Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Maintaining status after moving from hub [wrt new merged AA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: free agent

Earlier this year, I moved from PHL to PDX. The last 5 years out of PHL, I've made CP as it made sense to consolidate flying on US (and usually was the only non-stop game in town). Only once did I do a MR to keep it.

This year, just through routing and necessity, I've flown a lot more on DL/AS and already made gold there.

So, now it's almost November, I've requalified for PP on US and have a couple more trips to book - what's everyone's thoughts on what I should do? I'm particularly interested in thoughts from those who have moved away from a hub to more of an outpost. To cross over a little into speculation - we really don't know what next year will look like, even if it will be worth being CP/EXP and I'd hate to waste a bunch of weekends to do the missing 10K+ miles I'd probably need.

Being "out of the game" definitely sounds appealing - it's nowhere near as much fun as it used to be - but I'd sure miss CP.

I guess I'm looking for an agony aunt/uncle.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You must be aware of the split up of AS and DL as DL makes a push to develop a mini-hub at SEA. This means whatever benefits you've have flying joint routings are likely to disappear soon. In turn, this has strengthened the AA alliance with AS to the point that, with the exception of upgrades, AA elites get treated much like AS's own elites. That would suggest that with your US status, and the likelihood that integration of FF programs will take place this March, you'd be better off hanging in with the US/AA combo rather than go for status with DL.

I've always found it is better to the away from a hub as your base because you have less competition for upgrading with a segment coming into the hub for your onward flight(s). However, in your case, PDX is not well served by AA/US at the moment, and does rely on the AS relationship. Still, I think you should go for Chairman/ExecPlat. Surely in the next two months you can find a reasonably priced MR on AA or US for those extra EQMs.

(While you referenced making Gold, not clear if that was with AS or DL.)
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've retitled this thread to specifically apply to the new, emerging AAdvantage FFP (presumably to be announced soon) as the OP seems to have that perspective and it was posted in the Consolidated forum.

/Moderator
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One possible benefit might be lower pricing when one is not originating at a hub or fortress hub. The other will come if / as USdbaAA maintains the excellent relationship AApreM has currently with AS.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Shareholder

(While you referenced making Gold, not clear if that was with AS or DL.)
Sorry - the gold is with DL, crediting quite a few AS flights to them. Must say, I *really* like AS as an airline though. Excellent service, complimentary Pac NW microbrews/wines in Y and the a la carte service are really nice touches.

Originally Posted by JDiver
One possible benefit might be lower pricing when one is not originating at a hub or fortress hub. The other will come if / as USdbaAA maintains the excellent relationship AApreM has currently with AS.
Yes, I've noticed this - especially (of course) if I'm willing to fly thru PHX to get to somewhere served directly by another airline (MSP, YYC, ORD, LAX come to mind).

As Shareholder mentioned too, upgrades out of an US outpost like PDX are great - there's practically no elite competition here at all. Quite often flights go out with open F seats.

As you correctly determined, JDiver, this was more a question of "is it worth me going for it in a non-hub location" wrt what may happen next year. Looks like a few more BIS miles then ...

Last edited by AlphaTango; Oct 25, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.