Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking JAL Int'l Biz Class with AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, United Gold

Hey There,

I have a crap ton of US Airways miles. I have been using them exclusively to book business class flights from the Northeastern US to Tokyo on ANA. Because of the merger, I will soon be using AA miles on JAL.

Can anyone give me any info on award regularity (or irregularity ) using American Airlines miles to book JAL business class from the US to Tokyo? I have done some research and been using the British Airways site to check this out, but any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Diotallevi
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The appropriate forum for inquiring about using an airline's miles is the forum of the sponsoring airline, so we'll move this to the current American Airlines | AAdvantage (pre-merger) forum for better assistance.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Diotallevi
Can anyone give me any info on award regularity (or irregularity ) using American Airlines miles to book JAL business class from the US to Tokyo? I have done some research and been using the British Airways site to check this out, but any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks!
In my experience there is usually a lot of biz space going out of BOS on the 787. This is the old angled lie-flat seat; they have announced plans to roll out the Sky Suite 787 product but I don't know of a timetable to add it to that route. But, if you want to get from the northeast to NRT directly and on points, this has in seemed like a pretty reliable way to do it.

Out of JFK there is also often some biz availability on...surprise surprise...the early flight on the 787. On the 777 flight I honestly don't recall ever seeing business space; I think that they actually manage to (gasp) sell most of it. There is also often F space released way out (at the opening of the window), usually 2 seats. If you in fact do have a "crap ton" of US/AA miles then I would suggest spending the extra 12,500 on margin and going for F.

Space out of ORD is often easier to find than JFK, but you specifically mentioned the northeast. Either way, it can all be seen on BA.com so just check whatever gateways you are interested in and call AA to book when you have a routing planned out.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by arlflyer
If you in fact do have a "crap ton" of US/AA miles then I would suggest spending the extra 12,500 on margin and going for F.
I completely second this. JAL J "Seasons" is ok, but there's nothing excellent about it and if you get the old angled beds, it won't even be that comfortable.

JAL F, however, is quite good, though still nothing like CX F for instance.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Also consider AA as they roll out the new seats on the 777-2. JAL is nothing special in J typically and AA has quite a few flights over the various hubs to NRT.

Last edited by grahampros; Nov 3, 2014 at 1:09 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Does JL usually release seats earlier on as schedules are loaded or closer to flight date?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
JAL probably has what is, in my opinion, the world's best J product - both the seat and the soft product.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
JAL F, however, is quite good, though still nothing like CX F for instance.
Though I have completely resigned myself to the understanding that I am in the extreme minority here, I actually prefer both the hard and soft in-air products of JL F to those of CX F. I find the seat to be a more efficient use of space and I enjoyed the F&B more. I have another JL long-haul F leg coming up in a couple months; we'll see if my opinion holds.

Originally Posted by grahampros
Also consider AA as they roll out the new seats on the 777-2. JAL is nothing special in J typically and AA has quite a few flights over the various hubs to NRT.
I have a feeling that you're probably talking about the old JL J product. The new one is very nice.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Though I have completely resigned myself to the understanding that I am in the extreme minority here, I actually prefer both the hard and soft in-air products of JL F to those of CX F. I find the seat to be a more efficient use of space and I enjoyed the F&B more. I have another JL long-haul F leg coming up in a couple months; we'll see if my opinion holds.
I feel this way too. I don't quite understand it.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:08 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
JL award space is generally not too hard to locate, especially from BOS. I live in LAX and even we get decent availability. Their new business class (operating from LAX) is out of this world and, as others have noted, probably the best in the skies. Service and food on JL are top notch.

I don't quite get the love affair with CX, personally I have had mixed experience with the carrier. JL is consistent and good.

One thing to note, and you might already be used to this if you flew with NH, Japanese carriers (Korean too) like to keep their cabins really warm. Like, REALLY warm. It may bother you. I've had to ask them to tone down the temp a bit in the past and after requesting it a couple of times they'll usually relent and take down a few degrees.

Other than that, I really like JL a lot. Definitely my favorite Oneworld carrier to Asia. If you have trouble finding award space from JFK or BOS also consider SAN and SFO, both of which have good availability (usually).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
There is a ton of space on the JFK - NRT on the 787 which starting 1/2015 will have the new SS8 which should be in line with the SS7 but in a 2-2-2 configuration instead of the 773s 2-3-2.

FWIW, BA shows between 2-4 seats open for many days on that flight and I had no problem booking 2 seats in March a couple weeks back.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:38 pm

I agree about JL F vs. Cs. I flew both last year and have a trip on each this January. I think Jl has really picked up their game on F&B and quite frankly I think CX has slipped a bit. YMMV.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
JL F on the 777 is incredible. I haven't had the pleasure of trying their new J Sky Suite. The current 787 J is angled J and pathetic. Always lots of space on the 787 JFK-NRT. I'd really try and score the 777 until the 787s get the new Sky Suite.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by MAH4546
JAL probably has what is, in my opinion, the world's best J product - both the seat and the soft product.
One of the few who would say that. It's ok but few consider it the world's best. I find it to Japanese centric ( including the hot cabin temp). I prefer CX, SQ etc.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:33 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
What would be the correct fare bucket to setup alerts (ExpertFlyer) for JL Business Class award space using AA miles?
[specifically, one-way BKK-NRT-BOS]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.