Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Executive card [w/ Admirals Club membership] - any unique value left?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-

I've had the card for about 4 years now; originally got it for the 1 year grace period for spend to count toward MM status. Ended up keeping it to access the AC (as it once was the only card giving access).

Then, when the Citi Prestige came out, decided to keep the Exec card for the EQM awarded after spending a certain amount.

However, now that Barclaycard's US Airways Silver card will also give EQM for credit card spend, what's the value anymore in the Exec card? Am I missing something? Will Citi sweeten the benefits to prevent Barclaycard defections?

Thought I'd run it by folks here before I cancel the Exec, get the Prestige card, and wait until the Barclaycard Silver starts taking apps.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by AA_CPA
I've had the card for about 4 years now; originally got it for the 1 year grace period for spend to count toward MM status. Ended up keeping it to access the AC (as it once was the only card giving access).

Then, when the Citi Prestige came out, decided to keep the Exec card for the EQM awarded after spending a certain amount.

However, now that Barclaycard's US Airways Silver card will also give EQM for credit card spend, what's the value anymore in the Exec card? Am I missing something? Will Citi sweeten the benefits to prevent Barclaycard defections?

Thought I'd run it by folks here before I cancel the Exec, get the Prestige card, and wait until the Barclaycard Silver starts taking apps.
From what I've read no one else can sign up for the Barclaycard anymore...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Admirals Club access?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
The exec card comes with a true membership, so you may access the club even when not flying aa on the same day, which you must be to access using the prestige. (As I understand it)
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
The Silver Aviator allows you to earn 5,000 elite miles for each $20,000 spent on the card each year, up to twice per year. Even though this equates to the same as the Citi Exec in total, if you only spend $39,000 on the Silver Aviator, you at least get 5,000 elite miles. On Citi, $39,000 gets you nothing.

However, with the Silver Aviator, you don't get access to the club and you don't get first/business class check-in when traveling in economy - unless you have elite status.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:02 pm

I dumped the Exec as soon as I found out that the Prestige's AF can be as low as $100/yr when you sign up in a branch bank ($350 AF) and count the annual $250 airfare refund.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I called on Thursday and they gave me a $250 statement credit right off the bat. To me it's not worth the trouble of applying for the Prestige card and the need to carry it and present my BP when entering the lounge. Also, you don't get access when on OAL itineraries if they happen to be in the same concourse as AA/US if you have the Prestige.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Apart from Prestige's Admirals Club "access" when traveling on AA that day versus the Exec's full membership, as others have noted above, the Exec also gives you roughly half the benefits of Gold status -- e.g., the so-called "enhanced airport experience.

That's not relevant for me since I am, in fact, Gold. So I've gotten the Prestige and plan to kill the Exec.

And you made me look up what OAL meant. Incidentally, the BP pull at check-in is hit-or-miss according to Flyer Talk reports.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
yeah, i'm thinking about cancelling as well. it just doesn't make sense for me anymore. i qualify on points, not miles, so the 10,000 eqm is useless. i would never use the club when not traveling and 95% of my travel is on AA/US, so the only time it would come in handy would be when travelling on another airlines, with no club access available for that other airline, and where an AA club happens to be in the same terminal (not sure all three conditions have ever been met for me).
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
What was your spend? I just got hit with the fee for my second year. Probably spent about $50k
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I called on Thursday and they gave me a $250 statement credit right off the bat.
My fee is hitting soon, what was your spend, what did you say?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
My fee is hitting soon, what was your spend, what did you say?
I spent approximately $30k on the card in the past year. I explained that absent the 100k bonus miles and $200 statement credit last year I didn't see the value of keeping the card since many of the benefits the card provides (except AC access) are available to me for traveling extensively on AA. I also have my primary banking relationship with Citi that may have something to do with it.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I'm in the same boat at AAerSTL: I fly AA/US almost exclusively, my banking relationship is with Citi, and I'm already an AA elite; therefore, the Prestige makes sense. Last year, cancelling my long-time Admirals Club membership in favor of the Exec with its 100,000 miles and $200 rebate made the most sense.

The synergy of the 1.6x thing for AA ticket purchases, the 25% points bonus (for my banking) and the Admirals Club access is pretty good.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Keep in mind that at the moment Barclays doesn't upgrade Aviator Red card (the one you get if you had US Airways MasterCard) to Aviator Silver. Maybe in July. Maybe.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-elite-mc.html
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
If I have a Citi exec card and get the 10,000 EQMs for $40,000 spend, can I get another 10,000 EQMs from having the Barclay's AADvantage aviator card too for a further $40,000 spend?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.