Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA miles for First Class - Separate TSA line at MSP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I have only flown First 1 other time. Is there a separate TSA line for First Class customers at MSP? This will be my wife 1st time in First Class and I want to make sure she gets the whole experience.

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3M Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dudspizza
I have only flown First 1 other time. Is there a separate TSA line for First Class customers at MSP? This will be my wife 1st time in First Class and I want to make sure she gets the whole experience.

Thanks.
Yes...when facing AA counter it's to your left..on the right side of the General Security line there is a person checking for Premium passengers. If it matters, Pre Check is further towards the middle of the Terminal.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP has a line for premium cabin and elite passengers on all airlines in addition to a similar line that DL maintains for its own passengers. Precheck is to the left of the special DL line, in the very center of the terminal building and to the left of DL's elite check in area, IIRC both at checkpoint 4.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
To be clear at most (maybe all) airports you can choose the Priority lane (if available) or the Pre-Check lane (if you have pre-check and its available).

I don't think you'll ever find a pre-check lane for priority customers only. To me pre-check > priority so I would suggest going with pre-check lane as its the fastest and least hassled.
deeruck likes this.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH

Thanks.
Hate to say this, but the whole experience does not begin at TSA - not even at MSP. I've flown through that airport many times and depending on the time and day of your travel, the elite line is not that great. If you travel on a Sunday, Monday or Thursday, there could be so many elites you're better off going to the farthest security entrance just to make it through.

Make it past TSA and maybe the groping and look forward to your pre-departure drinks.

Happy travels!
MarkOK likes this.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
Well, if saving maybe a few minutes in line is an "experience", then I think your wife needs to get out more!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:12 am

Anyone have an update on AA lines since the TSA remodeled the MSP checkpoints? I haven't flown out of MSP since the remodel completed. I'll have F/J tickets as well as Pre.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by motytrah
Anyone have an update on AA lines since the TSA remodeled the MSP checkpoints? I haven't flown out of MSP since the remodel completed. I'll have F/J tickets as well as Pre.
It's quite a difference. When facing AA counter, all three security lines are now to the right where the various restaurants used to be. So far, it's been a very good system no matter when you are there.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
If you are flying very early in the AM make sure you do not confuse the baggage checking line with the TSA PreCheck line. I walked in at 4:30 AM for a 5:15 flight and thought the PreCheck line was like a mile long but it was baggage checkers, I had to maneuver around them to get to PreCheck
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GBBob
It's quite a difference. When facing AA counter, all three security lines are now to the right where the various restaurants used to be. So far, it's been a very good system no matter when you are there.
Those of us who fly from MSP would strongly disagree with the last statement. The reconfigured TSA lines have been an enormous mess. Indeed, twice it took me about an hour to get through PreCheck in an airport where previously a ten minute wait would have been a bad day.

BTW in response to an earlier comment in this thread, before the reconfiguration, DL elites who also were PreCheck had their own line and it was wonderful.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Those of us who fly from MSP would strongly disagree with the last statement. The reconfigured TSA lines have been an enormous mess. Indeed, twice it took me about an hour to get through PreCheck in an airport where previously a ten minute wait would have been a bad day.

BTW in response to an earlier comment in this thread, before the reconfiguration, DL elites who also were PreCheck had their own line and it was wonderful.
I'm up there weekly and must be very lucky as have not seen these delays...Probably just jinxed myself.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:49 pm

I'm heading out very early AM flight. In the past there's never been much wait for security for a flight that starts boarding around 5am. I'm hoping that continues to be the case.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
MSP has a line for premium cabin and elite passengers on all airlines in addition to a similar line that DL maintains for its own passengers. Precheck is to the left of the special DL line, in the very center of the terminal building and to the left of DL's elite check in area, IIRC both at checkpoint 4.

Any updates for 2020 ? We have an early flight on a Saturday in March. Will there be a First Class TSA line for American Airlines passengers ? Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Any updates for 2020 ? We have an early flight on a Saturday in March. Will there be a First Class TSA line for American Airlines passengers ? Thanks
Yes- there is a 'Premium' cabin lane for all airlines, manned by the usual minimum-wage/contractor- show them your F ticket, keep walking/tell them that you belong and they'll waive you through.

FWIW, though, Saturdays in March can get dicey for wait times if it's a Spring Break week, which is like 75% of March weekends given the layering of break times for MN schools.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:52 am

The all airlines checkpoint at MSP T1 is the North checkpoint, to your far right as you enter the terminal and to the right of the AA check in counters.It's closer to the AA gates than the South (DL and partners) checkpoint, on the far left.

BTW, the PGA lounge is PP and Escape (which is quite nice but has no lavatories inside) grants entry to AmEx Plat cardholders. Both are upstairs airside on the mezzanine level at the start of the E concourse, but you must use different stairs/elevators to access these lounges.

I agree with the advice to expect spring break crowds of inexperienced travelers at MSP in March. Airport parking is likely to be full too and there can be traffic jams around the terminal. Allow plenty of extra time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.