Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club and a DC Drivers License Woes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Since the merger I have had to show my ID (in addition to my club card) to access the ORD lounges. As a US club member, we didn't have to do this at my home club at DCA or anywhere really, but I get that's it the AA way. One day I asked why and they told me I didn't have my photo on my profile. I asked how I could add it and was told they just scan my drivers license. Great! I offered my DL but when she tried to scan it she kept getting errors and told me her machine was down. No biggie, I'll try next time. This continued for like a month. Finally today I was told that their machine only accepts State issued DLs and DC isn't a state. Yeah, I know, it's a District (having lived there for years) but how can the software NOT accept a DC license?! This isn't as bad as having to explain to numerous TSA agents that a DC license is real, but come on. I once even had someone ask how it got it. I explained I lived there and they replied (I'm not making this up) "like in the White House?". Anyway, I guess that I'm just annoyed that AA can't scan my DL and that people don't know that a DC license is a real thing.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I'd complain to your US Senator...
Old May 9, 2015, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I'd complain to your US Senator...
Funny.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I know they scan bar codes; do they have a "scanner" scanner that scans photos? Or is it just the existence of a photo item that is needed?
Old May 9, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by nrr
I know they scan bar codes; do they have a "scanner" scanner that scans photos? Or is it just the existence of a photo item that is needed?
They can scan the photo from your DL and add it to your AC profile, that way you can give them your number upon entering the club - no ID required. They scanned mine (FL DL) in MIA over a year ago and I can tell the AAngels at any AC my number and enter since my photo is there...
Old May 9, 2015, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call AA. Expecting a front line agent to know the intricacies of AA's technology is the same as expecting an IT person to know where the men's room is relative to a gate at a given airport.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:30 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Taxation without representation...

Old May 9, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
Question

It is not clear where you are having the DL scanned but I am guessing it is at ORD.
Question: have you tried asking the very nice Admirals Club agents at DCA, specifically at the B concourse lounge?
Old May 9, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
This has been an issue for me as well. As recently as Thursday in MIA (D15 club) I asked them to scan my DL and add the photo to my account but was told that the system does not accept DC licenses. Not a huge deal, just a slight inconvenience.

The worst experience I've had was with a grumpy TSA officer in BNA who said my DL "seemed suspicious" and looked up the DC license in an old 3 ring binder. Naturally, the binder was out of date and showed an older version from years ago. Took about 15 minutes of arguing with him and a supervisor before they let me through.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Web services / tech support:

Call us Within the U.S. and Canada
800-222-2377 Daily 6 a.m. - 2 a.m. (CT)

Or e-mail them via this link.

When they set up the system, they obviously missed the U.S. Capital.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by njvandy
The worst experience I've had was with a grumpy TSA officer in BNA who said my DL "seemed suspicious" and looked up the DC license in an old 3 ring binder. Naturally, the binder was out of date and showed an older version from years ago. Took about 15 minutes of arguing with him and a supervisor before they let me through.
Just wait for one of them to say "You're from Colombia? I need to see a passport."
Old May 10, 2015, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by njvandy
For $8/hr, you're just not going to get the sharpest tools in the shed.......
Old May 10, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rjw242
Just wait for one of them to say "You're from Colombia? I need to see a passport."
Or the CBP agent who decided to "educate" me when he asked "What state were you born in?". I answered Washington, DC and he launched off on it not being a state, etc., etc. Cute but I was tired after a long flight FRA>DFW in coach and was in no mood to get in a battle of wits with him.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by rjw242
Happened to me at IAH last month when I was very late for my flight. Luckily a supervisor quickly let me through.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KIR@GCM
It is not clear where you are having the DL scanned but I am guessing it is at ORD.
Question: have you tried asking the very nice Admirals Club agents at DCA, specifically at the B concourse lounge?
Yeah, they can't scan it there either. Their software (for the Admirals Club) doesn't recognize DC DLs. I can bring in a passport to scan, but I never leave from DCA for International trips and when I leave from ORD I leave from T5 and the pic is me +80 lbs. ago so it looks nothing like me anymore. I just need to wait until I get my new passport in a few months. Not a big deal, just more annoying than anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.