Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA miles on Emirates and other airlines via Qantas codeshare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
N. B. Earning AAdvantage miles flying on EY and other non-oneworld operated flights as a QANTAS codeshare / marketed flight is an exception to oneworld rules that essentially state that to earn miles one must fly a oneworld marketed flight operated by a oneworld airline. See post #4 for more.

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Exception for Jetstar operated flights which are ineligible. Link.

Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route
  • Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

To reiterate: one may earn AAdvantage miles flying an Emirates (or Air Fiji, Air Tahiti Nui, etc.) operated flight if it is marketed by QANTAS / a Qantas codeshare.

Exceptions to the exception
Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.
Print Wikipost

Earning AA miles on Emirates and other airlines via Qantas codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:47 am

Flying EK with QF code - can I earn AA miles?

I did a search but was concerned about the changes posted 8/1.
Is it still possible to buy an "A" class ticket on this route on with all QF flight numbers on a ticket issued by QF (081)?

It used to be possible but I want to make sure I can still do it. Advantage customer service is confused.

This is the only excepiont page under Qantas on AA.COM.
Exceptions

Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any Elite Qualifying Credits or award miles.

Earn miles

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas codeshare flights:

QF8072A CDGDXB 1120A 755P *
OPERATED BY EMIRATES AIRLINES
QF8414A DXBSYD 150A 1030P *

QF8415A SYDDXB 600A 120P *
QF8075A DXBCDG 250P 805P *
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Are you proposing to fly one of those documented exceptions?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chuck1
I did a search but was concerned about the changes posted 8/1.
Is it still possible to buy an "A" class ticket on this route on with all QF flight numbers on a ticket issued by QF (081)?

It used to be possible but I want to make sure I can still do it. Advantage customer service is confused.

This is the only excepiont page under Qantas on AA.COM.
Exceptions

Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any Elite Qualifying Credits or award miles.

Earn miles

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas codeshare flights:

QF8072A CDGDXB 1120A 755P *
QF8414A DXBSYD 150A 1030P *

QF8415A SYDDXB 600A 120P *
QF8075A DXBCDG 250P 805P *
Your post is really confusing as it intentionally makes it appear those flights are listed on a AA.com page in some way

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Are you proposing to fly one of those documented exceptions?
see above
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...deshare-2.html
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Exactly
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:21 pm

Sorry - mods - please transfer this post to wiki.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Sorry - mods - please transfer this post to wiki.
That's pretty confusing too.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's pretty confusing too.
If it's confusing, Wikiposts are community property and easy to edit or update.

Dave Noble seems to address this oft-asked question in post 23. Of course, flying QF one should review what gets earned (or not) by fare class.

It does seem to be one of those weird exceptions to oneworld, like some JL flights.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 1, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
If it's confusing, Wikiposts are community property and easy to edit or update.
What I meant was "Sorry - mods - please transfer this post to wiki." was confusing. As in, why?

Personally, I'd say the best and most authoritative answer was this one:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22938131-post4.html
(but I'm prejudiced )

JL is the same, all codeshares count.

Last edited by JonNYC; Sep 1, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:30 pm

Thanks you for the advice. Do we have any reason to believe this will change in 2017?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Thanks you for the advice. Do we have any reason to believe this will change in 2017?
None that come to mind.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The chart on AA.com has not been updated yet, but it's been confirmed by AA; any QF #'d flight operated by EK -will- earn full AAdv miles-- including EQM and EQPs-- as long as it's booked under the QF flight number and the fare class qualifies per the AA QF earning chart.

This is -not- the case for all OneWorld partners, but it is the case for QF-- doesn't have to be operated by OneWorld as long as it's booked as a QF flight number.
I'm reading this 2 yrs after you've posted that and absolutely stoked I can credit EK operated QF flight # (bought from QF) to AA. I have somewhere to put my QF overflow now - YES!!!

Not aiming for status on AA, just hoarding the points there for a reward in the future.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I'm reading this 2 yrs after you've posted that and absolutely stoked I can credit EK operated QF flight # (bought from QF) to AA. I have somewhere to put my QF overflow now - YES!!!

Not aiming for status on AA, just hoarding the points there for a reward in the future.
I definitely hear from people on an almost monthly basis who are shocked this works-- glad it worked out for ya! ^
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:12 pm

As far as I can tell QF codeshares on EK are only Australia to DXB and DXB to Europe. Is there a way to find a full list of codeshares?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
As far as I can tell QF codeshares on EK are only Australia to DXB and DXB to Europe. Is there a way to find a full list of codeshares?
Not easy

The QF pdf timetable has the codeshare EK flight number, but not practical to search.
Many flights ex Dubai are listed. Like Athens EK8105* [*=indicates a codeshare flight operated by another carrier and a QF flight number]

If you know the EK flight number www.flightstats.com does list the codeshare on that particular flight. Again not easy.

A job for a real travel agent maybe.

EK & QF also codeshare Australia - New Zealand and DXB to/from some places in Africa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.