Wiki Posts
Search

How far in advance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

How far in advance

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize for posting something that probably has been posted already. Love everything about this website though! I'm trying to book an awards saver for 3 people coming from LAX or San Diego over to Maui, Hawaii. Looks like I had something a few weeks back when they released inventory but stupid me didn't jump on it. This is for the 4th of July week, 2015. Would prefer to go Jun 30 or Jul 1 which is a Tues/Wed. Looks like my only option is to go down to San Diego and catch a late fly into Maui on Alaska Air.

My question is since it is so far in advance should I literally be looking for a certain timeframe on when stuff might pop back up? 6 months or 9 months? Usually I do it the other way around booking the flight first and then hotel but I already have my hotel plans set being that it is a 4th of July week.

Much appreciated
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Broncobenji07
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize for posting something that probably has been posted already. Love everything about this website though! I'm trying to book an awards saver for 3 people coming from LAX or San Diego over to Maui, Hawaii. Looks like I had something a few weeks back when they released inventory but stupid me didn't jump on it. This is for the 4th of July week, 2015. Would prefer to go Jun 30 or Jul 1 which is a Tues/Wed. Looks like my only option is to go down to San Diego and catch a late fly into Maui on Alaska Air.

My question is since it is so far in advance should I literally be looking for a certain timeframe on when stuff might pop back up? 6 months or 9 months? Usually I do it the other way around booking the flight first and then hotel but I already have my hotel plans set being that it is a 4th of July week.

Much appreciated
You book when you get it. 3 saver awards during a holiday weekend are not easy. Can you split it? 2 via LAX 1 via SAN or something along those lines.
Good luck
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Set expertFlyer alerts for both AA and Alaska saver award inventory.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Broncobenji07
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You've probably learned your lesson: If you see award availability that meets your needs, then BOOK IT RIGHT THEN AND THERE.

Procrastination is rarely a good thing when booking award seats. There are tens of millions of people collecting AAdvantage miles and it's no secret that Maui is a popular destination. When you think of just how few seats AA flies to Hawai'i every day, you can imagine how those tens of millions of people manage to soak up the available award seats. Alaska is ok - so if you find availability on AS for dates that work for you, then follow the advice above.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice!

What about the rule of thumb on a non-holiday weekend? Do they eventually pop back up say in 6 or 9 month segments. Or is it just random where sometimes it will come and sometimes it won't?

Must appreciated!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One doesn't know if/when award availability will be added - hence my recommendation for the paid subscription to ExpertFlyer and use of its automated alert service for this journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.