Wiki Posts
Search

40k miles from Guam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

40k miles from Guam

Hello,

Please help. I have 40k AA miles based in Guam. How can I use them, trying to get two people off the island even if it means using United miles on the way back. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by pwknox
Hello,

Please help. I have 40k AA miles based in Guam. How can I use them, trying to get two people off the island even if it means using United miles on the way back. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You can use them for two one-way tickets to the Asia 1 (20K) or Asia 2 (15K) zones. For definition of the zones, see http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...iondefinitions
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
To follow on to that, the only airline serving GUM upon which you can redeem your AA miles is JAL, and that would be on their flights to NRT. So wherever you go, it would have to involve GUM-NRT on JAL. Unfortunately that means that, no matter what you end up doing, you can't do an Asia 2 to Asia 2 award from GUM for 15,000 miles, since the award routing rules don't make an exception for Asia 2 to Asia 2 via Asia 1. I hope this makes sense. Good luck!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Both Guam and Australia are in South Pacific in the AA award chart.

However, because JAL is the only airline that flies there, how does the pricing work?

South Pacific to Asia 1 is 40k (ironically, given the title of the thread) in J but travel would actually be SP-A1-SP. So, 80k one way? Surely not.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by danger
Both Guam and Australia are in South Pacific in the AA award chart.

However, because JAL is the only airline that flies there, how does the pricing work?

South Pacific to Asia 1 is 40k (ironically, given the title of the thread) in J but travel would actually be SP-A1-SP. So, 80k one way? Surely not.
Yep, it will be 80k one way from GUM-Australia, as a SP-SP award cannot connect in Asia 1.

Guam has always been tough to get to using AA miles, unless you're flying to Japan or Korea it always requires 2 awards.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:01 am

Maybe fly direct to Manila for $200 and use your miles from there? Return on the UA miles.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, it will be 80k one way from GUM-Australia, as a SP-SP award cannot connect in Asia 1.

Guam has always been tough to get to using AA miles, unless you're flying to Japan or Korea it always requires 2 awards.
Well that's a bugger.

Originally Posted by erik123
Maybe fly direct to Manila for $200 and use your miles from there? Return on the UA miles.
I guess that could be an option. Singapore would probably be easier for me to start from. Something to think about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.