Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mvtm
It's not on purpose. We have so many government requirements and limitations when incurring in flights, along with a very restricted sales of tickets on all international airlines, that it's not easy.

Edit: Finally concluded i'm just going to MIA this time. Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, its tough. The second CCS-MIA-CCS, once you miss that CCS-MIA leg, it will cancel the MIA-CCS return that you do want to fly. So, doing that won't help you at all. MIA is likely best, it doesn't seem that what you wanted to do is going to work. You could do MIA-NRT with an award as well, but I know why you want to pay for it . Is including the NRT-MIA return too expensive to pay for it?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sound48
Anyway to find out how much out of pocket it would really be short of calling American and doing a dummy booking?
Yes. Use the ITA matrix software website. Do a Google search to find it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yeah, its tough. The second CCS-MIA-CCS, once you miss that CCS-MIA leg, it will cancel the MIA-CCS return that you do want to fly. So, doing that won't help you at all. MIA is likely best, it doesn't seem that what you wanted to do is going to work. You could do MIA-NRT with an award as well, but I know why you want to pay for it . Is including the NRT-MIA return too expensive to pay for it?
It is. The airfare jumps -four times- in price if i try to add Miami into the itinerary. My main concern is to spend my vacations in Miami with the family and then i wanted to see if i could spice it a bit. Saw a steal CCS-NRT-CCS AI RT for 19.000 BsF (Parallel rate: $240 US;Official:$1673) and wanted to add it to my itinerary.

I didn't find travel companions Too intimidated by going that far. If i've get more enthusiasm on my party, i would have tried to combine an Open Jaw- Multicity with an award, instead of going the "no show" route and possibly end up in Tokyo.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Anyway to find out how much out of pocket it would really be short of calling American and doing a dummy booking?
I'm aware of being able to find prices but I didn't know you could find taxes and carrier charges on award tickets on ITA as well. Can you go into a little more detail or provide a link? I've only ever known of being able to look up revenue ticket prices.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
I do not believe that that will work for AA awards on IB metal. Both AA and IB limit the surcharge for IB award flights to a figure that is considerably less than that assessed on IB cash tickets.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I do not believe that that will work for AA awards on IB metal. Both AA and IB limit the surcharge for IB award flights to a figure that is considerably less than that assessed on IB cash tickets.

Any idea how I could find the out of pocket costs of the AA award ticket then? Or just call American for a dummy booking? I've gotten different amounts when looking through Iberia, British Airways and Quantus, and I haven't been able to look it up on American's site.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Any idea how I could find the out of pocket costs of the AA award ticket then? Or just call American for a dummy booking? I've gotten different amounts when looking through Iberia, British Airways and Quantus, and I haven't been able to look it up on American's site.
As far as I know, you have to call AA to get an accurate figure. Any surcharge will also trigger certain U.S. taxes/fees that would not apply to a surcharge-free redemption.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:20 pm

As far as I know, you have to call AA to get an accurate figure. Any surcharge will also trigger certain U.S. taxes/fees that would not apply to a surcharge-free redemption.
Thanks for the response and info.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:35 pm
Suspended

I'm aware of being able to find prices but I didn't know you could find taxes and carrier charges on award tickets on ITA as well. Can you go into a little more detail or provide a link? I've only ever known of being able to look up revenue ticket prices.
The taxes and fees are the same with a few exceptions.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I am holding a ticketed MilesAAver reservation. I'd like to change one of the flights (US domestic) for a couple of days later. The later day is not showing availability. I've been monitoring for weeks - it may be released closer to the flight. To save myself some time. is there a way of waitlisting a request for the later flight for it to be processed should availability appear? Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:04 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
No waitlisting on AA. Best bet is to use Expertflyer and set up an alert. It's only about $10 per month / $100 a year. It will monitor the inventory for you, thus saving you a tremendous amount of time and effort.
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I am holding a ticketed MilesAAver reservation. I'd like to change one of the flights (US domestic) for a couple of days later. The later day is not showing availability. I've been monitoring for weeks - it may be released closer to the flight. To save myself some time. is there a way of waitlisting a request for the later flight for it to be processed should availability appear? Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:55 pm

Business Saver to LHR

This has probably been covered before, but I cannoth find anything using the search function...I apologize in advance...

I am trying to get to London from LAX in Business Saver (50K one way) on AA metal. There is not a single seat available for the next 331 days. Is this possible? Is AA not releasing any seats any longer and forcing everyone to go on BA?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by arrosen
I am trying to get to London from LAX in Business Saver (50K one way) on AA metal. There is not a single seat available for the next 331 days. Is this possible? Is AA not releasing any seats any longer and forcing everyone to go on BA?
This type of query would be covered in the extant thread discussing MileSAAver availability, to which your thread has been merged. Furthermore, as AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by arrosen
This has probably been covered before, but I cannoth find anything using the search function...I apologize in advance...

Thanks
Sounds right.

I have an AwardNexus alert set up for 1 J SAAver JFK-LHR rt on 2 certain days in August, since I would prefer to switch from my booked BA tickets. Occasionally BA flights appear, last a few days, then disappear. Have not seen a single AA seat on either day since September.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:05 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
I am trying to find seats on LHR-LAX on BA F(or AA F on the new 777 if possible)but it seems like the seats have drastically changed in the past week. I plan to travel the week of Aug 15.

There used to be plenty of availability on the LHR-SFO-LAX routing(and the LHR-PHX-LAX) but now I see only LHR-JFK-LAX routing. I'd prefer a longer time in the BA F flight, that's why I'd prefer the west coast routing.

Is this usual for MilesAAver availability? Should I expect these routings to come back? I have set up an EF alert already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.