Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SJC-LAX Route - Would like your experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.

I'm currently flying SJC-LAX on WN but am looking to switch to a carrier with better product and international award availability. I'll be flying this route every week until late 2015.

My only two options are Delta and AA and would like to get some input from my fellow FTers who fly AA before I make this jump. I know Delta has a great product and I'm sure I can get upgraded to First class once I complete the Platinum medallion challenge... but I've heard their award availability is crap.

Alaska Airlines is out for me so the only two options I have are AA and DL. I could fly out of SFO too but I'd like my sleep too much

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:54 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
On an hour long flight, I doubt you'll see much difference in the product between the three. If I were in your shoes I'd do some dummy bookings of awards on international routes you're interested in and see how that shakes out. I don't think DL's partners charge a YQ like BA/IB do, so that will probably work in DL's favor.

I'm so glad we got AA's "premium" partner awards and their YQ.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
On an hour long flight, I doubt you'll see much difference in the product between the three. If I were in your shoes I'd do some dummy bookings of awards on international routes you're interested in and see how that shakes out. I don't think DL's partners charge a YQ like BA/IB do, so that will probably work in DL's favor.

I'm so glad we got AA's "premium" partner awards and their YQ.
I'm still a AA newbie but what do you mean by premium partner awards and YO?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canon5dfan
I'm still a AA newbie but what do you mean by premium partner awards and YO?
YQ, not YO. Award tickets from frequent flyer mile redemptions on BA metal (airplanes operated by BA) carry huge surcharges (formerly called "fuel surcharges").

On premium cabin flights, the surcharge on the "free" frequent flyer tickets can run about $1,000 round trip. And lately, most first and business class award tickets available with AAdvantage miles appear to be on BA metal and not AA metal. Thus, most premium cabin award tickets carry these huge surcharges.

Awards on AA metal don't currently feature any such huge fees, although US Airways charges everyone who redeems miles for an award a fee of something like $40 and most expect that fee to climb. "Free" frequent flyer miles tickets aren't free in any sense of the word.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Isn't this route now flown by USX? If so, it'll be a CR9 with 9F and from what I have read they are the dumpier versions of this plane (not the newer ones US has been receiving).

UPGs for AA elites will only happen 24 hours prior to departure too.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
YQ, not YO. Award tickets from frequent flyer mile redemptions on BA metal (airplanes operated by BA) carry huge surcharges (formerly called "fuel surcharges").

On premium cabin flights, the surcharge on the "free" frequent flyer tickets can run about $1,000 round trip. And lately, most first and business class award tickets available with AAdvantage miles appear to be on BA metal and not AA metal. Thus, most premium cabin award tickets carry these huge surcharges.

Awards on AA metal don't currently feature any such huge fees, although US Airways charges everyone who redeems miles for an award a fee of something like $40 and most expect that fee to climb. "Free" frequent flyer miles tickets aren't free in any sense of the word.
Oh that's an unexpected surprise, I've only redeemed international travel via United guy and they never really charged these huge surcharges for UA/partner flights.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Isn't this route now flown by USX? If so, it'll be a CR9 with 9F and from what I have read they are the dumpier versions of this plane (not the newer ones US has been receiving).

UPGs for AA elites will only happen 24 hours prior to departure too.

Yes this route is now flown by USX. I think DL also uses the CR9s.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:01 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FWAAA
...although US Airways charges everyone who redeems miles for an award a fee of something like $40 and most expect that fee to climb. "Free" frequent flyer miles tickets aren't free in any sense of the word.
US waives those fees for the 50k tier and higher.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by canon5dfan
Yes this route is now flown by USX. I think DL also uses the CR9s.
The DL schedule today shows CR7s and CR9s. These have F cabins, wifi, and an Economy Comfort section in coach. It's a short flight but it should be civilized.

Nobody knows what award availability is going to look like on DL's 5-price award calendar come 1/1/15.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Haven't flown SJC-LAX, but if SFO is an option the DL product is probably the nicest on this route- nice snacks and the E175 is a decently spacious plane. Plus hourly service is hard to beat.

I currently fly AA on the route and your flight options are a bit more limited, although I notoriously leverage same day flight standby change option as AA Gold. Other than that, I find it too short of a flight to worry about other features.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malexander131
Haven't flown SJC-LAX, but if SFO is an option the DL product is probably the nicest on this route- nice snacks and the E175 is a decently spacious plane. Plus hourly service is hard to beat.

I currently fly AA on the route and your flight options are a bit more limited, although I notoriously leverage same day flight standby change option as AA Gold. Other than that, I find it too short of a flight to worry about other features.
Thanks for all the feedback, I think i'll attempt the AA challenge in 2015 for Gold. How likely are you able to make your flight using the standby change option as AA gold?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by malexander131

SFO-LAX flights are prone to terrible delays b/c of the SFO weather, so given a choice, I'd fly out of SJC before SFO.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For such a short flight, I'd look at both lounge options and airlines.

If you go with Delta and American Express Platinum, you can have a relatively easy upgrade, access to the DL SC or via Priority Pass the AS BR in LAX and the Club at SJC.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, HG Gold
One other factor might be the "Eagles Nest", All AA flights SJC -> LAX arrive at the AE remote terminal which then requires a bus ride to the main terminal. The Admirals Club in the remote terminal just opened which should be a big improvement when departing LAX on AE but the line for the bus can occasionally be a problem.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA G
If you're commuting on this route, Southwest's frequencies are unbeatable. When I was doing the SJC-BUR commute, missing a flight was never a big deal. Even if I couldn't get on one of the 7 or 8 daily BUR flights, there were 10+ daily non-stops into LAX that I could fallback on.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petewinca
One other factor might be the "Eagles Nest", All AA flights SJC -> LAX arrive at the AE remote terminal which then requires a bus ride to the main terminal. The Admirals Club in the remote terminal just opened which should be a big improvement when departing LAX on AE but the line for the bus can occasionally be a problem.
AE remote terminal? What?

I did not know AA flights from SJC arrived at a remote terminal. How long are the bus rides from the main terminal to this one?

I agree that SW's frequencies are unbeatable but I do like the convenience of booking awards for international travel (outside of Mexico and Carribeans)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.