Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

miles transferred (for a fee) - expiration date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

My girlfriend collected some AAdvantage miles along the way, but never earned enough to do anything with them. Now they're about to expire, and she wants to gift them to me.

'Gifting' costs $12.50/1000, which I suppose she'll expect me to pay, but my question is, supposing we go through with this, do the transferred miles still have her expiration date, or do they take on mine?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that this counts as activity in your account, so your expiration date gets moved up 18 months.

There may be better options available to you though. If they are more than a month away from expiration, signing up for an AA CC (with a waived first-year AF) will give her activity when the first statement posts, which will push her expiration date forward 18 months.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Ok, if there are not many miles at all, she can redeem for some magazines and that will extend the expiration clock another 18 months. If you can make use of the miles, go for it, however the cost is rather high, me personally I would not bother.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. Her signing up for another credit card is not in the 'cards' -- she hates the things. She lives in Switzerland, so credit cards are expensive.

The bit about the magazine subscriptions was really helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.