Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The policy varies from airline to airline only in the size (and in some overseas cases, weight) of the carryon items, and in what specific exceptions they have.

But the one carryon and one personal item (that must fit under the seat in front of you) limit per passenger is a TSA-imposed limit, so it applies to all flights departing the USA on all airlines*. (And there's something similar in most other places in the world, too.)

* A few "budget" airlines charge you for carryons, but that's a separate issue, and doesn't apply to "traditional" airlines like AA or Delta.

However: All this applies only if you board early enough. On some flights, they run out of overhead space before they finish boarding, and then they may demand that your carryon be "gate checked" to your final destination. So what was described above is what is allowed through security and what is allowed as you enter the plane if there is still plenty of overhead space left.

And on "small planes" (smaller regional jets, as well as turboprops), bigger carryon bags are left on the ramp when boarding and picked up on the ramp when deplaning.

So while you can plan to take a rollaboard on the plane, if there's anything you absolutely must have with you (say, medication), make sure you take that in a personal item (or in a pocket or whatever), as there not a guarantee that you'll be able to board with that rollaboard.
I am using a spinner luggage and the flight is domestic in the lower 48 states. If that changes anything.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ren3DM
I am using a spinner luggage and the flight is domestic in the lower 48 states. If that changes anything.
The wheels must be within the allowed size. The agent may try to gate check it anyway if it looks to be close to the allowed size as they tend to assume that anything with wheels is over sized.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If your bag is checked at the gate - whether it's because it's slightly too big, or because it's a small plane with small bins, or because the bins have filled before you board - you won't be charged for that.

As others have noted, anything that's fragile, valuable, or that you can't do without for a day or two (medicine, keys, event tickets) should go in your personal item bag, if you do have to check your carry-on.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by swag
If your bag is checked at the gate - whether it's because it's slightly too big, or because it's a small plane with small bins, or because the bins have filled before you board - you won't be charged for that.

As others have noted, anything that's fragile, valuable, or that you can't do without for a day or two (medicine, keys, event tickets) should go in your personal item bag, if you do have to check your carry-on.
The plane I'm flying to PHX is a Boeing 737-800 and the plane back(delta) is Boeing 737-800
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ren3DM
The plane I'm flying to PHX is a Boeing 737-800 and the plane back(delta) is Boeing 737-800
The practice on recent crowded flights that I have been on is for the agent to announce at the gate that people can check bags free of charge. On a 737 they will be carried as regular checked luggage and appear at baggage claim at your destination. There have been enough volunteers that there has then been room for all the bags that were carried on. If the flight is not full then there should be no problem.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Will my 22" B&R carry-on luggage / baggage fit in an overhead bin?

I've got a few flights around the US coming up and was looking at bringing my Briggs & Riley 22" Baseline International carry on with me.

Whilst most of the flights I have are on 738, 321, 319s etc., I have a couple of flights using an E75 and a CR7.

Would I have to check this at some point? Did read something about checking it at the aircraft door and getting it back on the jetway rather than the carousels.
Luckily, these flights have 1.5-2.5hrs between connections so I'm not going to have to rush off for another flight 40 minutes later (although one is from PTY-MIA so would want to get to immigration ASAP).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:04 am

It should fit in the E175, but not the CR7.

But you're also right that on the CR7 they'll take it from you at the gate and return it to you at the destination gate rather than having to check and reclaim at the baggage carousel.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Do be aware that although it will fit in the overhead bin, it won't fit in the sizer as the 'International' versions are 15" wide and the limit is 14"...

Generally you will probably get away with it, but if you have to avoid any chance of being forced to check it into the hold then you may need a smaller case...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The E75 will hold larger bags like mainline. The one caveat though is that IME the overhead bins fill up faster than on mainline, and they don't valet check if there is no room in the overheads, instead they check to baggage claim at your final destination just like mainline.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:27 am

I'm flying in first so hopefully should be able to get overhead space before things fill up too much.

I have been considering a backpack and/or leaving my main bag somewhere such as left luggage whilst I fly around.
Planning on doing some running and my gear (shoes, socks, shorts, tops, fleece, tracksuit bottoms) for that takes up a bit of space in my case and generally causes it to bulge (tight squeeze into the wardrobe in CX F).
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
As noted, it may be less a case of whether it fits in or not and more a case of whether the GA or FA allows you the opportunity to find out if it fits.

I've had some say, "no way", don't even get on with it, and I have had others say, "it won't fit, but we're not crowded, I'll stick it in back".
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The E75 iirc has full size bins on the starboard (right as you're facing forward) side, but much smaller bins on the port side. F can usually accommodate all F pax' carryon 22" rollaboards, Y definitely not - assuming one boards early rather than at last moment.

CR7 your B&R 22" will be valet checked prior to boarding and delivered to you after you disembark at LAX, or in the jetway (most airports).

All others mentioned can accommodate a 22" roller bag, and AA dimensions for carry-on are max dimensions 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 23 x 36 x 56 centimeters.

GAs trying to be "proactive" may try to have you check your bag (certainly if it doesn't fit the baggage template, regardless of whether the bag will fit an overhead bin), and some here report accepting the counter check tag but not placing it on the bag - and rolling it aboard anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by xenole
I've got a few flights around the US coming up and was looking at bringing my Briggs & Riley 22" Baseline International carry on with me.
Do you have the 21" Baseline International(U121CXW) or the 22" Baseline Domestic(U122CX)? Unless you purchased it years ago, B&R doesn't have a 22" Baseline International.

U122CX is 22x14x9. U121CXW is 21x15x9.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Sizing

Might want to be mindful of the actual size. I've discovered that while luggage might say 21 inches (or whatever size), it typically refers to the actual size of the bag, not inclusive of wheels.

I've noticed AA or their contractors have become, on occasion, sticklers with ensuring the luggage size be inclusive of wheels. While the bag may fit in the overhead, it may not fir in the sizer. And if you are asked to put it in the sizer, and it's a smidge over, it may not get either through security, or on the plane.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:01 am

Model No of case is: U122CX-4 Black

Ok, been looking at further flights in first and these suit my timings.

RDU-DCA 5:56am - 6:59am Canadair RJ 700
DCA-PHL 7:35am - 8:49am Embraer RJ-175

Seeing as there's 36 minutes between 2 RJs, is there any chance of getting my B&R 21"? carry-on on and off the flights in time? Not sure how long things take and only been through DCA once so not 100% familiar with gate layouts.

Flying onwards to LAX later in the day so I could always check the bag at RDU and hope they somehow route it to me but I'm doubtful I would see it again that day.

Last edited by xenole; Aug 15, 2016 at 4:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.