Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Doug Parker: “We are not asking our customers to be happy with anything”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold

Well, he's more than made that evident recently. Of course, it's all open to interpretation, especially once the spin docs got into it.

Full article here
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:06 am
Suspended

Very obviously out of context and/or just a poor way of expressing the way a business is run. Can see why some folks will decide to be excited or enraged by this, but it's a big nothing.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zpaul
Well, he's more than made that evident recently. Of course, it's all open to interpretation, especially once the spin docs got into it.
Let me make an attempt at surprise for a moment...

Nope, not really working. Let me be the first to congratulate DDDP on his magnificent success then. As a customer, I'm not really happy with anything about AA...

On second thought, after reading this perhaps he was just still a bit tipsy and sleepy after presumably spending the night in the drunk tank yet again...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, he did say what the priorities are (and maybe by default what's not).

"He elaborated, though, saying that American is focusing on products, such as lie-flat seats, international Wi-Fi, updating airport lounges, and improving the airport check-in experience, that matter to customers."

In fairness to the context (reducing fares as the price of oil drops), which airline is doing that? Yeah, the new American isn't either.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
That's the "full article", huh? It repeats the one sentence quote, admits that it is out of context, and doesn't even include a link to his actual statement.

And by the way, if you google that quote, it comes up for exactly one website.

Terrible "journalism", and in the arena of travel blogs, which are mostly click-bait for credit cards, it takes a lot to be worse than the rest.

Originally Posted by zpaul

Full article here
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fitch7600
That's likely because it was a verbal quote never published anywhere.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fitch7600
That's the "full article", huh? It repeats the one sentence quote, admits that it is out of context, and doesn't even include a link to his actual statement.

Terrible "journalism", and in the arena of travel blogs, which are mostly click-bait for credit cards, it takes a lot to be worse than the rest.
Originally Posted by cmd320
That's likely because it was a verbal quote never published anywhere.
The quote was recorded on the quarterly conference call on Tuesday and is available in the published transcript of that call.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2855...all-transcript
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA,DL
If Doug Parker say it at least I will kept my expectation love. But that can make me happy.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:11 pm

A lot of other companies feel this way too. At least he was honest about it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Surely this was in the context of something else. I can't imagine a CEO, even one that doesn't give a rat's behind about customers (and yes there are some CEOs like that) that would be dumb enough to suggest on an earnings call that the Company cares little for customer opinions. And no I don't Doug Parker feels that way.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cost of fuel has almost nothing to do with fares. The airlines' costs simply give a lower bound on their prices. The cost of a ticket is set by supply and demand. If demand drops, or if supply increases, fares will drop. The price of fuel can do whatever it wants; it's irrelevant.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This just shows how unsophisticated DP is.....lots of CEOs (ahem, Richard at DL for example) are much better public personas and avoid getting arrested, constantly having to back track on their statements and more.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The cost of fuel has almost nothing to do with fares. The airlines' costs simply give a lower bound on their prices.
That's interesting considering for the past decade airlines having been citing rising oil prices as a reason for rising fares. Then of course there's the 'fuel' surcharges...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Exactly what part of this is a surprise?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
That's interesting considering for the past decade airlines having been citing rising oil prices as a reason for rising fares. Then of course there's the 'fuel' surcharges...
That is perfectly consistent with it being a lower bound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.