Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel fees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Starwood Platnium, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Award travel fees for EXP

I am looking at buying 2 business class tickets with miles for award travel and I was reading over the American policy on award ticket and fees for EXP.

The following is an excerpt from the AA EXP benefits guide.

"Pay no ticketing charges on award and revenue
tickets issued by American Airlines when you
are traveling. You will also benefit from waived
processing charges for AAdvantage awards
claimed within 21 days of departure and waived
reinstatement and ticket change charges related
to award tickets issued from your account."

Does that mean that if I cancel an award ticket flight I can reinstate it and use it toward a forward trip without a fee?

Last edited by Jeff Sloyer; Jan 19, 2015 at 6:03 pm Reason: quote looked weird.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Correct. You have to call AA to reinstate the miles; it doesn't happen automatically upon cancellation.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

So there is no repercussions for booking award travel and canceling for an Exp?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Correct again. On several occasions I've made speculative reservations (e.g. seats are available but there's only a 75% chance I'll actually be able to go) and, if necessary, cancelled them.

Just don't abuse it and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

The verbage is a little confusing, does it mean you have to cancel with 21 days notice or inside of the 21 days before departure?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff Sloyer
The verbage is a little confusing, does it mean you have to cancel with 21 days notice or inside of the 21 days before departure?
Processing charges are waived for bookings made within 21 days of departure. Pretty clear cut. No correlation with the cancellation policy.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:11 pm

Are award redeposit fees waived for all passengers if they were booked from a single EXP account or just the EXP passenger?

I read it is all PAX on the itin but want to be sure.

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sdix
Are award redeposit fees waived for all passengers if they were booked from a single EXP account or just the EXP passenger?

I read it is all PAX on the itin but want to be sure.

Thanks
As far as I know, any award booked with EXP miles can be cancelled and redeposited with no fees regardless if the EXP is on the reservation or not.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
As far as I know, any award booked with EXP miles can be cancelled and redeposited with no fees regardless if the EXP is on the reservation or not.
I had mixed experiences with that.

If I wasn't part of the traveling party, I usually was charged a low processing fee but when I called it was often refunded ... but not always. Agents then stated that the wording required the EXP 'travelling'.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by Focke
Processing charges are waived for bookings made within 21 days of departure. Pretty clear cut.
Actually not that clear. If you're EXP then the "21 days" does not apply, does not matter, and should not be quoted. It would be like saying, "...charges are waived for bookings beginning on ANY Tuesday."

They are attempting to differentiate between other levels, which they should make clear in that benefit statement. A cleaner statement might be, "All award processing charges are waived for EXP."
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
There are no award processing charges for plat either. As a plat, I wish reinstate fees were waived for plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.