Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues
Getting AA EQ and Award Miles credit for involuntary rerouting - on AA or other airlines)

Previous posts on this subject are archived here.

Q. Can I earn the originally scheduled Elite Qualifying Dollars, Miles and Segments and Award Miles when I'm involuntarily rerouted to shorter flights, or to another airline?
A. You may be able to. Whether you can will depend on several conditions.

Situation 1: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and miss your connection and are rerouted to other AA flights; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights (if you'd rather earn according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later).

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

● If this did not happen, you will have to contact AAdvantage Customer Service, preferably to your Elite line to the reservations desk; the recommended wording is to state, more or less, "I was given an involuntary reroute and request original routing credit".

● EQ Segment credit may be more difficult to secure; nonetheless, members have reported having it granted.

● Agents seem to be fond of telling requesters they will grant ORC "this time on a one time basis, as an exception"; however, ORC seems to be pretty standard.

Situation 2: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles), but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). ORC will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and calculate your EQ and Award miles accordingly.

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 3: NOT EXACTLY: You are flying on an "instant upgrade" fare and crediting to AA, and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline. You would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles) in "instant upgrade" First, but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines in Coach SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). (AA will generally allow you to cancel your flights for full refundability, fly the next available AA flight in Main Cabin if there's no same fare availability (that can be a day or two later) or fly in the next available Main Cabin seat.

● ORC in this instance will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and may calculate your EQ and Award miles in accordance with your originally, pre-upgrade K fare (you will normally be flying AS coach in this situation).

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 4: NO: You are flying an AA partner airline, but crediting your flight activity to AA; you miss your connection and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: you are flying BA to LHR and onward to VCE, but due to operational problems BA are routes you via FRA on LH.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You will have the opportunity to earn in Lufthansa etc. Miles and More.

Situation 5: NO: You are flying AA and stand by or Same Day Flight Change or are otherwise granted rerouting for your personal convenience; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● Generally, AA has no obligation to you because your rerouting is voluntary and not due to any act by or to AA.

Link to AAdvantage Customer Service e-form and telephone numbers.

Situation 6: NO: You were scheduled to fly AA, but AA cancelled the flight and offered a seat the next day. You cancelled the ticket, AA refunded your ticket and you purchased a ticket on another airline; you want Original Routing Credit.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You cancelled your AA ticket voluntarily, accepted a refund and flew on another airline.[/b]

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Anyone had any experience in getting them to credit into your AA account for rerouted OW-partner flights to non-OW partner?

I have yet to request, but recently was supposed to fly with BA from CTU to LHR, but due to mechanical, was rerouted to KLM via AMS. (am still arguing to BA on the downgrade from PE to Y - another story).
Anyway, I do have the boarding passes for the original segments, can I send them in for mileage request?

Any insights will be helpful to help to get this credited.

Cheers!
Likely, no ORC. I flew AA to DFW to connect to BA for LHR and VCE. IROPS and BA rerouted us on LH (or we'd have been delayed two days due to BA/IB lack of availabilty.

We arrived on time at VCE, but no ORC.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
This shoulds like a change in policy (or uninformed agents) if you read the first line of the wiki at the top of the page. Maybe it needs to be escalated. All too often I find CSRs citing non-existent rules only to back down if challenged. What's the term: HUCA?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA PRO
Originally Posted by dll
Quote:

Originally Posted by intub8r

...just let sleeping dogs lie?

That's my recommendation right there. Based on my interaction, they won't grant any form of ORC for miles not flown on their metal.
Thanks for the feedback. That was kind of my gut feeling to begin with, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort and risk for 500 EQM and another 500 RDM.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, WN A list, IHG Plat, Delta pittance
Flight was cancelled and placed on UA- no miles post?

I had a flight out of JAC to BWI through DFW on 2-28, and Mother Nature swooped in at DFW so that they cancelled my flight. The agents at the airport put me on a United flight the next day. I noticed that the miles getting to JAC posted some time ago but none for my return. Do I need to call AA? Or do they not even post if the flight is cancelled?
Sorry to seem stupid, but I generally fly Southwest so am not well versed with other airlines. Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bakablonde
I had a flight out of JAC to BWI through DFW on 2-28, and Mother Nature swooped in at DFW so that they cancelled my flight. The agents at the airport put me on a United flight the next day. I noticed that the miles getting to JAC posted some time ago but none for my return. Do I need to call AA? Or do they not even post if the flight is cancelled?
Sorry to seem stupid, but I generally fly Southwest so am not well versed with other airlines. Thanks!
Search for posts here called ORC - Original Routing Credit. There is a process that is detailed out in there.

In short you will not miles automatically unless you request them.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Yes call AA reservations and ask them to put you thru to Customer Service (only during regular business hours). CS will handle the request. You will need ticket #.
Or you could try email and ask for ORC. Original Routing Credit.Good luck.
Also if you have a UA account ask them for miles credit.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, WN A list, IHG Plat, Delta pittance
I don't have a UA account, so I will call AA using what was suggested above. Thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by intub8r
Thanks for the feedback. That was kind of my gut feeling to begin with, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort and risk for 500 EQM and another 500 RDM.
Another data point:

On December 11, 2014, the return leg of my LGA-YYZ-LGA was cancelled due to weather, and I was "protected" onto Delta flights (YYZ-DTW-LGA).

I hadn't bothered to contact AA but looked through this thread today and decided it would be interesting to see whether I'd get any credit. I first filled out the Request Mileage form on the website, then called to follow up a few hours later.

The woman I spoke with said that the online form wouldn't work, as this is considered an exception, but that she'd be happy to assist. She asked for the flight number, looked up my itinerary, confirmed that the flight was cancelled and found the Delta flights that I was placed on. She immediately credited me with the 500 flight miles and 25% Gold bonus.

FWIW, she was speaking out loud as she was writing her notes and I heard her say "...customer was rerouted on - wait - protected on Delta flights..."

In my case though, the original flight was on AA metal.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Policy changed?

I recently tried requesting ORC for an ORD-BWI flight on AA metal that was canceled. As far as I know, the cancellation was not weather-related (clear skies in Chicago and Baltimore that day). The only remaining option for me to get to BWI the same day was on UA, so I requested that they endorse the ticket over.

In past situations like this I've gotten ORC, so I wrote in online using the key words "involuntarily rerouted" and "original routing credit," but no dice. The first response was a stock answer about no compensation for weather-related issues (not relevant), but when I wrote back I got a more direct response clearly denying the request:

We've received your most recent emails, and we're disappointed to learn that you are still upset with us. Please be assured, your request for mileage credit was taken seriously. We're sorry if we initially left you with the impression that it wasn't.

Perhaps it would be helpful to know, when we rescheduled you on another carrier, we were working hard to get you to your destination despite our off schedule operation. However, we do not credit AAdvantage® mileage for segments that are not actually flown on American Airlines. We feel this is reasonable since we do not receive the revenue for that segment. Of course, we understand that AAdvantage® mileage is one reason customers specifically select American Airlines when scheduling their trips, and we're sorry your plans had to be changed.

Mr. ismann, let me assure you that our position does not lessen our regard for you as our customer. If given the chance to welcome you aboard again, we'll do our best to get you to your destination as planned.
Sounds like a policy change, no? And yet there are recent reports about people still getting ORC in similar situations even when the change was due to factors outside AA control. Anyone else have recent experiences successfully requesting ORC?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
However, we do not credit AAdvantage® mileage for segments that are not actually flown on American Airlines.
My only experience with this was last October when weather had cancelled almost all DFW-IAH legs for the day, and they put me on a United flight. I called in (PLT at the time) and was given the credit for the AA DFW-IAH that had been cancelled. Guessing like you said, it's a policy change.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Was scheduled to fly YYZ-LGA-GSO this past Sunday.

On LGA-GSO, we waited in line to become #1 for departure at LGA (about a 20~ minute wait), then suddenly taxied away from the runway and back towards the terminal. Captain said there was an issue with the engine bleed, so after having eAAgle MX come on board, we had a shuttle bus pull up and off-load us. Bussed over to the other concourse (poor rebooking situation, fwiw).

Rebooked on DL, which credited over there was full Y, $957 MQD ^, and I even got an u/g. Not bad.

Called AAdvantage CS a few mins ago and the AAgent happily credited me with the ORC for LGA-GSO. No hesitation, putting me on hold to check, etc..
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Was scheduled to fly YYZ-LGA-GSO this past Sunday.

On LGA-GSO, we waited in line to become #1 for departure at LGA (about a 20~ minute wait), then suddenly taxied away from the runway and back towards the terminal. Captain said there was an issue with the engine bleed, so after having eAAgle MX come on board, we had a shuttle bus pull up and off-load us. Bussed over to the other concourse (poor rebooking situation, fwiw).

Rebooked on DL, which credited over there was full Y, $957 MQD ^, and I even got an u/g. Not bad.

Called AAdvantage CS a few mins ago and the AAgent happily credited me with the ORC for LGA-GSO. No hesitation, putting me on hold to check, etc..
So maybe the lesson is that you have to call customer service, not send an email? Strange, but I'll give it a shot and report back.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ismann
So maybe the lesson is that you have to call customer service, not send an email? Strange, but I'll give it a shot and report back.
Yep, that is indeed the lesson, no policy change after all. AAdvantage CS took care of it immediately - the phone agent was extremely helpful and friendly.

AA right hand, meet AA left hand.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ismann
Yep, that is indeed the lesson, no policy change after all. AAdvantage CS took care of it immediately - the phone agent was extremely helpful and friendly.

AA right hand, meet AA left hand.
Good to know. Sitting here at OKC waiting for my DL flights as AA went mechanical. I am going to explode into a ball of fury if I don't get ORC. Ok that's a little excessive but still. Will definitely be calling in tomorrow.

ETA: Just called in, AAdvantage CS rep initially seemed clueless (also sounded like she had a bad cold so maybe that's what I was interpreting as clueless). In any case I explained yadda yadda, mechanical delay in OKC, rebooked to DL, can I get ORC, she put me on a brief hold (less than 2 minutes - I assume to talk to her supervisor?), and posted the segments without asking anything else. So, yes, definitely call in.

Last edited by no1cub17; Apr 7, 2015 at 8:42 am Reason: got credit
Old May 4, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Now how does ORC work if I never was able to reach my final destination? Called CS twice with no luck because I never got to final destination and just sent an email to try my luck that way.

LAX-DFW-NRT-CGK mileage run return. DFW-NRT was delayed 5 hours causing a domino effect so I was sent back to LAX to fly CX to HKG the NRT, so never reached CGK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.