Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Hawaii Service
Changes since merger and going forward
AA operates Hawai'i service with

West Coast - Airbus A321H ETOPS (similar to A321S, may be weight restricted)

PHX: LUS ex-“East” Boeing 757-200* (new​​​​​​​ 75H) with 12 F recliner seats and 176 Y including MCE (ten of these will be used going forward). Seasonal flights with the Airbus A330-300.

DFW , seasonal ORD Hawaii Flights are operated with lie flat Business seat, Boeing 767-323ER; 777-200ER / 772 seasonal variations may occur.

*The LUS B75H "West" models) have been returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mybagfits
Figured I'd check back in on this thread to see if there was any chance American will use a better (other than old 757) on its Phoenix to Hawaii routes sometime this year?
They have been running an A333 since December to HNL. The red eye home in J was a significant improvement with lie flat seats. I looked and it hasn't been loaded for next winter yet so who knows if they'll do it again next year. I'm not sure if it has been a success (from AA's perspective) but it was worth it to me even though we had to connect in HNL to another island.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mybagfits
Figured I'd check back in on this thread to see if there was any chance American will use a better (other than old 757) on its Phoenix to Hawaii routes sometime this year?
Well, they are currently flying an A333 on that route with 28 Lie-flat Business Class seats. It's a very nice right going and returning.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Was looking at options and saw the a330 was still showing up for Jan 19. In a month or so looking to book Feb 19. If I do so and they do an equipment change do I have the option of switching out to a Dallas departure? Anyone have insight if the plane is sticking around or if they're going to eliminate it? And what would they replace it with?

Originally Posted by davidsc111
They have been running an A333 since December to HNL. The red eye home in J was a significant improvement with lie flat seats. I looked and it hasn't been loaded for next winter yet so who knows if they'll do it again next year. I'm not sure if it has been a success (from AA's perspective) but it was worth it to me even though we had to connect in HNL to another island.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Was looking at options and saw the a330 was still showing up for Jan 19. In a month or so looking to book Feb 19. If I do so and they do an equipment change do I have the option of switching out to a Dallas departure? Anyone have insight if the plane is sticking around or if they're going to eliminate it? And what would they replace it with?

If they made a change I'm almost sure it would be back to the 757-200 (which is what they fly to all of the islands most of the year) I've done the flight on the 752 in F & Y and either way it is no bueno (although F is of course better). In regards to what you might be able to change to...I'm not sure AA looks at PHX to HNL on a A333 the same way it looks at LAX - LHR on a 77W. It isn't an enhanced service or anything so it may be you are out of luck. However, if they did go to a 752 they would likely need to add a second flight so the times might change enough for you to push your way onto the flights out of DFW. But who knows...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Originally Posted by davidsc111
If they made a change I'm almost sure it would be back to the 757-200 (which is what they fly to all of the islands most of the year) I've done the flight on the 752 in F & Y and either way it is no bueno (although F is of course better). In regards to what you might be able to change to...I'm not sure AA looks at PHX to HNL on a A333 the same way it looks at LAX - LHR on a 77W. It isn't an enhanced service or anything so it may be you are out of luck. However, if they did go to a 752 they would likely need to add a second flight so the times might change enough for you to push your way onto the flights out of DFW. But who knows...
The A333 been flying this route for roughly 6 months, it was only on certain days now it's daily, the OP is asking about the future and there is no way to answer if the A333 will be on that route in a years times.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I flew PHX-HNL in first on an A333 back in January and loved it. The Envoy suite is not the newest but it was very spacious and comfortable for a daytime flight. IFE was nice with some live channels- CNN, CNBC and BBC World. After a few days on Oahu, island hopped to the Big Island on a very cramped Hawaiian 717. Flew home a week later on a redeye from Kona to Phoenix on the famed B752. First class seats were decent if sitting upright but the "recline" was pretty bad I thought. I simply could not get comfortable enough to sleep. Your mileage may vary of course as I saw numerous people sleeping. They played a movie I'd never heard of on the cabin monitors since no in seat video. Bring your own tablets to watch! Flight itself was mostly smooth and service was good. I fretted over this flight and went as far to try to reschedule via HNL to get on the A333 flight. American wanted an arm and a leg to codeshare the KOA-HNL flight on Hawaiian so ended up not. It wasn't terrible in the end but definitely could be improved as to comfort.

Kona fun... walking out to board on the ground!
patmcpsu likes this.

Last edited by Hippster; Feb 26, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:02 am

777 dfw/hnl Hawaii Perks (to merge)

Last summer AA had a advertisement on their site introducing the 777 to Hnl. It mentioned you received pj slippers etc. I did a search but can’t locate the list of amenities. We just completed that flight this morning and only received on same pillow and blanket in J. I asked the FA where the new perks were. She never heard of them. Does anyone have that info???
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
AA offers the international business bedding on these longer Hawaii flights but never has offered PJs that I know of - these are only offered in Business to Hong Kong, Sydney, or seasonally Auckland. Don't recall that advert
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No pajamas or slippers in Business other than HKG and SYD flights, possibly a couple of other long hauls - definitely not Hawaii.

We will merge this thread soon. /Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Just came back from First Class both roundtrip BOS - DFW to OGG. Great flight and food. Will post trip report shortly. Preparing for next February to return. Curious, has anyone ever been able to redeem 40K for elusive business saver award or should I just come to grips of dishing out 67.5 or 90K for standard anytime award. Trying to get my miles in alignment to get ready for redemption next month when flights released. I will get expert flyer for award notifications but didn't know if I should hold any hope for 40K saver award or is just a myth that they actually exist!. I have been looking at January 2019 calendar for last few days and all I see is triple stop on Alaska, no 777 lie flat first class seats on AA Metal. Will also consider other options of flying to HNL instead of OGG and do interisland to get saver award if needed.

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
And just looked up a random day next January and it's showing 690 and 692 are both operated by 757. So I guess in last night's update this route got downgraded?

Checked expert flyer and it's still showing up as the wide body with the seat map and schedule. So who knows.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The A333 been flying this route for roughly 6 months, it was only on certain days now it's daily, the OP is asking about the future and there is no way to answer if the A333 will be on that route in a years times.

Last edited by AUSINSIGHT; Mar 4, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: HA KE OZ UA AA DL
What Seat Config Hawaii 772 to HNL-DFW / on to PHL in 757 (AA2624)

I am considering burning some remaining AA miles for up front flight HNL-DFW-PHL - haven't stepped on AA metal for years mainly due to the unreliability, bad food changes, and the unknown aircraft swaps that were occurring with the HNL-DFW 762 CIP program.

Now, the HNL-DFW is scheduled on a 772, and I'm wondering after looking at the wiki on 772 seats is the same thing happening where you won't know until day of flight which configuration you will actually get?
I usually look at Seatguru, but it seems they can't figure out AA either as if put in the flight and date, they don't pull up same seat config as AA shows. Seatguru is showing me the foward/rear facing (Zodiac) seats. AA seatmap shows 10 rows on 1-2-1 without identifying whether it's all forward facing or not. So, what is likely to fly on (April 2018) HNL-DFW flights as far as seats?

Then, when I look at connecting flight DFW-PHL, on the early HNL departure, they are showing A320, but for the 8pm HNL flight, connecting to AA2624, it's a 757. Is this another one where you won't know what you get until you get on? Seatguru is showing it would be the "domestic MCE" with 6 rows of First 2x2, but the AA seatmap matches seatguru's "752 International" with 4 rows of 2x2 flatbeds at least based upon the economy seats available where it starts at row 9, versus the V3 757 which isn't lie flat and economy starts at row 5. Seems suspicious though as the AA seatmap has X's on row 1 D&F and no other seats taken....

(If Delta hadn't messed with their service and pricing, I probably wouldn't even think about flying AA - but since they've jacked up the price and are calling HNL-ATL/MSP 'Delta One' while down-grading the plane from A330 to 767 with cramped footwell, they are not going to get my $$$$. Then again, if I am playing roulette with AA seat /config swaps, maybe I should just stay home....)
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kimChee
I am considering burning some remaining AA miles for up front flight HNL-DFW-PHL - haven't stepped on AA metal for years mainly due to the unreliability, bad food changes, and the unknown aircraft swaps that were occurring with the HNL-DFW 762 CIP program.

Now, the HNL-DFW is scheduled on a 772, and I'm wondering after looking at the wiki on 772 seats is the same thing happening where you won't know until day of flight which configuration you will actually get?
I usually look at Seatguru, but it seems they can't figure out AA either as if put in the flight and date, they don't pull up same seat config as AA shows. Seatguru is showing me the foward/rear facing (Zodiac) seats. AA seatmap shows 10 rows on 1-2-1 without identifying whether it's all forward facing or not. So, what is likely to fly on (April 2018) HNL-DFW flights as far as seats?

Then, when I look at connecting flight DFW-PHL, on the early HNL departure, they are showing A320, but for the 8pm HNL flight, connecting to AA2624, it's a 757. Is this another one where you won't know what you get until you get on? Seatguru is showing it would be the "domestic MCE" with 6 rows of First 2x2, but the AA seatmap matches seatguru's "752 International" with 4 rows of 2x2 flatbeds at least based upon the economy seats available where it starts at row 9, versus the V3 757 which isn't lie flat and economy starts at row 5. Seems suspicious though as the AA seatmap has X's on row 1 D&F and no other seats taken....

(If Delta hadn't messed with their service and pricing, I probably wouldn't even think about flying AA - but since they've jacked up the price and are calling HNL-ATL/MSP 'Delta One' while down-grading the plane from A330 to 767 with cramped footwell, they are not going to get my $$$$. Then again, if I am playing roulette with AA seat /config swaps, maybe I should just stay home....)
Your first mistake is using SeatGuru here, it is horribly outdated and borderline worthless when it comes to this type of thing with AA.

For HNL-DFW, the only 'roulette' you'll be playing with AA is whether you get all forward facing seats, or the forward-reverse setup. Both are 1-2-1, fully lie flat, with all aisle access. I wouldn't worry at all about which config you end up with.

For DFW-PHL, the 757 will most certainly be the int'l config, 4 rows of 2-2 lie-flat seats, as the aa.com seatmap indicates. AA only has 2 types of 757s now, the Hawaii version with recliners up front, and the int'l config used on pretty much all other 757 routes outside of PHX-Hawaii.

This combo will be about the most comfortable way I can think of to get between HNL and PHL outside of a G6.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Just came back from First Class both roundtrip BOS - DFW to OGG. Great flight and food. Will post trip report shortly. Preparing for next February to return. Curious, has anyone ever been able to redeem 40K for elusive business saver award or should I just come to grips of dishing out 67.5 or 90K for standard anytime award. Trying to get my miles in alignment to get ready for redemption next month when flights released. I will get expert flyer for award notifications but didn't know if I should hold any hope for 40K saver award or is just a myth that they actually exist!. I have been looking at January 2019 calendar for last few days and all I see is triple stop on Alaska, no 777 lie flat first class seats on AA Metal. Will also consider other options of flying to HNL instead of OGG and do interisland to get saver award if needed.

Thanks
did ogg-Dfw couple weeks ago, hope they keep the 772. We did have issues with delays both directions and swaps of a 772 without PE. which they upgrade 8, downgrade the rest and offered $1800 for volunteers.

40k is usually for double connect via phx/dfw then lax, or an AS flight out of SEA. 67.5k is ok, but with 90k i can do J/F to Asia.

i am hopping they are will bring back DFW-LIH on the 763, because the 75H out of PHX is not the best.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:14 pm

First class seats — DFW To Hawaii

I hope I am posting to this forum correctly as I was directed to this site by a TripAdvisor destination expert. I am Trying to confirm whether the first class seats from DFW to OGG (Flight 7) and from HNL to DFW (flight 102) are lie flat or angled. Several postings on TripAdvisor indicate that despite the appearance of lie flat seats on these routes due to the 1-2-1 configuration, they may actually be only angled seats.

Would appreciate any thoughts/comments/recommendations.

also would appreciate guidance as to whether the post should be directed elsewhere within the flyer talk site.

thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.