Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

40 Minute Connection in DUS? Incoming AA outgoing AB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm flying ORD->DUS on AA and then DUS->CTA on AB.

AA.com allows me to book it but there is only a 40 minute connection. Anyone done this and can suggest if this is even feasible.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:51 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Say, when are you going?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...r-10-24-a.html
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
I'm booking for 08/31 so its still available.

Should also add that its AA242 then connecting to airberlin 8880
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:03 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by inpd
I'm booking for 08/31 so its still available.

Should also add that its AA242 then connecting to airberlin 8880
Glad that's not a concern. 40 min seems tight as you must enter the EU at DUS...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
35 minutes is the standard MCT for DUS for I/D and I/I connections for both on-line and interline.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 777Pax
35 minutes is the standard MCT for DUS for I/D and I/I connections for both on-line and interline.
Thanks, but following Spiff's comments. Don't I have to enter the EU and possibly change terminals. Seems like a lot to ask in 40 minutes ...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
DUS airport is small and VERY efficient. Based on my recent experience, I would not hesitate to book such a connection.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:22 am
wls

Programs: AA EXP - 1MM
I believe the AA flight arrives at the far end of Terminal C with most AB departures from Terminal B. Passport control is between terminals. 40 minutes is ok if you walk briskly. Late arrival is more likely to cause you problems than MCT. According to EF and my own experience AA 242 is late an average of 38 minutes 52% of the time. With only 40 minutes any late arrival will be problematic.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by wls
According to EF and my own experience AA 242 is late an average of 38 minutes 52% of the time. With only 40 minutes any late arrival will be problematic.
+1. Certainly doable if ontime; passport control very quick at DUS at that time of the morning. An oft-leisurely departure from ORD is more likely to throw a wrench into things IME.

Personally, I would still book the connection, as that's the only nonstop connection to CTA of the day. If 242 is delayed, there is a rerouting through STR on AB that you could be accommodated on.

This thread may be of use:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...usseldorf.html
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
DUS is a total breeze for connections, especially if you're used to the buses and trains of say LHR or MAD.

You do have to change 'terminals' to get to the EU flights, but this is a 5 min walk (no buses or trains), and unless something has changed you don't have to re-clear security before your connecting flight.

40 mins is perfectly fine. Last year I was on a delayed ORD-DUS and made a 20 min connection to CPH with time to spare.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJC AA
DUS airport is small and VERY efficient. Based on my recent experience, I would not hesitate to book such a connection.
Ok I pulled the plug and booked the tight connection. Now what's the backup procedure if I missed the connection?

I can see two scenarios I) where it's obvious I'll miss the connection before leaving ORD and II) I'll miss the connection in DUS who/where do I contact in each scenario?

I won't have a phone overseas.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
Ok I pulled the plug and booked the tight connection. Now what's the backup procedure if I missed the connection?

I can see two scenarios I) where it's obvious I'll miss the connection before leaving ORD and II) I'll miss the connection in DUS who/where do I contact in each scenario?

I won't have a phone overseas.
In either case, it should be AA rebooking you as the operator of the flight that caused the issue. I'm guessing that if you're in situation II you'll have an easier time of talking to AB staff.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
In either case, it should be AA rebooking you as the operator of the flight that caused the issue. I'm guessing that if you're in situation II you'll have an easier time of talking to AB staff.
cmn.jbs is surely correct. DUS is not a large airport, and it's quite efficient. I've made connections there 3-4 times in the past couple of years without any difficulty. Your flight presumably arrives in the morning, and other options later in the day should be available.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Be advise that connection passengers have their own immigration control desk at terminal C. Following the signs which will take you past duty free. This will ask for boarding pass.

Passengers who terminate at DUS access immigration control by going down one level after exiting the gate.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Be advise that connection passengers have their own immigration control desk at terminal C. Following the signs which will take you past duty free. This will ask for boarding pass.

Passengers who terminate at DUS access immigration control by going down one level after exiting the gate.
Thanks but I don't understand the context of your information. Are you sayings there will be issues or are you offering some constructive advise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.