Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change from SWU waitlist to 500 mile / sticker upgrade request? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:06 pm

I do have a connecting flight, does that help?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:18 pm

Anyway, this is my trip so I can earn my segments for EXP.

I just changed my come back segment to be LAS-LAX-DFW-MSY-MIA-MCO. All these segments for $233 dollars

My one way there is MCO-MIA-LAX-LAS for $234. This will make me hit EXP
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by fedaputz
I do have a connecting flight, does that help?
It doesn't help w/the SWU v. "sticker" upgrade issue; it does help w/your place on the waitlist for 'sticker' upgrades as through passengers have priority over those who are just starting their trips.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
They will only get upgrades to F if they use eVIPs themselves. The free upgrades do not apply domestically on 3-cabin service from J to F. They only ever apply from Y to the next cabin up..
Thanks for the reminder ... I keep forgetting about this.

I guess it would still work on a single eVIP from the international connection though.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by bdemaria
It doesn't help w/the SWU v. "sticker" upgrade issue; it does help w/your place on the waitlist for 'sticker' upgrades as through passengers have priority over those who are just starting their trips.
Even then, it only helps if:
1) You are connecting from another flight (it has no value if this is the first segment), and,
2) You are on the airport upgrade list. The through status has no meaning for automatically cleared upgrades.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Not a good chance. If you upgrade and then want to downgrade, the flight will have to have the same coach inventory available. I believe there may also be change fees applicable.

For only 4 J seats I think you are playing with fire thinking of doing an EXP upgrade. I'd use the eVIP as on that flight, depending on when you bought your ticket the chance of being in the "top 4" is probably petty slim. YMMV
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Just curious on the logic behind this. Do you know why on stickers thru passengers have priority?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by fedaputz
Just curious on the logic behind this. Do you know why on stickers thru passengers have priority?
It's been discussed to death in the past, and the general opinion is that it is simply a side effect of the fact that connecting standby passengers are given priority.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:20 am

Domestic SWU

I'm an Exec Plat booked in coach on LAX-MIA Flight 124 on 12/24 which is a 777. I booked back in August, immediately requested a SWU and have been routinely checking Expert Flyer looking for C inventory to no avail surely because of the route/Holiday. Other family members are already booked in J and my point for sacrificing a SWU is to sit with them. As the departure date approaches and the seats around my family fill up, I am wondering if at some point I should take myself off the SWU list and go for a complimentary domestic upgrade. Why waste a SWU if I end up within the 100-hour window? Does anybody have a good strategy for domestic SWU's that haven't cleared as departure date nears and are there any ramifications I should note (i.e. UG time stamp becomes December)?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing LAX on 12/24/14 for MIA
Flying AA flight 124 in Business

A   B       D   E   G       H   J   
8                                   X   X       
9   W   -   +       +   +   +       +   +   W   
10  W   -   -       +   +   +       -   -   W   
11  W   -   -       +   +   +       -   +   W   
12  W   -   -       +   +   +       +   +   W   
13  W   +   +       +   +   +       +   +   W   
        A   B       D   E   G       H   J   

Seats
Premium Only             P                        
Available                +                        
Handicap-Accessible      H                        
Paid & Premium           #                        
Occupied                 -                        
Blocked                  X                        
Lavatory                 L                        
Paid                     $                        

Wing                     W                        
Upper Deck               U
Cabin looks pretty empty and it's J7, D7, I7... I'd still use the SWU unless the upgrade doesn't clear five days before departure.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by scottymagouf
I'm an Exec Plat booked in coach on LAX-MIA Flight 124 on 12/24 which is a 777. I booked back in August, immediately requested a SWU and have been routinely checking Expert Flyer looking for C inventory to no avail surely because of the route/Holiday. Other family members are already booked in J and my point for sacrificing a SWU is to sit with them. As the departure date approaches and the seats around my family fill up, I am wondering if at some point I should take myself off the SWU list and go for a complimentary domestic upgrade. Why waste a SWU if I end up within the 100-hour window? Does anybody have a good strategy for domestic SWU's that haven't cleared as departure date nears and are there any ramifications I should note (i.e. UG time stamp becomes December)?
Fair question, I'll merge it into the extant thread on this topic.

~Moderator
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:34 pm

Thank you. What is your logic with 5 days to departure?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:20 pm

Thank you. What is your logic with 5 days to departure?
I'd rather not burn a SWU when I can just get a comp. upgrade.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:08 pm

Agreed! Hence my original question. But why 5 days and not 7 or 3?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:20 pm

Agreed! Hence my original question. But why 5 days and not 7 or 3?
EXP upgrade window is 100 hrs (4 days, 4 hrs) before the flight, so I'd pull the SWU request the day before.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
You timestamp is the date you asked to apply the SWU.

To 'convert' to a free upgrade you MAY get the timestamp reset

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Dec 4, 2014 at 12:31 am Reason: Totally misread the post...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.