Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA miles on Emirates and other airlines via Qantas codeshare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
N. B. Earning AAdvantage miles flying on EY and other non-oneworld operated flights as a QANTAS codeshare / marketed flight is an exception to oneworld rules that essentially state that to earn miles one must fly a oneworld marketed flight operated by a oneworld airline. See post #4 for more.

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Exception for Jetstar operated flights which are ineligible. Link.

Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route
  • Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

To reiterate: one may earn AAdvantage miles flying an Emirates (or Air Fiji, Air Tahiti Nui, etc.) operated flight if it is marketed by QANTAS / a Qantas codeshare.

Exceptions to the exception
Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.
Print Wikipost

Earning AA miles on Emirates and other airlines via Qantas codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:58 am
Suspended

The answer is yes.

See my post no. 4.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 2015 at 8:18 am Reason: Redacted link back to this thread
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thread retitled, wiki added, as this is definitely a "yes" and applies to other Qantas codeshares operated by such non-oneworld airlines as Air Fiji, etc. as explained in post #4.

(This is an exception to oneworld mileage earning rules that say one must fly a oneworld codeshare operated by a oneworld airline to earn miles.)

/Moderator
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thread retitled, wiki added, as this is definitely a "yes" and applies to other Qantas codeshares operated by such non-oneworld airlines as Air Fiji, etc. as explained in post #4.

(This is an exception to oneworld mileage earning rules that say one must fly a oneworld codeshare operated by a oneworld airline to earn miles.)

/Moderator
Just as a note, the only exception is for Jetstar operated flights.

Exceptions
Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by nux
Wouldn't that be yes?

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp
Yep, seems I was wrong. I checked the chart and did not read it as meaning all QF-marketed flights, but that seems to be the consensus on the thread.

Oddly, if the exception about not earning miles on Qantas-marketed, Jetstar-operated flights is correct, that means the only QF-coded flights you wouldn't earn miles on are the ones operated by their subsidiary.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nux

Exceptions
Originally Posted by jordyn
...Oddly, if the exception about not earning miles on Qantas-marketed, Jetstar-operated flights is correct, that means the only QF-coded flights you wouldn't earn miles on are the ones operated by their subsidiary.
Yes, good point-- definitely still the case.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nux

Exceptions

Originally Posted by jordyn
Yep, seems I was wrong. I checked the chart and did not read it as meaning all QF-marketed flights, but that seems to be the consensus on the thread.

Oddly, if the exception about not earning miles on Qantas-marketed, Jetstar-operated flights is correct, that means the only QF-coded flights you wouldn't earn miles on are the ones operated by their subsidiary.
True enough. This has happened to me (the only QF operated QF marketed flights CNS-SYD are in the afternoon), though I was prepared to not earn AA miles on that flight). I'd forgotten that, but thanks to nux for adding that important bit to the wiki.

OTOH, much greater legroom for some seats than QF.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, QF PL
Hello,

Does anybody have experience with QF flights operated by Emirates counting towards AA Status Challenge (Sept 2015), as described in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...argeted-2.html
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zio23q
Hello,

Does anybody have experience with QF flights operated by Emirates counting towards AA Status Challenge (Sept 2015), as described in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...argeted-2.html
As long as you fly on an eligible Qantas flight, it will count towards the challenge. Whether a codeshare or not doesn't impact it
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:08 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer when running a few searches.

The consensus on this board seems to be that all QF marketed flights, even operated by EK, would earn EQM. However, there is indicated "on eligible routes" and these are defined as being:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qantas within and between:

Australia
New Zealand
South Pacific
And between the South Pacific and:

U.S.
Asia
Africa
Europe

So what about QF marketed and EK operated LON-DXB? Afaik there is no trace about a route Europe-Middle East?

And would it make any difference to just book it as QF marketed and operated (afaik there is a QF operated one).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Epicura
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer when running a few searches.

The consensus on this board seems to be that all QF marketed flights, even operated by EK, would earn EQM. However, there is indicated "on eligible routes" and these are defined as being:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qantas within and between:

Australia
New Zealand
South Pacific
And between the South Pacific and:

U.S.
Asia
Africa
Europe

So what about QF marketed and EK operated LON-DXB? Afaik there is no trace about a route Europe-Middle East?

And would it make any difference to just book it as QF marketed and operated (afaik there is a QF operated one).
Either should earn (QF operated or EK operated-- as long as QF #'d) but, if you have -any- doubts, QF operated could be considered slightly "safer" (certain to earn.)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:47 am

Ok thank you!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:19 am

I will begin with a moment of silence for all of the dead horses which have been beaten as a result of this thread..............thank you.

I received a reply from AA's Twitter team stating that:

"@Brinks101 Travel on QF marketed flights operated by Emirates wouldn't earn EQMs, either. See http://bit.ly/ACCRUEQF for more info."

Is this another instance of FT knowing better than AA employees or has something changed? I am looking to book LHR-DXB-SYD in Biz and want to make sure I don't miss out on the EQMs. My corporate booking engine is forcing QF LHR-DXB and EY DXB-SYD, and of course would prefer the EY seat/experience/etc. if possible.

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brinks101
...Is this another instance of FT knowing better than AA employees or has something changed? I am looking to book LHR-DXB-SYD in Biz and want to make sure I don't miss out on the EQMs. My corporate booking engine is forcing QF LHR-DXB and EY DXB-SYD, and of course would prefer the EY seat/experience/etc. if possible.

Thanks!

Short answer is, yes.

However, I don't blame you at all for having trepidation since it's hard to get the correct answer. Them sending you a link to AA.com shows they didn't put any time into getting a real answer-- not surprisingly to a degree since one might *assume* AA.com has accurate, up-to-date info, haha.

If you take it to DM with them, I'll PM you the name of an AA person who has definitively confirmed this information and also PM you the names of people at AA social media who will understand you're serious about getting a real answer.

(and, you mean EK not EY)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:19 am

Thanks JonNYC! Amazingly I received a follow up response, unprompted, from the @AmericanAir team later that day confirming what you said. Not sure if you had anything to do with that. Will let you know if I need those AA contacts another time.

Thanks again!

(yikes, please excuse my EK/EY snafu and appreciate you holding off burning the newbie for it)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brinks101
Thanks JonNYC! Amazingly I received a follow up response, unprompted, from the @AmericanAir team later that day confirming what you said. Not sure if you had anything to do with that.
Very glad it worked out! I'm sure you posting it here had them scrambling to make sure the incorrect answer was corrected, good on them for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.