Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA - US Reservations Merger 18 Jul - 16 Oct; US code / brand end 17 Oct 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"One system. One code." Target: Effective Saturday, October 17, 2015.
AA and US Computer Reservations and Passenger Services Systems Merge 18 Jul - 16 Oct 2015
US Shares data moved to AA Sabre (with the QIK overlay used by US) in 3 month "draindown" process.
LAA - LUS fora move to "Combined" forum occurs 17-18 October.

NOTE: This thread is now archived. For the current thread, please see AA -US CRS & PSS and Brand Merger 17 Oct 2015 - Issues, Q & A, Etc.
OCTOBER 17 2015 CHANGES: The AA front page now links to nhttps://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/arriving.jsp, which lists changes on October 17 at BOS, DCA, SFO.

BOS: Special notice Link

Beginning October 17, we’ll only operate out of Terminal B. There will be 3 check-in locations, marked outside by gate number.
DCA: Special notice Link

Beginning October 17, we’ll operate out of Terminals B and C. American Shuttle flights and ticket counters will move to Terminal B, as well as ticket counters for Priority. Ticket counters for Main Cabin will be in Terminal C.
SFO: Special notice Link

We operate out of Terminals 1 and 2. Ticket counters are only available in Terminal 2..
Note: "Just the facts: changes and issues occurring 17 Oct 2015" and "Drain down" (Shares -> Sabre merger) discrepancies, errors, bugs etc. for issues, troubles, etc. have been merged into this thread.
Executive summary:
  • All flights will be changed to AA, reservations and bookings controls to Sabre and aa.com for flights effective 17 October.

• All US Shares data will move to AA Sabre by 17 Oct; the QIK interface used with Shares will be added to Sabre.

• On Saturday, 17 October., AA will have 20% higher than normal staffing to assist.

• On Saturday, 17 October., AA will reduce by 200 flights for that day.

• All policies going forward will be Legacy American Airlines, unless otherwise modified. US Airways policies will no longer apply.

• Full rebranding (other than aircraft reprinting, which will proceed well into 2016 at least) will be carried out by October 17 - all flight coding, kiosk and ticket counter, lounge (previously completed), etc. will be done.

• The US Airways brand will cease to exist 17 October 2015.
NOTE: Reverse chronological order.

Chicago Tribune, 14 Oct 2015, c/o XLR26 (post #410):

From an article in today's Chicago Tribune:

American Airlines officials say they have spared no expense to decrease the chances the airline will have trouble Saturday but can't guarantee complete success. Here's what American has done so far:

• It switched to the larger airline's reservation system, which requires moving less data and less retraining of employees.

• In July, it began draining US Airways reservations from the system, leaving fewer records to migrate, just 4 percent of all reservations.

• American did six full-scale tests of the migration with 5 million mock plane reservations.

• Staffing levels at airports will be increased 20 percent Saturday.

• American's flight schedule Saturday has been reduced by some 200 flights.

• Airport agents and reservation agents had extra training.

• USAirways.com will automatically redirect to AA.com on Saturday, and the US Airways mobile app will be disabled.

Full article: link (May need to Google the headline to avoid the paywall.)
23 Sep 2015: Latest in Sabre dated 9/23 (c/o skunker, post #392)
An important message from American Global Sales

In preparation for moving all US Airways flights to the Sabre reservation system, American Global Sales encourages you to process any remaining merger schedule changes and reissue tickets on the original ticket stock no later than October 1, 2015. This will ensure you maintain control of these tickets.

After October 1, American may reissue any tickets you haven't processed to ensure all customers are ready for travel on or after October 17. On that day, Sabre will serve as the single reservation system and all flights will use the American Airlines code.
Obviously this is aimed at TAs, but if you have tickets issued by a TA you might want to check that they have be reissued correctly

This FAQ should be viewable by all: http://www.aasaleslink.com/servlet/s...0PE000000L05GR see skunker, below.

17 Sep: 30 days away, and all flights show as AA after 16 Oct - online meal ordering on aa.com works for US flights now coded AA flights.

Sep 15 2015: AA has adopted US' baggage tracking system (SITA World Tracer system here). Better tracking, but you MUST file your claim at the airport now; calling won't do.

From JonNYC, 19 Jul 2015 (post #175):

Originally Posted by JonNYC
PNR migration is now 100% complete.

And, things should be mostly bookable by this afternoon.
From JonNYC 10 July 2015 (post #103):

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....next-saturday/

American begins the process of moving US Airways flights and reservations over to become American Airlines flights and reservations. It’s a 90 day process, so October 17 there will no longer be US Airways flights.

Starting next weekend, US Airways flights October 17 onward will be moved over to American’s reservation system. Attempts to book flights 17 Oct or later are referred to aa.com.
From swag: The farewell flight for US Airways will be a red-eye — Flight 434 is scheduled to leave San Francisco around 10 p.m. and land in Philadelphia after 6 a.m. on Oct. 18.

http://news.yahoo.com/last-flight-us...--finance.html

BUT in light of what AA says, might it be 16 October?
AA partial statement 10 Jul 2015:

Scheduled on a US Airways flight departing on or after October 17? Here's what to keep in mind:
  • Once your flight becomes an American flight, we'll send you an email with your itinerary and new record locator. Look for the subject line: "An important update to your reservation." If you booked through a travel agent, you can view your reservation on aa.com as early as July 20.
  • Upgrades on domestic flights will be auto-requested if everyone in your reservation is eligible for a complimentary upgrade. If everyone isn't eligible, you'll need to manually request the upgrade.
  • Upgrades for a companion traveling on the same flight will need to be requested using 500-mile upgrades. If you want to upgrade a companion, make sure you request it.
  • You can request upgrades on aa.com, by calling reservations or your travel agent, or at the airport on the day of travel.
  • As always, you can get alerts for all of your flights by signing up for BeNotified. And, you can download the American Airlines app for a more personalized mobile experience and quick access to all of your flight information.
Originally Posted by skunker
(11 Jun 2015) Just noticed this in Sabre

We have been working with American Airlines since they announced the process of transitioning the US Airways reservations from Shares to Sabre. We would like to provide you with the following update:

This will begin with a merger schedule change process as early as July 2015, which will convert all US Airways flights from about 90 days out and beyond to American flights. As a result, you will notice these existing PNRs with US segments will be updated to reflect this change and will appear as AA segments. American currently is conducting various tests and business readiness assessments and will identify specific dates once these activities are complete.
WSJ 12 May 2015: American Airlines Group Inc. plans this summer to meld key computer systems from the two carriers that combined in its merger 17 months ago, as it works toward eliminating the US Airways brand by the end of this year.

The company said in a letter to ticket sellers on Tuesday that it would begin the transition as early as July, with the final so-called cutover happening 90 days later, when flights with the US Airways brand will end. That milestone would signal the company is finished with the biggest parts of the integration kicked off by the December 2013 merger between the former American and US Airways to form the world’s biggest airline.
"Drain down" from AA : The transition period of ninety days is being called a "drain down", according to IT Chief Maya Lieberman, who said the benefit of the AA - US merger is that AA has learned from the other (NW - DL, UA - CO) mergers - albeit once the process has begun, there can be no turning back. The "drain down" period will lead to no US flights existing after the 90th day; all sites, kiosks, flights, passenger service lines etc. will be branded American Airlines. Those attempting booking flights during this 90 day period for US flights beyond the 90 day transition period will be redirected to booking AA flights on aa.com.

This is being referred to as "One system. One code."

There are a lot of details that could change in a PNR, but this is probably the most important:
•Seat Assignments – All US seats previously assigned will be re-accommodated as the same seat number on the AA flight
[/quote]

Suggestion: For your comfort, ease of upgrades and miles posting, do not book codeshares. At some point soon, you won't be allowed to book US flights for October 17 or later.

When it's over, all upgrades and other policies will follow the current AA AAdvantage system; the vestiges of the US upgrade system, move up, etc. will be gone.

[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA - US Reservations Merger 18 Jul - 16 Oct; US code / brand end 17 Oct 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 12:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nlkm9
so how do I avoid that? I dont understand how to avoid a "codeshare"--and thank you
is there a way to look at an itinerary and tell its a code share?? thank you
aa.com: What's a codeshare?

Who's operating my flight?

With a codeshare flight, the operating carrier is the airline that flies the plane, and the marketing carrier is the partner airline that sells seats on the operating carrier's flights.

You can tell which carrier is operating your flight:
  • Next to the flight number when you book the flight
  • In your AAdvantage profile after you book
  • In your confirmation email
  • On the check-in reminder email 24 hours before your flight
Old May 15, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkP24
if it says USAirways flight # X and then underneath it says operated by American Airlines, or vice versa, it's a codeshare.

OK-thank you--do you have any tips on how to avoid a codeshare being booked for me or in general avoid codeshares? thanks for your time
Old May 15, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Tell your travel agent "don't book an American or USAirways flight as a code share" - he/she will know what that means.

If doing it yourself, just avoid anything that says "operated by" the other airline. Confusingly, "Operated by" Republic, Air Wisconsin, etc. is OK - just not the other party in the merger.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JDiver
One (WSJ) article quotes Maya Lieberman as saying something very much like that:

IMO, that's exactly the proper attitude. And if this systems integration goes smoothly, it will be another feather - no, an entire feather bonnet - in Ms. lieberman's hat.
On any merger integration project, my guidance to my team is "assume you're already behind schedule, and all issues are critical until proven otherwise".

I gagged when I read this at CF:
The way they explain it, it’s hard to imagine this going wrong.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Tell your travel agent "don't book an American or USAirways flight as a code share" - he/she will know what that means.

If doing it yourself, just avoid anything that says "operated by" the other airline. Confusingly, "Operated by" Republic, Air Wisconsin, etc. is OK - just not the other party in the merger.
wow thank you so much!!!
Old May 16, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
On any merger integration project, my guidance to my team is "assume you're already behind schedule, and all issues are critical until proven otherwise".

I gagged when I read this at CF:
"...it's hard to imagine this going wrong."

ROTFLMAO! From the perspective years ago I was an aviation c&e global troubleshooter and ATC systems installer.

I like your approach much, much better; much more realistic than crossing one's fingers and saying things like that.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
And, did I mention, DO NOT BOOK CODESHARES.
Perhaps another takeaway - For flights departing Nov 1 and beyond, it is now okay to book codeshares.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:47 am

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 11, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 11:21 am

"...it's hard to imagine this going wrong."

ROTFLMAO! From the perspective years ago I was an aviation c&e global troubleshooter and ATC systems installer.

I like your approach much, much better; much more realistic than crossing one's fingers and saying things like that.
I am a bit more willing to give Parker the benefit of the doubt. The merging of the FFP was no small task, occurred over a weekend, generally considered a success. It was naive for CO/UA to believe that the reservation system consolidation could happen overnight, allowing a 90 window leaves lots of room to address issues as they arise, minimize their effects on operations, customers.

Personally, I would have waited until after Labor Day, after summer vacation season; should still allow PLENTY of time to work out the bugs before the busy Thanksgiving travel season.

I currently have 2 trips scheduled during the period, both on AA metal, in early July and late October, will do my best to avoid making further plans during this time.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by diver858
I am a bit more willing to give Parker the benefit of the doubt. The merging of the FFP was no small task, occurred over a weekend, generally considered a success. It was naive for CO/UA to believe that the reservation system consolidation could happen overnight, allowing a 90 window leaves lots of room to address issues as they arise, minimize their effects on operations, customers.

Personally, I would have waited until after Labor Day, after summer vacation season; should still allow PLENTY of time to work out the bugs before the busy Thanksgiving travel season.

I currently have 2 trips scheduled during the period, both on AA metal, in early July and late October, will do my best to avoid making further plans during this time.
I hope this doesn't look like colluding divers , but I agree.

Plenty of kudos to Parker, Liebman et al so far. It's just that such complexity can get bollixed up by unexpected issues and events. (Like the time we cabled and wired up for power a full "de novo" Air Traffic Control Center in Japan and tech rep "Robbie" came in to check our progress, pulled the main Power Distribution Panel switch and fried a number of cables, switching systems, etc. and set us back weeks. Never ignore the potential for the "Robbie effect" or unforeseen glitches or hidden incompatibility.)

Hopefully, the "drain down" of one quarter will give everyone a nice "buffer" of time to work these things out.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:50 pm

Both trips are leisure, with some allowance for delays. Should the consolidation cause inconvenience, I will be quick to complain, expect elites to be treated extra special, well compensated.

Should be lots of red jackets visible in major hubs.

If / when they screw up, I would expect a year end elite promotion, like the Q413 Double EQM, (due to work slowdown earlier in the year) - followed by a change to a revenue model for elite qualification ( a la DL and UA) in 2016...
Old May 17, 2015, 5:56 pm

Both trips are leisure, with some allowance for delays. Should the consolidation cause inconvenience, I will be quick to complain, expect elites to be treated extra special, well compensated.

Should be lots of red jackets visible in major hubs.

If / when they screw up, I would expect a year end elite promotion, like the Q413 Double EQM, (due to work slowdown earlier in the year) - followed by a change to a revenue model for elite qualification ( a la DL and UA) in 2016...
Divers have dry senses of humor. (Or, we're narc'ed.)

As far as going to a revenue model, they can do that several ways if they choose to do that - qualifying on EQ Points, for one. We'll see what the Parker administration choose to do as they see if DL and UA genuinely benefit from the$e change$.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:12 am

I wonder, as i go on my codeshare flight today with no upgrade, will I still be offered a complimentary drink? it would be nice
Old May 18, 2015, 10:16 am

I wonder, as i go on my codeshare flight today with no upgrade, will I still be offered a complimentary drink? it would be nice
If they don't offer, ask.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:34 pm

my question is, are they supposed to?? I know it was standard at AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.