Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade for an international segment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Starwood Platnium, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Upgrade for an international segment

I am a Platnium member and I have a flight booked under code n and one of the segments is an international segment on the 777er and I called aa to do an upgrade for that one segment and they said there wasn't any seats available. However, I checked aa.com and expert flyer and both said lots of business class seats are available. What gives or should I call back and talk to another agent?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:35 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
There might be no seats available for an upgrade at this point. What route are you looking at? Are you doing a miles+copay upgrade? They should be able to wait list you if there are no seats at this time.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

From jfk to lhr. She did mention a wait list....
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:39 am
JTK

I am on a wait list from JFK to LHR, flt 104 leaving 10/25. I don't expect to clear that flight until the day before or the day of the flight. AA has been holding back upgrades to those flights until the last minute. Call back and ask to be wait listed for the upgrade.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Ah ok makes sense. I am on the same flight aa 104 on the 27th... Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Jeff Sloyer
Ah ok makes sense. I am on the same flight aa 104 on the 27th... Thanks for the info!
Jeff,
Another tip for future upgrades ... be sure to call ASAP after ticketing to request the upgrade, as priority is determined within status levels by the date/time of original request.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Jeff Sloyer
There are several threads about upgrades, waitlists and odds of clearing.

I am an Exex Plat/CK and will clear DFW or LAX to lhr at day of departure if I request 3-4 weeks out.

JFK-LHR is less desirable, so you may have a chance. But 7 days out and platinum you will be behind every EXP and behind all platimuins except those asking after you....

GL
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
That flight has 34 unassigned seats in C and only 17 occupied in MCE and the I bucket is at 7 (the maximum) - so I would say your chances are very good, but it won't clear until 48 hours before (or thereabouts).

Good luck - let us know what happens
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 am
JTK

Here is a data point for you, I am on Flt 104 for 10/25. Seat map was way open (I know) for J and MCE was about half full. I ticketed the flight on Sept 9 and requested an upgrade via a SWU. It cleared this morning and still shows C3 availability. So you have a chance. BTW, if it clears and you are connecting, call and ask for the rest of your segments for the day to be upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.