". Should this be a cause for alarm?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by johnr863
I thought I was out of the woods with this latest schedule change. Spoke with a ticket agent yesterday on the phone who was able to help me with everything. All but one of my reservations was ticketed. Usually it only takes a couple hours but this one has been since last night. The reservation still says "Status: Ticket pending". Should this be a cause for alarm?
Sometimes ticketing takes longer if travel is farther out, as it gets queued up after close in ticketing. If it’s sooner, call to resolve a possible issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.