Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is Citi going to send IRS 1099 for points/miles earning for CC bonuses / spend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Citi going to send IRS 1099 for points/miles earning for CC bonuses / spend?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If Frequent Flyer schemes went back to their roots as schemes rewarding people for travel rather than frequent spending at supermarkets et al, I don't see that it would be bad for everybody
In the long term we are going to see more fare based earning. Its already moving in that direction obviously. As for 3rd party based earning its more complicated as airlines earn income from that. Some voices would say that restricting award inventory is the near to medium term solution to that particular problem. The near term profits from the collapse in fuel prices might provide cover for the change - or it could reduce the impetus for change.

As for the credit card tax issues I'll say that personally I hope it never happens and leave it at that.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:11 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by teddy25
The thank you points on deposit accounts are considered interest earned.

So far the credit bonuses are considered rebates.

If 1099 becomes norm, I don't think the mileage programs will last too long because there will be a reduction in demand of miles from banks, and less income generated from selling miles by the airlines.

Pretty much bad for everyone.
I can't see it ever going there. If an administration tried to change it via regulation, it would be politically toxic since rebate treatment has been in place for decades (recall many years ago when I believe the Clinton Treasury Department floated ruling that FF miles earned on business flights but used for personal purposes constituted compensation income - there was an uproar and it died on the spot). It would take a statutory change and I can't ever see that happening.

This goes way beyond cards giving miles for using the card. Take the Costco AMEX for instance. You earn cash back from Costco plus cash back from AMEX. None of this is taxable. It is nothing more than a rebate, same as the miles. And no different from the hundreds of cash back cards out there.

"Gifts" given to open or add to deposit accounts have always been treated as interest income. Nothing new about that at all.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wjj
I can't see it ever going there. If an administration tried to change it via regulation, it would be politically toxic since rebate treatment has been in place for decades (recall many years ago when I believe the Clinton Treasury Department floated ruling that FF miles earned on business flights but used for personal purposes constituted compensation income - there was an uproar and it died on the spot). It would take a statutory change and I can't ever see that happening.

This goes way beyond cards giving miles for using the card. Take the Costco AMEX for instance. You earn cash back from Costco plus cash back from AMEX. None of this is taxable. It is nothing more than a rebate, same as the miles. And no different from the hundreds of cash back cards out there.

"Gifts" given to open or add to deposit accounts have always been treated as interest income. Nothing new about that at all.
To take it one step further... if you dont have ownership of something, how could you be taxed on said item? AA makes it abundantly clear they own the miles, we own nothing.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
To take it one step further... if you dont have ownership of something, how could you be taxed on said item? AA makes it abundantly clear they own the miles, we own nothing.
I disagree, as that was not the basis for the regulatory grace shown taxpayers years ago when the IRS declined to tax miles awarded on tickets purchased by employers.

I can think of plenty of situations where taxpayers would have section 61 income by virtue of the use of something. Say your employer leased a house for $4,000/mo and let you and the family occupy it even though none of the tax-free exceptions apply. And the employer leased two luxury autos for you and the spouse for $1,000/mo each even though you have no employment-related need for a company-provided car. And your employment deal says the employer can take back the house and cars at their whim.

In that example, your W-2 would show $72,000 at the end of the year attributable to the house and the cars, without taxpayer ownership of any of it.

Miles won in contests are taxable, and if your argument was accepted, then nobody would have to pay tax on the million mile prizes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.