Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I had the Red since Feb, and spent over $44K. However, I got rejected every time I called for an upgrade to silver. Any advices on what else I can possibly do?

Shall I apply for a Aviator Business Red?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by epicurus
I had the Red since Feb, and spent over $44K. However, I got rejected every time I called for an upgrade to silver. Any advices on what else I can possibly do?

Shall I apply for a Aviator Business Red?
From my experience, I've had the Red since January, put through similar spend as you and every time I've called/secure messaged they always tell me I needed to wait until I've had the card a year. Probably has to do with the CARD Act and/or people who upgraded earlier to the Silver in 90 days without the change in annual fee, reaping the benefits for free for 9 months, then immediately downgrading when the annual fee came around again.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I've earned the Companion Pass and $100 flight credit on the Aviator Red card. I haven't received either yet because my account needs to be active for 45 days past my anniversary date (September) in order to receive them. If I upgrade to the Silver before my Red anniversary date, will I lose the Companion Pass and the $100 flight credit? Does upgrading to Silver effectively close your Aviator Red account?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
10k posted in august
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pbd456
10k posted in august
Nevermind ...saw the answer above
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:01 pm

My red card has a ridiculously high number of fraudulent charge issues. I don't know if this is a Barclays thing or what. 2nd one in 6 months just recently
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
My red card has a ridiculously high number of fraudulent charge issues. I don't know if this is a Barclays thing or what. 2nd one in 6 months just recently
It’s just a thing... Mrs and I both had Red cards and now I have business (dropped my Red), over 10 years, no issues. On my Citicard accts, (7 cards, including employees cards), about ever 6 months a card is getting compromised. And Citi seems to be overwhelmed. Three months after a fraudulent charge on a Citi Card was disputed, city fraud called me to ask why I thought it was fraud or how I first came to identify the charge, because we are not sure it is fraud. My answer:: your fraud department called me and pointed it out. “Oh”.

Its just rampant.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
I haven't had issues with Barclays in particular. It's just so widespread I don't worry about it too much, though you might take a few steps like not allowing online retailers to save your cards.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Only one fraud charge on a Silver Aviator card in the past 7 years. However, on my Barclay Arrival Plus card I had six fraudulent charges in the third month of use.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I had the Red card (or its antecedent) since shortly before the merger, and upgraded to the Silver about 19 months ago. No fraudulent charges on either.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I just hit the $50,000 spend on the Silver Aviator after getting $3,000 EQD on the Business Aviator. Hopefully within a month I'll know if they follow through as promised with $3,000 EQD on the Silver.
Got the 3,000 EQDs after a bit of a fight on the Silver with AA and Barclays. 🙂
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota

Got the 3,000 EQDs after a bit of a fight on the Silver with AA and Barclays. 🙂
fight? Did you ask them to post EQDs immediately and they refused or ?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Maybe resistance is a better term. My account posted 0 EQDs upon meeting the $50,000 spend in July. Both hedged on posting the EQDs and opened investigations. I just saw the 3,000 EQDs post to my account last night.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This has happened to me periodically since I've had the Barclays card (I had the Juniper Bank card that merged into Barclays back in 2006 I think, so a long time). At one point I was doing a mileage run and just could not use the card at all (thankfully I have other cards).

I was able to call and talk to someone in the fraud department and found out that my account was under extra scrutiny; they were able to scale that back a bit and I haven't really had any issues since (I did get a fraud alert after going to a gas station in AZ in April). I don't always remember to note my travel on the website, and I'm not certain that it really does much.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by aztimm
...I don't always remember to note my travel on the website, and I'm not certain that it really does much.
My wife and I have a running debate about travel notifications. I never give travel the and rarely have an issue. My wife always registers travel notifications and almost always has an issue. Hard to say.

I will say that I had an issue w a citi mc in Acapulco and that froze my chase mc. Used Visa, and called banks later. I always carry 2 mc, 1 visa and amex

in 7 years, and +600k in random intl travel, no holds on the barclay card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.