Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Isn't it possible to bypass by going to the non-priority security and walking along the upstairs walkway toward the CLEAR stations?

I've never been questioned going up the priority escalator, but my rollaboard carryon and briefcase are both within the published dimensions and would fit easily in the sizer.
JDiver and oldpenny16 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Majuki

I've never been questioned going up the priority escalator, but my rollaboard carryon and briefcase are both within the published dimensions and would fit easily in the sizer.
Perhaps that is why you have never been challenged
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by StradaleAA
Thank you, I have no issues with the enforcement or anyone involved. Just curious if at some point they may allow for the optimization of the overhead space, especially in premium cabins where I rarely see bin spaces full.
No. I don't think they will ever have carry on allowances that are aircraft dependent .

While I agree that the overhead bins are not full in business in certain wide body/ long haul flights, the same is not true for domestic first. On several occasions , when I have boarded late domestic first the overhead bins are already full.
Also, it is more often than not that the overhead bins in general are completely full and bags have to be checked despite the aircraft being newer and having more generous overhead room.

​​​​​​I could see the argument that a more generous policy could be established for pax on international business or premium economy but then many of those passengers will connect domestically so they will be non compliant on their next leg.

It is not going to happen, IMO

Last edited by carlosdca; Oct 5, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
If using the non-precheck line doesn't work and you have an extra 20 minutes, you could walk down to terminal 5.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:57 am

Two baggage questions

I couldn't find answers to these on aa.com

1. If as an Ex Plat I check 4 bags for a domestic flight, will my 4th bag fee be the 1st bag fee ($30) or the 4th bag fee ($150)
2. If I book two people on the same reservation , me Ex Plat and companion no status - do they get the Ex Plat bag allowance

Thanks

Steve
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Being the 4th bag, it will be the 4th bag fee of $150
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:20 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I couldn't find answers to these on aa.com

1. If as an Ex Plat I check 4 bags for a domestic flight, will my 4th bag fee be the 1st bag fee ($30) or the 4th bag fee ($150)
2. If I book two people on the same reservation , me Ex Plat and companion no status - do they get the Ex Plat bag allowance

Thanks

Steve
I'm not Ex Plat, but my companion has always gotten the same number of bags for free that I got (Plat / Plat Pro).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:06 pm

I have an early morning flight this Friday from MIA to DCA and have never traveled with a garment bag before. How likely is it that I can successfully ask to use the closet? I was also planning to bring a carry on as well so would that incur an additional charge at the gate (assuming a garment bag is counted as a carry on)?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Fold0rDie
I have an early morning flight this Friday from MIA to DCA and have never traveled with a garment bag before. How likely is it that I can successfully ask to use the closet? I was also planning to bring a carry on as well so would that incur an additional charge at the gate (assuming a garment bag is counted as a carry on)?
Per AA's own terms

Soft-sided garment bags up to 51 inches / 130 cm (length + width + height) can also be taken as your carry-on item
See: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp

If one bag isn't the size of a personal item, most fares I'm familiar with do not permit two carry-on bags
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by TSparky
If using the non-precheck line doesn't work and you have an extra 20 minutes, you could walk down to terminal 5.
10 if you stride purposefully. :-)

Originally Posted by Fold0rDie
AFAIK, there is no charge to gate check a bag, assuming that you get both through security. As for using the forward closet, you can always ask, but since the FAs use it to store their own stuff, it will likely depend on whether they have left any room and are willing to share. On a nostalgic note, I miss the garment bag hangers they used to have on planes, where about 15 bags would fit and then the rack was stowed in the wall. I guess they needed the room for more seats. :-(
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Haven’t seen those garment bag hangers for years.

As as a note if the changes to carry on rules, I am not looking forward to holiday travel,
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:21 pm

Hi all,

My first time on AA next month - what's the latest on carry-on size enforcement? I'm flying on a domestic 737-800 connection and have a "BA size" carry-on (50x40x20 cm), but as you all know the published maximum AA width is 35 cm which seems unusually narrow.

I'm OWE so in one of the first groups if that makes a difference. Will I be okay?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by just_starting
I'm flying on a domestic 737-800 connection and have a "BA size" carry-on (50x40x20 cm), but as you all know the published maximum AA width is 35 cm which seems unusually narrow.
Odds are, you'll be fine. If you are asked to put your bag in a sizer, I'm not sure if it will fit but it might.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by just_starting
Hi all,

My first time on AA next month - what's the latest on carry-on size enforcement? I'm flying on a domestic 737-800 connection and have a "BA size" carry-on (50x40x20 cm), but as you all know the published maximum AA width is 35 cm which seems unusually narrow.

I'm OWE so in one of the first groups if that makes a difference. Will I be okay?

Thanks!
It is too wide to meet AAs criteria. But if it isnt over-stuffed, it probably looks smaller (shorter) than the AA limit, and they (may) not ask you to sizer it....

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Apr 10, 2019 at 12:24 pm Reason: typo, clarity
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:43 pm

Does anyone have any recent experience using the Away Bigger Carry-On? They claim that it fits the AA sizers, although each dimension is almost an inch over spec.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.