Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW - Admirals Club or Amex Lounge for shower and waiting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis

Hi Everyone,

I have a long layover to an international flight on AA out of DFW (assuming D) coming up. My plan is to grab a shower, grab a bite to eat, and relax a bit before the flight. I'm looking for some guidance on lounge strategy.

I have heard the showers in the Term A are quite good. Are they better than those for in the Centurion lounge? Should I make my way to A for a shower or just use the ones in the Centurion lounge?

For a bit to eat and relaxation, am I better in the Term D Admiral Club or the Centurion lounge?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by BosTravel; Aug 3, 2014 at 2:09 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by BosTravel
Hi Everyone,

I have a long layover to an international flight on AA out of DFW (assuming D) coming up. My plan is to grab a shower, grab a bite to eat, and relax a bit before the flight. I'm looking for some guidance on lounge strategy.

I have heard the showers in the Term A are quite good. Are they better than those for in the Centurion lounge? Should I make my way to A for a shower or just use the ones in the Centurion lounge?

For a bit to eat and relaxation, and I better in the Term D Admiral Club or the Centurion lounge?

Thanks for the help.
Centurion, no question
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Originally Posted by aa4ever
Centurion, no question
Thanks aa4ever - is the Centurion better for for both showering (versus A Admiral Club) and waiting?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Last time I was at Centurion, they only had 2 shower rooms and the wait was ~30 minutes and there was only one person ahead of me. I haven't had problems waiting in the Admirals Club before. But you're definitely better off overall in Centurion anyway. They have full meal service, free massage (if you can snag a reservation time before your flight), really nice shower rooms, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Centurion lounge for sure! I've got an AC membership but I haven't stopped in a DFW AC for over 6 months - even if I'm not transiting the D terminal I'll find my way to the Centurion Lounge if it takes an extra 20 minutes of my layover. The showers are great with L'occitane amenities and I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes for a shower (although mmjaysee is correct - they only have 2 shower rooms).

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Admirals Club at "A" shower suites are huge with multiple jets, and are generally available on demand. These were part of the Arrivals and Flagship lounges that were accessed via the Club when Terminal A was the International terminal; you can see the remains of both when you're there (their doors flank the lifts / elevators). (There is also a small fitness centre there, actually a micro fitness centre.)

Particularly with a longer layover, I'd not hesitate to visit A for a shower, particularly if there's any sort of wait in the Centurion lounge; then I'd walk back to the Centurion lounge, for certain.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton ◆
Definitely go to A for the shower, then head to the Centurion lounge after that.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I vote AC A for showers too. The Centurion lounge showers are not as nice and have this annoying tendency to fluctuate in temperature.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I vote AC A for showers too. The Centurion lounge showers are not as nice and have this annoying tendency to fluctuate in temperature.
I've also noticed the temperature fluctuations in the amex lounge shower. You get better freebies in the amex showers (lotions, etc.) and there are no signs so you have to figure out which tap does what (I think that makes it 'elegant'). The DFW A showers are by far the best showers I have experienced anywhere, ever.

If I were you I'd pop into the amex lounge and book a massage, then head over to A for a shower, then head back to amex for food and the massage.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Oh yeah, I thought the temperature fluctuations would have been fixed by now but apparently not. Sounds like AC A is the best for showers.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I agree... AC club in A for showers. Never been in the other lounge, but I'd still pick the AC for the shower based on it being the nicest shower I've ever used anywhere.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Just to confirm....the Centurion lounge is free with AMEX Centurion or AMEX Plat, and $50 for any other AMEX cardholder?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Just to confirm....the Centurion lounge is free with AMEX Centurion or AMEX Plat, and $50 for any other AMEX cardholder?
Correct.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I should probably check it out. I have 2 AMEX cards that I use, but they are not my primary cards so I don't have platinum with them. It would be worth the $50 for a long layover if the food is good and the additional services are worth it, since you're likely to spend ~$20 in the terminal for decent food anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I should probably check it out. I have 2 AMEX cards that I use, but they are not my primary cards so I don't have platinum with them. It would be worth the $50 for a long layover if the food is good and the additional services are worth it, since you're likely to spend ~$20 in the terminal for decent food anyway.
The cocktails at the Centurion lounge are also worth it, if you're into that kind of thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.