Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Hawaii Service
Changes since merger and going forward
AA operates Hawai'i service with

West Coast - Airbus A321H ETOPS (similar to A321S, may be weight restricted)

PHX: LUS ex-“East” Boeing 757-200* (new​​​​​​​ 75H) with 12 F recliner seats and 176 Y including MCE (ten of these will be used going forward). Seasonal flights with the Airbus A330-300.

DFW , seasonal ORD Hawaii Flights are operated with lie flat Business seat, Boeing 767-323ER; 777-200ER / 772 seasonal variations may occur.

*The LUS B75H "West" models) have been returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I just booked AA Flight 228 (LAX-HNL, departs 8:11pm and arrives 12:29am) and am having buyer's remorse, realizing that the meal service is listed as "Snack or Brunch" (I'm assuming because of the 8pm departure cutoff).

Can anybody confirm this is actually the case, or do they make an exception?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by bigboy61
I flew AA 5 yesterday in economy. First was the 1-2-1 configuration. It was terrible like I imagined (delayed about 40 minutes). The only IFE was on the overhead screens. The plane sounded terrible as well. The crew seemed nice and the meal was nice (even though I only ate the chips). I would not do it again on the 763. As a side note, it had a few empty seats (I counted five). Most notably, a guy had a a whole 3 seat row to himself...
Keep in mind the 767 2x3x2 along with A330 2x4x2 are the most comfortable main cabin configurations to Hawaii. United only has streaming IFE. No screens all. I prefer the available music channels on AA to that. The 777-200 with AVOD will be back on DFW/HNL soon. And for the next couple of years AVOD is available on the A321s LAX/Hawai’i.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
A144 (HNL-LAX redeye) food service

Does anyone know what the food service is on the AA144, HNL-LAX redeye departs 23:35, arrives 07:00 ?

In early January that is scheduled to be a 772 (new seats) so I intend to spend most of it horizontal and asleep in (domestic) First.

Will there be any breakfast, and what sort is it likely to be?

(The threads on domestic meals don't seem to mention this flight, and it's not quite like any other: not transcontinental 3-class, Hawaii usually gets a slight different service so direct comparison with, it's a long flight, etc)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA 3MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by flatlander
Does anyone know what the food service is on the AA144, HNL-LAX redeye departs 23:35, arrives 07:00 ?

In early January that is scheduled to be a 772 (new seats) so I intend to spend most of it horizontal and asleep in (domestic) First.

Will there be any breakfast, and what sort is it likely to be?

(The threads on domestic meals don't seem to mention this flight, and it's not quite like any other: not transcontinental 3-class, Hawaii usually gets a slight different service so direct comparison with, it's a long flight, etc)

My expectation would be: Beverage service after T/O ........ lights out........then an hour prior to landing..... Breakfast - choice of fruit or muesli. Plus yogurt, juice and warm pastry.
My reaction ...... perfectly adequate if you had had an evening meal and were not ravenous on boarding ..... also snacks (crisps etc available during the flight) for those who wish!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Discovery Bay
My expectation would be: Beverage service after T/O ........ lights out........then an hour prior to landing..... Breakfast - choice of fruit or muesli. Plus yogurt, juice and warm pastry.
My reaction ...... perfectly adequate if you had had an evening meal and were not ravenous on boarding ..... also snacks (crisps etc available during the flight) for those who wish!

OR a snack after T/O and a muffin before landing.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by railmatt
Keep in mind the 767 2x3x2 along with A330 2x4x2 are the most comfortable main cabin configurations to Hawaii. United only has streaming IFE. No screens all. I prefer the available music channels on AA to that. The 777-200 with AVOD will be back on DFW/HNL soon. And for the next couple of years AVOD is available on the A321s LAX/Hawai’i.
...and while it's 3-3 in the main cabin on the 321, it is an Airbus, meaning wider 3-3 seats than in a 757.

The 321 AVOD is chock full of movies, TV shows, and games, plus the moving map for takeoff and landing. If you end up in the main cabin, I think it's the best AA experience. 10A on the 321 is about as good of a coach experience to Hawaii as it gets.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Discovery Bay
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
OR a snack after T/O and a muffin before landing.
Can anyone state from more firm knowledge which end of the spectrum it is going to be?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Can anyone state from more firm knowledge which end of the spectrum it is going to be?
Spectrum? Perhaps from orange to yellow. You'll get a little more crappy airline food or a little less crappy airline food.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yes. Meal service consists of the snack tray (usually a choice of either a hummus plate or fruit and cheese plate for example), and a chocolate bar, and crackers on the tray. Then you get the short-haul breakfast tray prior to arrival, consisting of yogurt, granola, and a piece of fruit for example. Nothing hot (other than the towels) in either service.

Pathetic offering, if you ask me.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by formeraa
It's really hard to tell what AA is doing at any given time. When I flew from PHX-HNL last Christmas, it was a 757 with 12 F seats (the uncomfortable new AA F seats that slide forward when you recline). I thought these were reconfigured from an international configuration, but I could definitely be wrong.

Honestly, I would have rather had any other F seat (Eisenhower or old HP seats) over these awful new seats. I had a backache after 90 minutes of a 6.5 hour flight.

And, then of course, some of our posters in the know are saying that another change to 737 MAX8's will be coming in a couple of years!
Are you sure those won’t be A321 neo?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Are you sure those won’t be A321 neo?
\\

Of course, as I've noted several times in previous discussions of PHX-HNL! In fact, before the merger, US asked Airbus to make sure that the A321 neo could do PHX-HNL.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yes. Meal service consists of the snack tray (usually a choice of either a hummus plate or fruit and cheese plate for example), and a chocolate bar, and crackers on the tray. Then you get the short-haul breakfast tray prior to arrival, consisting of yogurt, granola, and a piece of fruit for example. Nothing hot (other than the towels) in either service.

Thank you; your response was informative.

It's not a great offering, but for a flight scheduled at 5h34 and often actually flown in less than 5h, a sleeper service departure meal seems reasonable. The breakfast could be decidedly better, indeed. We may bring some of our own items for that.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy

The bread basket offered during the breakfast service should offer warm breakfast breads and pastries. The "piece" of fruit is usually a large, substantial fruit bowl. For the time and lenght of the flight, I think it does the job. The flights to DFW, of course, are longer and therefore have enough time to offer a full dinner service after departure from the islands. On a 6 hour redeye, I just don't think most people want to spend close to two hours of potential sleeping time in a long, drawn out, multi-course dining experience, whereas on an 8 hour flight, people are more prone to participate in the dinner service.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
I just booked AA Flight 228 (LAX-HNL, departs 8:11pm and arrives 12:29am) and am having buyer's remorse, realizing that the meal service is listed as "Snack or Brunch" (I'm assuming because of the 8pm departure cutoff).

Can anybody confirm this is actually the case, or do they make an exception?
Suprisingly, I checked the reservation and had the ability to pre-reserve an actual meal (the flight is about two weeks from now). Options are: Steamed Sea Bass, “zucchini” “”meatballs””, and about a dozen dietary meals. Pretty extensive “snack or brunch” if you ask me!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by formeraa
It's really hard to tell what AA is doing at any given time. When I flew from PHX-HNL last Christmas, it was a 757 with 12 F seats (the uncomfortable new AA F seats that slide forward when you recline). I thought these were reconfigured from an international configuration, but I could definitely be wrong.

Honestly, I would have rather had any other F seat (Eisenhower or old HP seats) over these awful new seats. I had a backache after 90 minutes of a 6.5 hour flight.

And, then of course, some of our posters in the know are saying that another change to 737 MAX8's will be coming in a couple of years!
The HNL-PHX 757s are the LUS aircraft that used to have angle flats - these were replaced with the AA F seats that slide (similar to LAA 757 and 738). I loathe these seats, My tailbone and lower backside hurt really bad after a couple of hours.

My personal favorites were the S80 F seats. They felt like a comfortable wingback lounge chair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.