Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to embark on Admirals Clubs refurbishment (2015 - consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

American Airlines to renovate airport lounges
By Gregory Karp, Chicago Tribune
Link

In part:

American calls the makeover the "most extensive refresh in history," starting with clubs in Phoenix and Sao Paulo, and extending this year to Miami, Kennedy International Airport in New York, Dallas/Fort Worth and Los Angeles. It said lounges in Chicago, London and other key cities will be renovated "in the coming years."

American said it is also upgrading food and refreshments offered in the clubs.
Miami - ¡si!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: Several
That's good news. I've found that most Admirals Clubs I visit are kept rather well, though I definitely haven't visited them all. What's more interesting to me though is that Phoenix is one of the first on the list to get renovated which leads me to believe that PHX will play a larger role in the future AA than many speculated.

Maybe I'm grasping with this, and their long term plan is to slow PHX down, however I'd think they would update ORD & DFW prior to PHX if PHX wasn't in their future.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
That's good news. I've found that most Admirals Clubs I visit are kept rather well, though I definitely haven't visited them all. What's more interesting to me though is that Phoenix is one of the first on the list to get renovated which leads me to believe that PHX will play a larger role in the future AA than many speculated.

Maybe I'm grasping with this, and their long term plan is to slow PHX down, however I'd think they would update ORD & DFW prior to PHX if PHX wasn't in their future.
Well furbished? I grimace at that comment. They are in desperate need.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag2/SDYANKEENY/1146D30B-82BF-4665-9483-C010D216FACF_zpsdqmtvass.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag2/SDYANKEENY/0A39A0F2-1944-4E2D-AD72-296AB24BE6AB_zps2q8bofmt.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag2/SDYANKEENY/B906294F-4D62-453F-A018-DB02DC3C37F6_zpsovxeqhi1.jpg

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 28, 2015 at 8:00 am Reason: Please reduce image size or use URL links
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I've always been happy with the AC at LAX... However, I was in the United Club at Houston Terminal A yesterday and was really impressed with the food offerings. It's great to see AA go in this direction. I know food is definitely not as important as wifi, outlets, and AAngels, but having the food option is really pleasant when the airport's food options is mediocre. LAX is easy--there's Real Food Daily.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Well furbished? I grimace at that comment. They are in desperate need.
I've always found them to be pretty clean, and I've seen those pictures before. I'm not saying they're perfect 100% of the time, however I think they are better than the competition in the US for the most part.

Not to be rude, however I think you're expecting a little too much when it comes to a domestic lounge. Your pictures showed two stains which to me doesn't seem like a huge deal. These lounges see a lot of use which I'd said leads to the expectation that they'll see that use some of the time.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:14 am

I've always found them to be pretty clean, and I've seen those pictures before. I'm not saying they're perfect 100% of the time, however I think they are better than the competition in the US for the most part.

Not to be rude, however I think you're expecting a little too much when it comes to a domestic lounge. Your pictures showed two stains which to me doesn't seem like a huge deal. These lounges see a lot of use which I'd said leads to the expectation that they'll see that use some of the time.
Not rude at all - just the equipment, furniture, carpeting, etc are starting to show its age. I don't remember the last time the ACs at DFW were remodeled. It's definitely a good thing they are doing this. Walk thru the A thru C terminals at DFW and you'll see the wear, tear and aging furniture there. I only took a few pics but there were many other seats and tables in similar conditions. The staff is great, yes, but it's good to see they are finally fixing this. Just because it's a domestic lounge doesn't mean one should expect lesser quality. The new Centurion and VIP lounges have had better amenities as of recent. This is a great step in the right direction.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Not rude at all - just the equipment, furniture, carpeting, etc are starting to show its age. I don't remember the last time the ACs at DFW were remodeled. It's definitely a good thing they are doing this. Walk thru the A thru C terminals at DFW and you'll see the wear, tear and aging furniture there. I only took a few pics but there were many other seats and tables in similar conditions. The staff is great, yes, but it's good to see they are finally fixing this. Just because it's a domestic lounge doesn't mean one should expect lesser quality. The new Centurion and VIP lounges have had better amenities as of recent. This is a great step in the right direction.
Of course, Clubs vary quite a bit. I'm not sure which Club your photos represent, but I do know which ones it doesn't, e.g SFO.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course, Clubs vary quite a bit. I'm not sure which Club your photos represent, but I do know which ones it doesn't, e.g SFO.
Sure reminds me of the PIT lounge... what a sorry excuse for an AC.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Sure reminds me of the PIT lounge... what a sorry excuse for an AC.
Uh, oh. According to the article, the PIT Club will be refurb'ed "in coming years."
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Uh, oh. According to the article, the PIT Club will be refurb'ed "in coming years."
Yes I imagine in the grand scheme of things, that the PIT AC ranks at the lowest rung for AA.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:37 am

Absolutely. The SAN one was just redone but it's technically an airspace lounge now. There are several clubs that are prestine - but several just need a face lift.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I'm not really a lounge lizard, but I do get day passes thanks to my Business Extra account. I am pretty much familiar with the LAX AC.

I have a friend leaving on a late flight from LAX on United. I posted this question in the United forum about the LAX United lounge.

I got a range of responses. Most referred to the lounge as being way too crowded. One linked a thread where a famous chef paid $50 for a day pass only to find no available seating. The famous chef ended up sitting on the floor, apparently, then tweeted about it. (I only scanned that thread, so am fuzzy on the details.)

In the handful of times I've visited ACs (LAX and a few others), I've always found ample seating.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Yes I imagine in the grand scheme of things, that the PIT AC ranks at the lowest rung for AA.
Not sure. BDL probably ranks pretty low. However, it did get a partial refresh over the past year: the bank of mobile phones (yes, mobile landline phones) at the bar was replaced with a bank of electric outlets. The deeply stained fabric chairs were replaced/ re-upholstered in pleather (but no change to the carpeting). And the Star Alliance posters were removed (but not the fake "Pissaro" painting by the restrooms).

I do love the BDL club, and it's the only game in town. But it amazes me that a club has survived for so many years in this tiny outstation.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver

Hope so!! Current PHX clubs are not too bad IMHO...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
CLT and PHL getting showers will be nice. MIA D15 the outside part of the lounge needs to be updated with power plugs at the seating (not on the side columns) and better access to the WiFi (of course what is really needed is another AC or a FL). Most of the ACs seem to be in good shape and some like BOS and LGA were renovated not too long ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.