Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I actually don't have an issue with AA wines...I appreciate that they offer two whites and one of them is usually a sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. I really dislike chardonnay and don't like warm drinks like red wine and that is all DL seems to serve in Delta One these days
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I actually don't have an issue with AA wines...I appreciate that they offer two whites and one of them is usually a sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. I really dislike chardonnay and don't like warm drinks like red wine and that is all DL seems to serve in Delta One these days
Agree with you on the options other than Chardonnay. I've never understood why people like to constantly pour Chardonnay and Merlot which are IMO two of the most disgusting varieties of wine out there.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agree with you on the options other than Chardonnay. I've never understood why people like to constantly pour Chardonnay and Merlot which are IMO two of the most disgusting varieties of wine out there.
Agree whole heartedly (although there are the rare steel barrel chardonnays which can be tolerable). ^
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Agree whole heartedly (although there are the rare steel barrel chardonnays which can be tolerable). ^
Perhaps you all need to try a good Chardonnay, one not served on any US airline.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
PHX-PDX Flight 604

I was in F on flight 604 from PHX to PDX which left PHX at 2:05 and we got a full lunch and it was the exact same meal I got from PDX to ORD several days earlier. I'm not sure if this flight was a mistake since it was a 2 PM flight outside of the normal meal window.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by portland67
I was in F on flight 604 from PHX to PDX which left PHX at 2:05 and we got a full lunch and it was the exact same meal I got from PDX to ORD several days earlier. I'm not sure if this flight was a mistake since it was a 2 PM flight outside of the normal meal window.
No, this isn't a mistake. This flight is over 1000mi and will receive a full meal service regardless of time of day up until 8pm when it reverts to the vaunted "refreshments" service.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
No, this isn't a mistake. This flight is over 1000mi and will receive a full meal service regardless of time of day up until 8pm when it reverts to the vaunted "refreshments" service.
That's good to know, I thought based off the wiki that the 1:30 to 4 PM would get the refreshment service.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former Hilton Diamond and Marriott Plat
Later this week, I'm on 2495 DFW - LAX 8:25PM. Anyone have any idea of this qualifies for the "westbound post-8pm exception?" I'm hoping so, since my MCO-DFW upgrade probably isn't going to clear, and having fast food in DFW during a layover is not really how I want to start a vacation.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyPok1
Later this week, I'm on 2495 DFW - LAX 8:25PM. Anyone have any idea of this qualifies for the "westbound post-8pm exception?" I'm hoping so, since my MCO-DFW upgrade probably isn't going to clear, and having fast food in DFW during a layover is not really how I want to start a vacation.
Unfortunately I can say definitely not on this. That flight will get only warm mixed nuts and a cookie. Please self-cater or eat in the terminal if you have time.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Unfortunately I can say definitely not on this. That flight will get only warm mixed nuts and a cookie. Please self-cater or eat in the terminal if you have time.
Tons of great options at DFW... just please do NOT being a Pappasitos Burrito on the plane like my last seat mate did. That thing was stinky going in and stinky going out.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:22 am
wpd

Programs: AAdvantage
9/23/15
US0540: PHL-LAX: 9:10
Dinner
A321
First

Choice of PDB was a nice way to start, but once we were in the air the FA disappeared for about 40 minutes. Once she returned we got a choice of shrimp and grits or pasta with red sauce. Having had the pasta before I chose the shrimp and grits. She returned with a hot towel, our drinks and warm nuts.

Entree was served with a romaine and kale salad with goat cheese and an indistinguishable grilled veggie situation, also with some goat cheese.

The grits were congealed and the shrimp was rubbery, but the dish was actually fairly flavorful. (Sorry for the blurry photo)

After dinner, no desert and no offer of another beverage. I fell asleep and woke up not feeling great — not sure if it was the meal or just a weird dream. I had to press the call button twice to get the FA's attention to get some water (was on the window and the guy next to me was sleeping, so I didn't want to wake him).
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
Tons of great options at DFW... just please do NOT being a Pappasitos Burrito on the plane like my last seat mate did. That thing was stinky going in and stinky going out.
That paints quite a picture. :-:
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
(Originally posted in the wrong thread)
AA 2380 PHX-ORD 9/23
Don't remember if we had PDBs-that flight was just too ***** early.
Entree choice of cheese blintz or egg strata.
TABLE LINENS-first I've seen them since their alleged return how many months ago??? Smaller & thinner than their predecessors that's for sure.
Mints before landing & personal thanks to each pax from the FA.

US 463(?) CLT-PHX (my first LUS flight up front that had a full meal service scheduled, btw)

Scheduled departure 7:59 pm-made the dinner window by 1 minute. Actual departure about 15 mins later due to more than a dozen late connecting pax.

No PDB
No hot towels
No tray linens
Room temperature nuts w/open bar after almost an hour in flight-no idea what the FA was doing all that time; we certainly didn't see him.
Entrée choice was green tamale or chicken picatta. Chose the chicken which was fine, but not 'picatta'.
Bread was cold & FA's choice. I warmed my pretzel bun up by splitting it in half & then leaning it against the entree dish which had a temperature registering somewhere on the nuclear scale.
Appetizer was hummus. Side 'salad' was romaine lettuce & a single cherry tomato split in half. Interesting that we get the exact same size salad dressing for these 'salads' as we do for the entrée salads served at lunch.
Dessert was pre-made strawberry ice cream w/white chocolate & dark chocolate shavings served by the same FA who was clearly perturbed about something by then.
Mints before landing.

Last edited by txrus; Sep 25, 2015 at 8:58 am Reason: Added the 2380 info
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by txrus
US 463(?) CLT-PHX (my first LUS flight up front that had a full meal service scheduled, btw)

Scheduled departure 7:59 pm-made the dinner window by 1 minute. Actual departure about 15 mins later due to more than a dozen late connecting pax.

No PDB
No hot towels
No tray linens
Room temperature nuts w/open bar after almost an hour in flight-no idea what the FA was doing all that time; we certainly didn't see him.
Entrée choice was green tamale or chicken picatta. Chose the chicken which was fine, but not 'picatta'.
Bread was cold & FA's choice. I warmed my pretzel bun up by splitting it in half & then leaning it against the entree dish which had a temperature registering somewhere on the nuclear scale.
Appetizer was hummus. Side 'salad' was romaine lettuce & a single cherry tomato split in half. Interesting that we get the exact same size salad dressing for these 'salads' as we do for the entrée salads served at lunch.
Dessert was pre-made strawberry ice cream w/white chocolate & dark chocolate shavings served by the same FA who was clearly perturbed about something by then.
Mints before landing.
Out of curiosity, was the chicken picatta different than the dish that was served before the recent meal improvements?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
Out of curiosity, was the chicken picatta different than the dish that was served before the recent meal improvements?
If it's the same one I had a few weeks ago, not really, other than flavor wise as best I can recall. The rice that came w/it, which I think is supposed to be a mushroom risotto, was better. I actually cut up the chicken, mixed it in w/the rice, added a pat of butter & some salt & ate the whole thing that way.

Also, I'm only going off what my very disinterested FA said it was-even though I had been booked on this flight, in F, for several weeks, I could never find the pre-order option to order or see what was listed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.