Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:27 pm

I wish I could valet my larger carry on and then I could throw my briefcase in the overhead bin. Tada, more room.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
From AA.com

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...nAllowance.jsp

You can bring one small carry-on bag plus one personal item per passenger as long as the carry-on bag fits comfortably in the sizer without being forced and does not exceed overall dimensions of 45 inches (length + width + height).

The maximum dimensions cannot exceed any of the following measurements: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm). All carry-on items should be stowed in an overhead bin.

Personal item - includes: purse, briefcase, laptop bag OR a similar item such as a tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length+width+height) and must fit under the seat in front of you. For travel after June 11, 2014, the personal item does not have specific size requirements, but must be smaller than your carry-on bag and must fit under the seat in front of you.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
I'm glad I read this thread prior to ordering a new carryon. The one I planned to purchase is 8" x 15.5" x 20". Fortunately, I spotted one which is 7.7" x 14" x 21".
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by captaink
I'm curious to see how my TravelPro Flightcrew 4 22" roller will be treated. If they insist on checking it, then all the FAs/nonrevs better have theirs checked as well
Isn't that 45 linear inches by way of 22x14x9 inches? Then it fits both the sizer and all the variations of AA cabin-bag rules that have been valid for some years now.

It's the likes of 20 x 15.5 x 8 inch cabin bags that fit some variations of the AA cabin bag rules representation (by way of having dimensions total less than 45 linear inches) but not necessarily the sizer.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Isn't that 45 linear inches by way of 22x14x9 inches? Then it fits both the sizer and all the variations of AA cabin-bag rules that have been valid for some years now.

It's the likes of 20 x 15.5 x 8 inch cabin bags that fit some variations of the AA cabin bag rules representation (by way of having dimensions total less than 45 linear inches) but not necessarily the sizer.
I just measured and while it's sold as those dimensions, it it a bit bigger in all three dimensions, such that it wouldn't fit in a sizer that is exactly 22x14x9.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by Sant
I'm glad I read this thread prior to ordering a new carryon. The one I planned to purchase is 8" x 15.5" x 20". Fortunately, I spotted one which is 7.7" x 14" x 21".
According to here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPl...eing737800.jsp, the overhead bin width on a 737-800 is 78". Allowing for a bit of tolerance, and handles, such a bin should be able to fit five 14" wide bags, but likely only four 15.5" ones. Therefore, I can see AA caring about the width more than anything else since it could increase bag capacity by 25% on a plane that is now the workhorse of the domestic fleet.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:57 pm
Suspended

The US airline industry cartel's Big 3 kingpins seem to have become more hostile over cabin bag dimensions than most of the other US common carriers. Given AA/US, DL and UA are rather aggressively devaluing the frequent flyer program miles/benefits for most of their customers, ditching them for other airlines (or playing Kayaker) is going to get a lot easier as all the small cuts add up to push customers to largely abandon loyalty. Perhaps the cabin bag issue will be bigger or smaller than anticipated in getting/losing customers for the legacy airlines. It is noticeable that DL's contracts/conditions of carriage even more recently have only mentioned 45 linear inches and not said anything about having to fit in a sizer which excludes many bags that are at or under 45 linear inches.

.... maybe DL isn't so bad amongst the Big 3 cartel kingpins if you don't care much at all about airline "loyalty" program benefits.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just measured and while it's sold as those dimensions, it it a bit bigger in all three dimensions, such that it wouldn't fit in a sizer that is exactly 22x14x9.
Unfortunately true of most so called 22" bags that I've looked at.

I went for a 20" bag and even that is only just inside the allowed limits as they seem to forget to measure including the wheels ...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
According to here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPl...eing737800.jsp, the overhead bin width on a 737-800 is 78". Allowing for a bit of tolerance, and handles, such a bin should be able to fit five 14" wide bags, but likely only four 15.5" ones.
Great example of why the 'but it fits in the bin' and the 'it's only an inch or so wider ..' excuses really don't stand up as justifications, merely excuses ...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Great example of why the 'but it fits in the bin' and the 'it's only an inch or so wider ..' excuses really don't stand up as justifications, merely excuses ...
It's not an excuse when AA had made representations that indicate that many such bags are allowable as cabin bags by way of being less than 45 linear inches -- allowable even if the bag exceeds the sizer by a small bit on one side.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
That assumes that everyone else on the plane is also carrying a 14" wide roller bag. For every bag that is an inch bigger in one dimension, there is a bag that is an inch smaller.

FAs need to be more proactive about shuffling bags to fit more efficiently, removing smaller items and telling the owner to stick it under the seat, etc. Bag sizer totalitarianism just alienates customers.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:55 pm

went through jfk on may 28, there's was someone enforcing the carry on rules in t8 as you entered security. so even before the gate, it was clear that communication was given. fair amount of people were directed back to check-in.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's not an excuse when AA had made representations that indicate that many such bags are allowable as cabin bags by way of being less than 45 linear inches -- allowable even if the bag exceeds the sizer by a small bit on one side.
Except they haven't made such representations as you put it for some years now.

The statements to be found in any of the commonly accessible areas have included the individual dimensions for some time now so nobody using ordinary and reasonable diligence could fail to be aware of the limits.

You appear to have found a few places where this is not the case, but that does not alter the fact that AA have made the intended limits clear and easy to find, finding somewhere that doesn't mention them appears to take rather more effort though ...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:22 pm

FAs need to be more proactive about shuffling bags to fit more efficiently, removing smaller items and telling the owner to stick it under the seat, etc. Bag sizer totalitarianism just alienates customers.
Expecting the crew to play luggage Tetris while the aisle is full of people trying to get to their seats is unlikely to yield much of an improvement, especially as they will not move or lift a bag for understandable health reasons.

If the bags are all inside the limit then there is no need for any of this.

I, and from the comments on this thread, some others around here do not regard this as 'totalitarianism' but merely correct enforcement of rules that many (most?) have no problem following.

For four years there have been no changes in the dimensions of the allowable bag size, yet still people are trying to slide past a rule they are all very much aware of ...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Except they haven't made such representations as you put it for some years now.
On the contrary; AA has in recent times too.

I find it cute that some may think AA makes things clear about cabin bag allowances even as AA makes inconsistent representations about something which should be relatively simple: the 45 linear inches rule.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 11, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.