Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

All standby passengers MUST check their larger carry on luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All standby passengers MUST check their larger carry on luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
It was probably a Tumi spinner. Those should be gate checked at the ticket counter, IMHO, just for pretense.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat/PP
GA: If you are standing by, you must check your "rollerboard"

Had it happen at DCA, agent at the door podium was processing standby and sent me to the main counter to check bag. The agent at the counter corrected the misinformed agent after I disagreed with having to check my bag. Small victory, next time I'd consider asking for a supervisor if I hadn't gotten the desired result.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:50 pm

This happened to me in November on ORD-LAS. I was required to surrender my 17-inch roller bag in exchange for my new boarding pass. I wanted the earlier flight badly enough that I put up with it. Once I boarded, there was a half-empty bin right above my seat. Baggage delivery at LAS was awful, so never again...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
+1

We've all been bitten by the gate check bug. . All I ask is that the rules are not arbitrary, clear and consistently applied. . Without feedback, that won't happen.

How many times has one rushed to catch a connection and the F bins are full? Having watched countless Y pax put items in F overheads and then stroll back, I know that's all too often the reason they are full.
It's surprising how often I've seen coach-bound elites boarding shortly after first and trying to put their carry on in the F overheads as they walk on through...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by swajames
It's surprising how often I've seen coach-bound elites boarding shortly after first and trying to put their carry on in the F overheads as they walk on through...
yes, and they are going to a cabin that is empty. if I am in Y, my bag is too.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JMN57
yes, and they are going to a cabin that is empty. if I am in Y, my bag is too.
I want to be able to see where my bag is during the flight.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
The alternative may be to ask for one of those gate check tags where they bring it right up to your arrival jetbridge (like for strollers). But that would be a huge compromise in my eyes, and I would only offer it if, e.g., it was the last flight of the day and GA was being super militant.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LAXative
The alternative may be to ask for one of those gate check tags where they bring it right up to your arrival jetbridge (like for strollers). But that would be a huge compromise in my eyes, and I would only offer it if, e.g., it was the last flight of the day and GA was being super militant.
You can't do this on mainline as the luggage isn't segregated like on RJ.

Remember gate checked/jetbridge returned is screened at airport with pax, whereas checked luggage in the hold can carry forbidden cabin items.

Never shall the two mix until street side .
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Just wrong. Especially if they are clearing standby's before boarding.

Ah hello I am an elite flyer for a reason you daft GA.

If this did happen to me and was told I had to give my carry on before boarding ever started I would get GA info and start making phone calls to the EXP desk right in front of them as well as ask for a supervisor.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:12 am

If this isn't policy, it should be.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by swm61230
Just wrong. Especially if they are clearing standby's before boarding.

Ah hello I am an elite flyer for a reason you daft GA.

If this did happen to me and was told I had to give my carry on before boarding ever started I would get GA info and start making phone calls to the EXP desk right in front of them as well as ask for a supervisor.
Would you also ask as loudly as possible, "Do You Know Who I Am?!?!?"
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by jordyn
Would you also ask as loudly as possible, "Do You Know Who I Am?!?!?"
Only if your in earshot to hear it.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by lobo411
Whatever the policy is, my first ask is that it be known and consistently enforced.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:42 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by lobo411
Why would you want that as policy? Non-elites should never trump elites for anything IMHO, especially not with regard to carry-on bags!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
You can't do this on mainline as the luggage isn't segregated like on RJ.

Remember gate checked/jetbridge returned is screened at airport with pax, whereas checked luggage in the hold can carry forbidden cabin items.

Never shall the two mix until street side .
So those strollers, wheelchairs, car seats, medical devices, and carry ons that are green tagged (i think they're green) go where...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.