Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: All NRT-HND or v.v. connection issues and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ALL NRT / Tokyo Narita & HND / Tokyo Haneda Connection Issues

Tokyo Narita is actually nearer to Chiba City in Chiba Prefecture. Haneda is Tokyo's older (more recently restricted to domestic) airport, recently expanded and once again international airport, south of Tokyo at the bay.

MCT should be planned at no less than 4:00. Passengers must recover their checked baggage at the arriving airport and check it in at the departure airport.

Transport includes private cars (¥19,000 and up) or taxis (¥23,500 daytime, ¥29,300 night), Limousine Bus (much more reasonable, direct, about 1:30) or train (1:45).

The Airport Limousine Bus is one (my preferred) option:.

By Limousine Bus bus: Direct, 90 minutes, 2-4 connections per hour
Limousine buses between Haneda Airport and Narita Airport operate every 15 to 30 minutes. The one way journey takes about 60-90 minutes and costs ¥3,100 yen (but traffic could result in a 2:00 ride).
The other (see here on Japan Guide) is

By direct Keisei/Keikyu train: Direct, 105 minutes, ¥1,800 yen, 1-2 connections per hour
Direct limited express trains connect Tokyo's two airports approximately every 40 minutes except in the late afternoons and evenings. The one way journey takes around 105 minutes and costs 1800 yen. The direct trains are known as "Access Express" or "Airport Kaitoku".
AA awards and paid tickets allow up to 23:59 for international connections such as this, so it is a viable option. Awards can be single awards if Japan is allowed as a connection point and the most significant carrier sells an on instructed ticket for the prospective award. See AA oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Award information, rules (2015 on) for more information.

Separate tickets on separate airlines, particularly if out of alliance, may be cancelled if flights are missed; give yourself plenty of time.

If overnighting, NRT has an abundance of hotels that offer competitive prices and airport (and Narita-Shi / town) shuttle busses. HND has few hotels, including one within the domestic terminal, at generally higher prices.
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: All NRT-HND or v.v. connection issues and questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by eethan
No bags to check.

Flying JAL since they're the only OW airline flying from NE China.

There's availability on the day earlier DLC-NRT flight. Only problem is that AA forbids >24 hour stopovers. Even if I successfully reticket, I'm afraid the system will flag my trip.

1. Anyone with similar experiences can chime in?

2. I'm willing to switch both F seats to JAL's NRT-LAX flight, but award space is 0. Has anyone successfully gotten JAL to open up?
AA will allow longer connections on itineraries where you can't physically get from A to B without a +24 hr connection. It's usually in cases like this where both flights are 1x daily.

I've had 2 awards over the years with +24 hr connections in similar cases.

It can sometimes take a good AAgent (HUACA if necessary), but if taking the previous day's DLC-NRT flight works for you, then call AA and ask for that. Be sure to mention that JL's schedule change now puts you under the MCT for NRT-HND, which is illegal.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: JL/Emerald, NH*G, DL/ElitePlus, HHonors G
Originally Posted by Ceasy
I think that is going to be an impossible connection, but others on this board can confirm/opine. Will you have checked baggage? If so, not sure how you make it. If not, perhaps a prayer.
Best sure option is to hire a cab. It is 75km away so the journey should be under 1h. THe cost is around USD200
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA will allow longer connections on itineraries where you can't physically get from A to B without a +24 hr connection. It's usually in cases like this where both flights are 1x daily.

It can sometimes take a good AAgent (HUACA if necessary), but if taking the previous day's DLC-NRT flight works for you, then call AA and ask for that. Be sure to mention that JL's schedule change now puts you under the MCT for NRT-HND, which is illegal.
This is good advice-- you can't intentionally book a >24 hr connection if there's a shorter connection that works, but you most certainly can do so if it's the only way to make the connection.

Moreover, since the problem is due to a schedule change putting you under the MCT (I didn't check this myself but another poster stated it is below MCT), AA has an obligation to accommodate you on a valid connection.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by reimondo
Best sure option is to hire a cab. It is 75km away so the journey should be under 1h. THe cost is around USD200
But still: Calculate 30 - 45 min (longer with luggage) until you are thru immigration and in the cab. Then 1 hr with no traffic and likely significantly more more in afternoon rush hour (not even talking about the cost). Then consider how long before the flight you need to be at the check in at HND (if you have luggage) and go thru immigration and security. 2:50 total is awfully short for all of this.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
AAgent switched me to the day earlier dlc-nrt flight, forcing a 26 hour connection. She assured me the system wouldn't flag this.

Would be interesting to spend an evening in Tokyo. I had originally planned to tour the historic Russian and Japanese military bases in dlc, including an infamous wartime atrocity prison. Ironic
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA , 3MM, CK, Marriott Titanim
what time and what day do you arrive?

I am in Tokyo 5 plus times a year and when you get into Narita and the traffic to Haneda are the key issues... Sunday you would make it... Monday afternoon forget it...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
The problem is that jal won't take responsibility if I miss my connection.

AAgent couldn't find the MCT , but I'm pretty sure 2,50 isn't enough.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eethan
The problem is that jal won't take responsibility if I miss my connection.

AAgent couldn't find the MCT , but I'm pretty sure 2,50 isn't enough.
It's 3h30m per ExpertFlyer.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Having done the transfer, it won't be enough time. You'd still have to get processed through HND formalities then make your way down to the transit bus area and it's quite unlikely the schedule will get you on a bus immediately, so count on at least a half hour to hour before you're actually on the road from when your flight is scheduled to arrive. Then there's 1-1/2 to 2 hours on the road to NRT and doing the circle of terminals...add on check-in, security and getting to the gate. So most certainly not 2h50m hours and even 3h30m is cutting it tight unless you're willing to take a private car/cab.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
^ This is absolutely the right advise for OP's situation. We often assume that the 24H connection limit is set in stone--for all IATA airlines. It isn't. We just don't encounter it as much as we used to.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:11 am
Suspended

Question

Just to make sure we're all clear; you mean they will allow such an over-24-hour-connection on a single award upon initial issuance/finding right agent?

Or do you mean specifically in the case of a schedule change on an existing award (which -did- have a, per-rules, less-than-24-hour connection but now no longer has a legal connection thus necessitating this over-24-hour connection exception)?

Talking AAdv award tickets only here, of course.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
2 hr 50 min connection time? No way. That's extremely tight on a light traffic day without having to do customs. And like others have said, it's unlikely you'll get a bus right away without at least some sort of wait.

My transitions between NRT and HND usually involved an overnight. That makes it much more manageable.

I'd call AA and tell them to figure it out.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Just to make sure we're all clear; you mean they will allow such an over-24-hour-connection on a single award upon initial issuance/finding right agent?

Or do you mean specifically in the case of a schedule change on an existing award (which -did- have a, per-rules, less-than-24-hour connection but now no longer has a legal connection thus necessitating this over-24-hour connection exception)?

Talking AAdv award tickets only here, of course.
Yup, they will allow a +24 hr. connection on the initial booking if there's no physical way to build a connection without it, due to flight schedules and/or MCT.

It was actually an EXP AAgent who told me about this while I was trying to build an award from MEL-CMB 3 yrs. ago. I was able to do MEL-SIN-CMB with a 27 hr. connection at SIN, due to the fact that CX's SIN-CMB service was only around 4x weekly.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Yup, they will allow a +24 hr. connection on the initial booking if there's no physical way to build a connection without it, due to flight schedules and/or MCT.

It was actually an EXP AAgent who told me about this while I was trying to build an award from MEL-CMB 3 yrs. ago. I was able to do MEL-SIN-CMB with a 27 hr. connection at SIN, due to the fact that CX's SIN-CMB service was only around 4x weekly.
I certainly believe ya-- 100%, but, be aware that the rules specifically don't allow that:
Attached Images  

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 14, 2016 at 1:48 pm
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by jpripcord
I'm actually flying home to New York from Vietnam through Tokyo. I arrive at HND on flight JAL 70 (Vietnam Air codeshare) at 6:55 AM.

At that point, I've gotta clear customs, pick up my checked bag, get on the bus from HND>NRT, and arrive on time to recheck my bags in NRT before 9:50 AM in order to make my 10:55 AM flight home (JL 6).

Sounds like I have to be on the transfer bus by 8:10 the latest to make it in time, which just seems like a tight timeline, no?
For what it's worth, I was able to make it through customs relatively easily in HND. I made the 7:40 bus from HND > NRT and had plenty of time to check into my flight.

While it was a bit stressful to know that any delay in the process (flight delays, lines at customs, etc.) would cause me to miss my connection, it all worked out in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.