Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Annual fee on my silver aviator card was coming up at the end of the month. Called today to ask about retention offers and they had none. Since I'm not spending as much on the card as I thought I would, I canceled.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by nall
Trend continues. My EQM from middle of last month finally posted today (9/10/18).
Thanks for the great detail on this. It's great that they're posting these so quickly.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by nall
Trend continues. My EQM from middle of last month finally posted today (9/10/18).

Same here. My EQM from last month posted 10/10/18.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by MorganB
Same here. My EQM from last month posted 10/10/18.
Mine too.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:08 pm

Does defaulting on CC loan result in loss of AA miles? This is in regards to Barclaycardus card powered by Barclays bank in partnership with AA AAdvantage (Aviator) Mastercard.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by The.walker
Does defaulting on CC loan result in loss of AA miles? This is in regards to Barclaycardus card powered by Barclays bank in partnership with AA AAdvantage (Aviator) Mastercard.
Clawback can happen if you’ve received miles and returned merchandise, but as most miles aren’t awarded until you’ve made payments I’m unsure what might happen in a loan default. I assume miles you’ve earned remain in your account, but you’ll not earn further on a default, of course.

Please be aware cross-posting is not allowed on FlyerTalk, and can result in summary deletion of posts. Please refrain from cross-posting henceforth.

Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Clawback can happen if you’ve received miles and returned merchandise, but as most miles aren’t awarded until you’ve made payments I’m unsure what might happen in a loan default. I assume miles you’ve earned remain in your account, but you’ll not earn further on a default, of course.

Please be aware cross-posting is not allowed on FlyerTalk, and can result in summary deletion of posts. Please refrain from cross-posting henceforth.

Thanks for the heads up. I just wasn't sure about where/who to ask.

I've got two AA cards (AA Citi world and Barclays AA Aviator). They're somehow connected and I've earned the miles for a while. I'm not talking about "pending"/potentially returnable merchandise. I'm currently facing extreme economic hardship and whilst I've got 150k miles sitting on my AA program, I'm confused if AA could take away all my miles that I'd earned through legit purchases and sign up bonuses (several months and over 2 years ago - on each card).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:22 pm

Hey guys.
I read thru, but dont see a definitive DP.
Both wife and I got 60k... just enough to finish booking some tickets. This left my wife with only 3k miles (i still have 100k). Annual fees posted 29 days ago. She just called to cancel her card, and get a refund of the 95. No mention of bonus clawback.
I am hesitant to do the same, being that i still have plenty of miles in my account.

Does anyone know, if i can cancel, get back my 95, and my 60k miles will be safe as they are posted? Or is the bonus subject to any type of clawback restriction that I can not find. Thanks for you time!!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by j2grady
Hey guys.
Both wife and I got 60k... just enough to finish booking some tickets. This left my wife with only 3k miles (i still have 100k). Annual fees posted 29 days ago. She just called to cancel her card, and get a refund of the 95. No mention of bonus clawback.
I am hesitant to do the same, being that i still have plenty of miles in my account.

Does anyone know, if i can cancel, get back my 95, and my 60k miles will be safe as they are posted? Or is the bonus subject to any type of clawback restriction that I can not find. Thanks for you time!!
IN the past some people have done this and lost the 60K and some didn't. this is a YMMV
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by j2grady
Hey guys.

Do you have access to the terms and conditions for the card and bonus miles, either from the Barclaycard site or that you downloaded? For example, there’s this:

In the event of any abusive, gaming or fraudulent activity related to the Account, as determined by us in our sole discretion, we reserve the right to make corresponding AAdvantage® miles adjustments to the miles accrued in the Program through use of the Account and/or to cancel your Account at any time.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 31, 2018 at 8:13 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:44 pm

No more EQD's earned on the Red card, effective January 1st, 2019.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by hitherandyon
still showing earn 3000 EQDs on the current Red card application. https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...te-mastercard/
I'd be PO'd if i signed up in Nov or Dec 2018 only to have this feature/benefit/reward go away Jan 1

My renewal letter came recently saying watch for your annual fee, and here are the benefits, and the 3000 EQDs was not listed.
Just out of curiosity, I looked in my file for past annual fee notices, and it's never listed the 3000 EQDs as a benefit, nor does it list my 10000 RDMs that I get every year... Yet I get both in the past.
So who knows what will happen. This is a strange bank issuer.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:56 pm

thanks for the response!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by hitherandyon
I do have the internet... I was looking more for a few DPs.

Thanks for the reply though...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
still showing earn 3000 EQDs on the current Red card application. https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...te-mastercard/
I'd be PO'd if i signed up in Nov or Dec 2018 only to have this feature/benefit/reward go away Jan 1

My renewal letter came recently saying watch for your annual fee, and here are the benefits, and the 3000 EQDs was not listed.
Just out of curiosity, I looked in my file for past annual fee notices, and it's never listed the 3000 EQDs as a benefit, nor does it list my 10000 RDMs that I get every year... Yet I get both in the past.
So who knows what will happen. This is a strange bank issuer.
On my letter it was addressed in the first paragraph. If you don't believe me, just Google it. But here is just one of many responses:
Well, American has just announced that they’re devaluing the ability to earn EQDs through credit card spend as of 2019. Starting in 2019:
  • You’ll no longer be able to earn any EQDs for spend on the Aviator Red or Aviator Blue Cards
  • AAdvantage Aviator Silver Cardmembers will be eligible to earn only a total of 3,000 EQDs after spending $50,000 on purchases per calendar year — they’re basically doubling the spend requirement to earn 3,000 EQDs, and they’re also halving the number of EQDs you can earn through credit card spend. These changes are effective January 1, 2019, for Blue, Red, and Silver cardmembers who opened their accounts prior to January 1, 2018. Meanwhile they’re effective January 1, 2020, for cardmembers who opened their accounts between January 1, 2018 and October 31, 2018.

American also says that further new benefits will be announced for the cards in 2019, though they don’t yet have the details of what those benefits will be. I’m not putting much weight on that, though it sure is disappointing that they’re announcing this change without any sort of a silver lining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.