Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA lounge at PHL denies access to AA Elites / Premium Flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lounge at PHL denies access to AA Elites / Premium Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have OWS LT status from Qantas

I think that AC lounges ( and domestic lounges of US carriers in general ) are generally cruddy and could be greatly improved but afaik there is no min lounge benefit defined and even if there were no free drinks , would have trouble seeing that it failed to meet the requirements
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
The other airlines aren't relevant to OneWorld. The policy of AA has always been to compensate for the fact that it's clubs are below int'l biz class standard by giving out drink chits for premium booze...above well drinks. That should still be the policy. It's not complicated and otherwise obvious to most.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by nologic
The other airlines aren't relevant to OneWorld. The policy of AA has always been to compensate for the fact that it's clubs are below int'l biz class standard by giving out drink chits for premium booze...above well drinks. That should still be the policy. It's not complicated and otherwise obvious to most.
But, its not so move on.

This thread has gone WAY beyond the stated title topic.

Maybe its time to close it down so you can discuss the merits of the AC's free booze in regards to an non-existent OW "standard."
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
I think it's important to remember that ACs are domestic lounges. Go see JAL's domestic lounges and it may be grounding a bit for context. Despite having one of the BEST F lounges in OW - JALs domestic lounges are very much like ACs. Domestic lounges aren't expected to be that great anyway.

Also - ACs outside the US tend to be fairly nice and I'd say have a better food and drink selection than the ones in the US. The AC in NRT is actually a very nice lounge aesthetically and in a few places AA does have F lounges which have considerably better offerings than ACs - though still not to the level of JAL, CX, or BA.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Denied today...although the dragon said I can come back at 540, so I'll see if that works.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Denied today...although the dragon said I can come back at 540, so I'll see if that works.
Were you departing on a longhaul international flight on a oneworld airline with appropriate class of service on oneworld Sapphire or Emerald?
Old May 24, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by JDiver
Were you departing on a longhaul international flight on a oneworld airline with appropriate class of service on oneworld Sapphire or Emerald?
I think...ExecPlat travelling to Rome on USAirways...
Old May 24, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by gooseman13
I think...ExecPlat travelling to Rome on USAirways...
Curious: did she offer a reason for denial? E.g. "After 5:40" implies a departure of a flight that might empty the lounge. oneworld lounge agents can (and do) use the "capacity argument" to deny access. To wit:

• Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.
Link
OTOH, if she said something like "you need to be flying on BA or QR" that would be an exception to oneworld lounge access rules IMO worth complaining about.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by nologic
This is like if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck.

The QF clubs are superior clubs, paid or not. The AA clubs don't meet the standard of an international business class lounge. They know it and that's why they provided the drink chits. Now, they seemto be ducking under cover and saying: sue me, because we are going to not provide reasonably reciprocal product or an international business class lounge experience, and we don't care. Shove it up ur whatsis. But thanks for providing a nicer biz class experience for our AA elite members.

Btw, most ppl on this board are not OW int'l elites, and don't qualify for drink chits, so I don't expect much empathy here. I have both, and one of the reasons I earned an int'l OW Sapphire status was for AC benefits, which should include customary int'l biz class benefits.
None of that is accurate, and it is also dilatory to the topic.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Curious: did she offer a reason for denial? E.g. "After 5:40" implies a departure of a flight that might empty the lounge. oneworld lounge agents can (and do) use the "capacity argument" to deny access.
BA 66 currently leaves at 6:10pm, and the lounge can get very busy before it leaves, especially if you arrive between around 4:30-5:00. Most folks head to the BA gate (A17, about a 5 min walk) by 5:30 for boarding. The BA lounge then gets busier a few hours later in advance of BA 68's 10pm departure.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
BA 66 currently leaves at 6:10pm, and the lounge can get very busy before it leaves, especially if you arrive between around 4:30-5:00. Most folks head to the BA gate (A17, about a 5 min walk) by 5:30 for boarding. The BA lounge then gets busier a few hours later in advance of BA 68's 10pm departure.
They can legitimately use the oneworld lounge capacity clause and say "no".

• Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: WFBF
I think most people are aware of that. The complaint is that the BA lounge in PHL seems to operate on a policy of "if we're open, it's a peak time and we'll deny OW elites".
Old May 24, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
That's interesting to know that such a clause exists. I've been denied at PHL on the basis of capacity, but I always figured that it was some airport-specific policy.

They have always offered me access at a later time (usually after the first flight's departure), and they don't run me out if my flight is seriously delayed and the lounge is starting to fill up again for the 22:00 departure. It's good to know that they're not trying (at least overtly) to sidestep oneworld procedures.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
I think most people are aware of that. The complaint is that the BA lounge in PHL seems to operate on a policy of "if we're open, it's a peak time and we'll deny OW elites".
It's using one rule to evade another rule.

A few lounges are notorious for doing this, and this is one of them.

Another used to be the HND International JAL First Lounge - for a long time, they routinely barred all oneworld Emeralds from using the lounge unless they were departing on JL metal. This has been resolved now.

They got into some trouble, I suspect, because rather than quote the capacity clause they told people to their face they needed to be departing on JL and AA didn't count. Oopsy! (They incurred some wrath and heat from non-Japanese Emeralds, some in AA F, who didn't know about "losing face" and unspoken behavioral rules about not becoming loud and obstreperous; I saw a couple of livid American pax doing so - we were darting on JL, so we're admitted.)
Old May 26, 2015, 2:39 am

Yes, she said it was a capacity issue. I got there five minutes after three and it was quite empty. I offered to leave by 4 but no go. I never did make it back at 540 to check if she'd let me in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.