Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by vikasr
I have a ticket booked using Avios in business class for 2 people from LGA to DEL. The flight is LGA to BOS on AA and from BOS to DOH and DOH to DEL on QR, all in first (AA) and business (QR). I am a Oneworld Sapphire.

QR allows 2 hand bags per person in business class.

Can anybody let me know how many hand bags will we be allowed on the AA flight from LGA to BOS? As per QR rules, 2 hand bags each will be allowed for BOS to DEL.
Just to be clear, you may want to review the AA website which gives the dimensions for what it describes as a "personal" and a "carry on". Note that class of service and your status are irrelevant.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by wrp96

1 personal bag
1 carryon bag
The good news is AA essentially has no enforced weight limit, though 40 lbs is nominal, while Qatar states

“Two pieces, not to exceed 15 kg (33 lb) and 50x37x25 cm” for Business and one small personal item such as briefcase, etc.

For AA, as others have said, cabin baggage requirements are generally the same regardless of class of service.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:04 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by wrp96

1 personal bag
1 carryon bag
I'm interested in adding to my collection of rollaboards and I'm eyeing the TravelPro Maxlite 5 22" (love how light it is) -- which is actually 23" exterior dimension as is true of most, if not all, of the 22s including those I already have. I've never had a problem with the fact that my 22s stick out above the top of the sizer by an inch (basically the handle). I know that if they want to they can enforce that rule, but I just haven't seen it happening, so before I go ahed and get yet another "illegal" 22 I'm curious -- Has anyone been forced to gate check a 22" bag because of that extra inch of length in recent times? Thanks.

Last edited by BLG; Aug 2, 2018 at 9:07 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BLG
I'm interested in adding to my collection of rollaboards and I'm eyeing the TravelPro Maxlite 5 22" (love how light it is) -- which is actually 23" exterior dimension as is true of most, if not all, of the 22s including those I already have. I've never had a problem with the fact that my 22s stick out above the top of the sizer by an inch (basically the handle). I know that if they want to they can enforce that rule, but I just haven't seen it happening, so before I go ahed and get yet another "illegal" 22 I'm curious -- Has anyone been forced to gate check a 22" bag because of that extra inch of length in recent times? Thanks.
I’ve seen it enforced at PHL and ORD many times since last year even for passengers with elite status. I haven’t noticed it anywhere else recently.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:38 am
BLG

Originally Posted by AA100k

I’ve seen it enforced at PHL and ORD many times since last year even for passengers with elite status. I haven’t noticed it anywhere else recently.
That's very interesting. Definitely makes me think twice about acquiring yet another 22". I do have a TravelPro 19" that I use whenever I can in terms of amount of stuff just so I don't have to worry about a gate check. I only take my B&R 22" when I really need it for more stuff and I guess I've been lucky and never had a problem, but your experience definitely gives me second thoughts about buying yet another 22". Thanks.

Last edited by BLG; Aug 2, 2018 at 10:44 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BLG
That's very interesting. Definitely makes me think twice about acquiring yet another 22". I do have a TravelPro 19" that I use whenever I can in terms of amount of stuff just so I don't have to worry about a gate check. I only take my B&R 22" when I really need it for more stuff and I guess I've been lucky and never had a problem, but your experience definitely gives me second thoughts about buying yet another 22". Thanks.
I bought a bag recently that easily fits the sizer. The way I compensated for the lost space is in my personal item where I really push the limits on size. I use either a backpack or duffel that easily fits under the seat but both are a bit longer and wider than the stated limits. I’ve never been challenged on the size of my personal item as long as I place it under the seat.

Not sure when the Airbus 321s will be retrofitted with the new space saver bins but things should change for the better when those get installed for those of us who regularly fly that aircraft. Let’s hope!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive

I fly in and out of ORD typically once a month. I have never had an issue with AA at the gate but I do sometimes see the red jackets at security pushing people away. My bag is a Rimowa Salsa which shows dimensions of 17 7/10 W x 9 4/5 D x 22 H. The width is clearly a good 3-4" beyond the allotment. I typically will turn it so the depth/height is the only thing clearly noticeable by a gate agent. Haven't had any issues yet and have taken 100+ flights with it. YMMV but personally I think as long as it's close you will usually be ok. I wouldn't hesitate with the 22" of height. If that was the case they'd have to start checking tons of bags!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:11 pm
BLG

I bought a bag recently that easily fits the sizer. The way I compensated for the lost space is in my personal item where I really push the limits on size. I use either a backpack or duffel that easily fits under the seat but both are a bit longer and wider than the stated limits. I’ve never been challenged on the size of my personal item as long as I place it under the seat.
I also use a backpack as my personal item. It does make up for some of the lost space when I'm using my smaller bag. I do find it annoying that the bag manufacturers are offering so few choices of bags that are genuinely 22 or less. There are a few decent choices but nothing compared with the number of 20/22" bags that actually exceed the sizer.
AA100k likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, United 1k, ITA CE, Marriott Ambr, Hertz Pres, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres
AA Forced bag check

Ok, I am a long time reader and first-time poster. I was recently forced to check my carry on Briggs and Riley expandable carryon bag, on what happened to be my first flight as an EXP. I was flying from LAX-DFW on AA's 787-9 in business. I went to go the TSA-precheck when a lady stopped me asking me to check the size of my bag, I kindly said it is not going to fit in there, but I am on the 787 so it will fit. She insisted I check the bag. I walked over to the counter to speak with an agent stating I had this bag with me from DFW-JFK-LHR-BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX and had not once had to check it on BA or AA. I pointed out I was on the 787-9 which have ample amount of overhead space. She stated, sir the space is not just for you, which I completely understand but I have always had a bin to my self on every leg of this trip so far while continually flying in business. Obviously arguing was going to get me nowhere so I checked the bag. This, of course, created a 40 min delay getting home because DFW baggage is notoriously slow. Of course, when I got on the plane, ample space could be found everywhere. I guess my question is with the larger bins on all sky interior 737's and ample space on all widebodies will AA ever move to make a distinction between carryon size allowed on different aircraft as the overhead space improves across the fleet? Or will I ever win this argument if this situation occurs again?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Did the bag exceed the published carry on bag size limits for AA?
I doubt AA is ever going to have different published size for each aircraft type.

That says, if AA publishes a max size, then employees should not allow it to be exceeded, whether the brand is Briggs and Riley or Kirkland?
Whether or not it slips past is a different issue. AA can have problems if it purposely fails to follow its published policies
And, of course, just because you got it on some flights does not change the fact it is oversized (assuming it is)
It's like speeding. I haven't received a ticket since July 4, 2016. I speed daily. I don't complain when I get stopped by saying I have been speeding for most of the last 25000 miles without getting a ticket.
It's not that I don't understand your issue. My wife bought a bag that meets the carryon limits of US carriers, and many foreign ones, BUT not the recently changed smaller SU (Aeroflot) requirements.
Due to expectation of SU delays to JFK, and the need to clear Customs, she did carry it on at SVO (carryon approved tag received at gate), because she didn't want to misconnect at JFK enroute to TPA on B6 (JetBlue)

Last edited by mvoight; Oct 3, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Was it an AA employee who stopped you? If it was the TSA people, they're out of their jurisdiction (unless the bag doesn't fit in the x-ray).

I've yet to win the bag size argument when it gets measured. I usually just kinda hope it doesn't. As far as I know, the bag sizer used doesn't reflect the aircraft being flown.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:13 am

It sounds like it was TSA staff or the pre-check line rent-a-cop, and not AA, that forced you to check the bag.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:17 am

Was the lady an AA employee or a TSA employee or a general airport employee? TSA is not in the business of policing baggage size. I encountered a similar situation at AA's terminal at JFK. The person at the entrance of security was clearly a general airport contract employee, so I politely said I'd discuss it with the gate agent and continued through to pre-check.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that OP's bag did not fit in the sizer and the sizer's dimensions match the dimensions to which OP agreed when he purchased his ticket.

The fact that the bag might be capable of being shoe-horned into an OH is irrelevant and it is particularly irrelevant that it was a 787. AA, just like UA and DL, publishes carry-on dimensions. They do not vary by aircraft and it is highly unlikely that any air carrier would ever so something which invites that much confusion and error.

To avoid further confusion for OP, here are the rules:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp

No need to get wound up about the employment status of the line minder. Paid by the airport authority at the request of the carriers and part of the reason is to push people who need to check bags off to the check-in counters rather than crowding the gates.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, United 1k, ITA CE, Marriott Ambr, Hertz Pres, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
It sounds like it was TSA staff or the pre-check line rent-a-cop, and not AA, that forced you to check the bag.
It was the pre check security below the escalator in terminal 4. After that the AA agents clearly were not going to go to bat for me. Maybe it's a LAX thing, I honestly only fly through LAX a couple times a year. My bag was certainly over the "limits" but would have easily fit into my space, as it had on all my other flights for the month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.