Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by mxracer95

I can't say if turning off my ad blocker helped or if I just hadn't noticed the Upgrade your Experience hiding there on the side before. But maybe this will help others know where to look and how to find it if it's available to them.
Yes, it was the adblocker. Same thing for me when I turned it off in February this year...upgrade appeared.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
1) Are EQD's based on calendar year or statements? If my statement date is the 6th of the month, will spend between December 7 and December 31, 2018, be credited to 2018?
2) Are they posted based on the statement - I assume so - so if I go over $50K (I've already hit $25K) on the 8th of the month, the clock starts the 6th of the following month?
3) The Barclay's site says EQD's are posted 6-8 weeks after I hit the requirement. Say I have 200K EQM's and $8,999 EQD's as of October 4, and I hit my spend requirement on my October 6 statement, but don't fly anymore. Will I get promoted to PlatPro "6-8" weeks after October 6?
4) For purposes of rolling 12 month EQD, will that also start on the posting date?

I expect to hit 75K EQM's in December, and by then to be between $6 and $9 EQD. I can go over the $50K spend whenever I want. I'd like to go over $50K as late in the year as I can (to keep the rolling EQD for next year) and not "waste" EQD's for a time period when I'm not PlatPro so EQD's don't matter for upgrade priority.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
1) Are EQD's based on calendar year or statements? If my statement date is the 6th of the month, will spend between December 7 and December 31, 2018, be credited to 2018?
2) Are they posted based on the statement - I assume so - so if I go over $50K (I've already hit $25K) on the 8th of the month, the clock starts the 6th of the following month?
3) The Barclay's site says EQD's are posted 6-8 weeks after I hit the requirement. Say I have 200K EQM's and $8,999 EQD's as of October 4, and I hit my spend requirement on my October 6 statement, but don't fly anymore. Will I get promoted to PlatPro "6-8" weeks after October 6?
4) For purposes of rolling 12 month EQD, will that also start on the posting date?

I expect to hit 75K EQM's in December, and by then to be between $6 and $9 EQD. I can go over the $50K spend whenever I want. I'd like to go over $50K as late in the year as I can (to keep the rolling EQD for next year) and not "waste" EQD's for a time period when I'm not PlatPro so EQD's don't matter for upgrade priority.
1) it's posted on the tracking part of the website. It's pretty self-explanatory

2,3) nothing becomes concert until AFTER the close of your statement, not too sure why anyone would think different. Are there are other CC that posts bonus before the statement closes?
4) Yes.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have a friend who has a grandfathered "blue" Aviator card open for several years.

Anyone seen any data points of upgrading from blue directly to silver?

If that's not possible, suggestions on best practices for getting there ASAP? He flies enough AA to justify it. TIA.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DaveH
I have a friend who has a grandfathered "blue" Aviator card open for several years.

Anyone seen any data points of upgrading from blue directly to silver?

If that's not possible, suggestions on best practices for getting there ASAP? He flies enough AA to justify it. TIA.
Calling Barclays would be the best way to find out.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
This is a first...Barclays would not waive the $89 AF on Aviator Red. This, of course, after being told it would be no problem and waiting 20 minutes on hold so I could be transferred to someone who could..wait for it...waive the fee for me. Maybe the first person wasn't empowered to say no? Anyway, was so mad at the lack of customer service that I canceled the card. Barclays obviously didn't care. I had that card forever. Maybe spent only $4,000 on it this year though (Bank of America Travel Rewards card a much better deal if you have enough $ with Bank of America--2.65% earn rate)--maybe that's not enough for Barclays to waive the fee.

I can get the Citi Exec card in December with the sign up bonus (canceled it 2 years ago November)...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Anyone get any good retention offers for the Silver card lately?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:33 am

Seeking Phone number for Barclay Retention department

My annual fee on Red Aviator posted. I don't use the card that much, but am a very heavy user of a different Barclay card. I called the number on the back of the card and the agent said no retention offers. Asked for supervisor who said the same. I then requested to speak to retention department or cancellation department and was told they could not transfer me or give me a phone number. So I would greatly appreciate if anyone has a telephone number for either Retention or Cancellation departments so I can try again. Thank you very much.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
My annual fee on Red Aviator posted. I don't use the card that much, but am a very heavy user of a different Barclay card. I called the number on the back of the card and the agent said no retention offers. Asked for supervisor who said the same. I then requested to speak to retention department or cancellation department and was told they could not transfer me or give me a phone number. So I would greatly appreciate if anyone has a telephone number for either Retention or Cancellation departments so I can try again. Thank you very much.
If you're not using your Red card enough to get the EQM bonus, you could ask Barclays to move the credit limit to you other card and close this one.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by jeffeverde
If you're not using your Red card enough to get the EQM bonus, you could ask Barclays to move the credit limit to you other card and close this one.
Isn't the silver card the only one that gets the EQM bonus? If you aren't using the card that much and don't need the free bag / boarding benefit then there is no reason to keep it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
Isn't the silver card the only one that gets the EQM bonus?
Correct. Red and Silver both earn EQD... but only Silver earns EQM, too.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
Correct. Red and Silver both earn EQD... but only Silver earns EQM, too.
but EQD is what moves you up the upgrade list
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Yep. And EQM moves you up the Elite chart.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Red aviator cardholder here. I got the silver invite via the upgrade button on the website right after my 3rd statement cut. Went through the upgrade process online. Was quick and easy.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
True, however, EQM helps to get a higher elite level, remember a low EQD PP trumps a high EQD PLT. This is why most people get the Silver Card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.