Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA rebanked DFW and ORD today [29 Mar 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

American implemented its promised rebanking of flights at ORD and DFW today.

I'm really curious as to how well this will turn out, both operationally and also if it will have a positive impact on the bottom line. Of course, we may only find out the answer to the first question although, were a a reversal in policy to occur, it would give us an inkling there too.

Anyone fly thru either hub today and notice a difference?

American Airlines Implements Banked Flight Schedule in Chicago and Dallas
Change Shortens Layovers, Improves Connections
American Airlines passengers at Chicago O’Hare International and Dallas/Fort Worth International airports on Sunday may have thought that the airline was giving flights away given how much busier the two airports were at certain periods of time throughout the day.

On Sunday, American implemented a major change in how it schedules flights at the two airports, putting banks of flights into fairly narrow time windows.

Banking flights, as it is called, means that more flights arrive and depart in short period of time, offering tighter and presumably better connections for connecting passengers. The hope is that a shorter layover at either of these hubs will, which translates to an overall shorter travel time, will convince more travelers to fly American...

<SNIP>
Above was published in FBT (where I serve as ed.dir.)
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just tired of the constant adjustments to schedules on flights I already have booked.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I'm just tired of the constant adjustments to schedules on flights I already have booked.
I spent a good portion of the afternoon on the phone fixing reservations that were changed. At least the rep was friendly, but I'm sure it was frustrating to her too.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This sounds like it will result in overcrowding at the airport, delays, and it can't be good for safety either...
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other stories from Friday and Saturday:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...onnections.ece

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...e16591193.html

No financial interest in either newspaper.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
I spent a good portion of the afternoon on the phone fixing reservations that were changed. At least the rep was friendly, but I'm sure it was frustrating to her too.
Me too. The rep couldn't believe some of them, example:

I know it is a computer that does it, but shouldn't a computer be able to figure out that if I was leaving at 10:24 am I'd probably like to be moved to the new flight leaving at 10:20 am rather than 7:59 am?

I went through every reservation today, cancelled all the appointments I had on my calendar, sent the new calendar invites to myself, husband and daughter for all of our various reservations and called to make changes to the ones that were unacceptable.

Please, let's leave them alone for awhile now?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Good thing flights in and out of ORD are never delayed. This will be money for those waiting for the battlefield UPGs with all the missed connections.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More likely your checked bags not making it on your next flight, more crowded terminals, and more planes on the sky simultaneously risking close calls...
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by jspira
Anyone fly thru either hub today and notice a difference?
I flew through DFW. My inbound flight from TPA was 30 minutes early arriving. I had a 2 hr wait for my connection to AUS. There was an earlier connection from the neighboring gate but it was significantly more expensive to book so I was booked on the later one. I could have done the same day standby but would have lost my first class upgrade and ended up fairly near the back.

Also, I noticed a large pile of bags near the baggage office on arrival in AUS. The kind of size of pile you normally only see during IRROPS.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by nk15
More likely your checked bags not making it on your next flight, more crowded terminals, and more planes on the sky simultaneously risking close calls...
I would prefer a bit longer but reliable connection. Since I never know if departing SFO will be on time, I often look for one with a bit more time if I can afford it.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I am trying to keep up with a 4 family member trip to Barcelona in June 8 different PNRs

AA has a habit of booking the least amount of legal connecting time available. It would be great if they could book flights that are closer to the original scheduled times.
For example
Original
SNA-DFW 205PM-707PM
DFW-LHR 1005PM - 115PM

AA change
SNA-DFW 400PM - 857 PM
DFW-LHR 945PM - 115PM (AA added an extra 20 minutes to the block time)

I called AA and changed it to
SNA-DFW 222PM-725PM
DFW-LHR 945PM - 115PM

So, AA, instead of changing the 205PM to a 222PM flight, they changed it to a 400PM flight. The 945PM flight is the last flight to LHR that night. I wouldn't risk fate with a 48 minute connection time.
They are connecting to a BA flight to BCN. Unfortunately there was no other option for a Business Class Milesaver from SNA or LAX.
My daughters are flying LAX-MAD-BCN on Iberia. Special thanks to FT for the pointers on using the Qantas site to search for partner awards bookable on aa.com. And, thanks to AA for getting rid of the phone fee for booking AAdvantage awards on IB, since they cannot be booked online. These were booked right after the fee rule change, and I had to remind the agent of the exemption.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
PHX has been banked for years and except for the occasional delay in pulling into the gate, its worked just fine for all the years I traveled out of there or through there.

Also, now there are more earlier options out of DFW where there hadn't been before and thats just fine with me!!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, more stress (and subtle pressure) on everybody (pilots, mechanics, GAs, FAs) to have each flight arrive on time, which does not sound good for safety.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
DFW Terminal D main security (i.e. TSA Pre), completely packed.

No idea if this is a direct result but, D security is usually pretty clear at 6:30 am, even on a Monday.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I think most of us are, but at least we get 1 free change to move onto the flights we might wanted to book instead
So not all is lost

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
PHX has been banked for years and except for the occasional delay in pulling into the gate, its worked just fine for all the years I traveled out of there or through there.

Also, now there are more earlier options out of DFW where there hadn't been before and thats just fine with me!!
They might work for PHX when the weather is almost always perfect.
What else do you get in PHX, egg melting on the tarmac and some summer t-storms?

A better comparison would be PHL, and I sure don't want 5 hr delays like how PHL would have when they have irrop.

At least they are trying this in Spring for starters since can you imagine if you get a snow/ORD, ice/DFW and wind/NYC on the same day with this banking stuff.
Nobody is going anywhere...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.