Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Credit Cards: Which? What? How? etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AAdvantage Credit Cards: Which? What? How? etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
And remember, the miles will all merge and become AA miles in March; when, exactly, in March no one has said yet.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by cjw5110
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum... couldn't figure out a better place!

So I currently hold the US Airways Barclaycard Mastercard and am quite happy with it. I am planning to redeem my miles for a roundtrip to the Caribbean next October. As of now, I have just under 75,000 miles and will likely have just shy of 85,000 by the time I book (likely in March or April).

I am considering picking up the AA Citi credit card and getting the 50,000 bonus after 3 months / $3k in spending. With all that in mind, here are my questions...
  1. What is going to happen to my US Airways Mastercard once the programs merge? Will it get converted to a Citi AAdvantage card?
  2. If I wait until I get the additional 50,000 miles AND for the programs to combine, I should be able to get first class roundtrip tickets (looks like for first class, it's 30k per ticket, so with 135k miles, that should cover two first class roundtrips). Is there much risk to that strategy? Namely, is it likely that award trips will be all but gone by the time those miles get credited to me?
  3. Ultimately, do you think it's worthwhile to apply for the Citi AAdvantage card? I will probably take advantage of the first year without a fee and then cancel.

Thanks!
2) 50k miles are worth having. What you use them for and when is another matter unless you are committed to using them for a specific trip.

3) Yes. I did the same in response to a similar offer with the same intention two years ago. When I phoned to cancel after a year, I was offered the option of renewing for a further year, paying the fee but receiving a credit for the same amount toward future purchases and double mileage credit if I spent a certain amount ($750, I think) each month of the next year. I've accepted that offer, but plan to cancel unless I receive a similar offer next year. Nothing to lose.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
That said, assuming it's a good deal, you still have to have to factor in the risk. You're giving AA a bunch of non-refundable money now, and they are not promising you anything. Other airlines have been devaluing their miles lately and there is a chance that AA will follow suit. You also may want to consider the possibility that prices could drop since rapidly falling fuel prices could trigger a fare war.
you make a good point, I'm not actually pre-paying for travel, I'm just sort of pre-paying for travel with no protection for me in case they change the rules.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:54 pm

Since I'm not sure where to post this I will try in here and if need be make my own thread.

I have the Citi AAdvantage World MC Platinum Level which looks like this

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/de...ard_901030.jpg

Stupid question, but how do I get free checked bags with this? Can I get 1 for me and 1 for a traveler to Cancun from Chicago? Do I just show my credit card at the airport? I know this is pretty dumb, but I usually get free checked bags internationally without any credit cards.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ullr
Seeing this offer: https://buymiles.aa.com/en/buygift/info

If I were to open a new AA Advantage Card ($95 fee version) I would get 50k miles upon meeting the minimum spend of $3k.

If I bought the max miles, 80k + 45k bonus for $2360 using this new card, then spent the additional $640, I would end with ~175k miles for $3000 These miles represent 5 first class lower 48 MilesSaaver tickets, which seem to have a normal cost of about $4600 for the flight I'm taking next year with the family.

What am I missing here? It seems like a simple way to 'pre-pay' for travel I know I'll be buying anyway and save about $1500. I am new at this so I am seeking your feedback.
1. No guarantee you are going to get the seats at the Milesaver rates
2. When you fly on award, you are not earning credit toward status, or credit toward 500 mile upgrades, or redeemable miles. For example, I can get a round trip to Europe for 40K miles.
3. I would consider each deal separately.
The 50K from the card comes no matter what you spend the $3k on.
You have noted you would get 175K miles for $3000. You would actually get the miles for $2360, The other $640 could have been spent on stuff you would normally buy. You are actually getting 125000 miles for about $2360
The other 50k are basically free.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by iliketurtles
Since I'm not sure where to post this I will try in here and if need be make my own thread.

I have the Citi AAdvantage World MC Platinum Level which looks like this

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/de...ard_901030.jpg

Stupid question, but how do I get free checked bags with this? Can I get 1 for me and 1 for a traveler to Cancun from Chicago? Do I just show my credit card at the airport? I know this is pretty dumb, but I usually get free checked bags internationally without any credit cards.
Your AAdvantage account will reflect your a cardholder and automatically provide the benefit. You'll see a $0 cost when you check in the next time you fly.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question How do I tell my AAdvantage Account has a Credit Card with Benefits?

I applied for the USDM Barclay Card last minute and received the bonus and transaction miles on my merged AAdvantage account.

However, I can't figure out how to tell on aa.com if my account is linked to the card and I will get the benefits why I fly. How do I do that?

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
After you login to aa.com, the home page should include a link for Reduced Mileage Awards (one of your Aviator card benefits), about halfway down the page.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it. It shows - although I have no idea what card I have Thanks.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
How to tell whether you have a Card with Benefits? After you take it out to dinner, see whether it invites you home or gets in a cab. Ahahaha sorry I couldn't resist.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now the next step...I booked an Avios reservation for a US operated flight with BA. I then replaced the BAEC# with my AAdvantage number. The reservation shows up fine on my aa.com under my AAdvantage number.

The e-mail I got from the US Website lists the baggage fees. It does not say free. Does it not consider the cardholder status? (I would not be surprised if it does not.)

On the http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...aggagePolicies page, it lists the credit cards with the baggage benefit. My card show US Airways on it, it is a Premier World Mastercard (the $89/year one) from Barclay. It is not listed. On the Barclay website, it does say 1st bag free and the rep confirmed my AAdvantage number is linked.

Does anyone see any problem when I check in? How can I confirm in advance that I will get the benefits?

Thanks.

Last edited by username; May 26, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by username
Now the next step...I booked an Avios reservation for a US operated flight with BA. I then replaced the BAEC# with my AAdvantage number. The reservation shows up fine on my aa.com under my AAdvantage number.

The e-mail I got from the US Website lists the baggage fees. It does not say free. Does it not consider the cardholder status? (I would not be surprised if it does not.)

On the http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...aggagePolicies page, it lists the credit cards with the baggage benefit. My card show US Airways on it, it is a Premier World Mastercard (the $89/year one) from Barclay. It is not listed. On the Barclay website, it does say 1st bag free and the rep confirmed my AAdvantage number is linked.

Does anyone see any problem when I check in? How can I confirm in advance that I will get the benefits?

Thanks.

If they try to charge you for baggage, take the card out and say "nope." If they insist on charging you, ask for a supervisor, or call AA customer service right there in front of them.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did OLCI and it worked - it asked how many bags and the price attached to 1 bag was $0.

TSA PreCheck number had to be manually entered. I guess this is because I manually switched the FFP# on the FinnAir site and the KTN is only populated at PNR creation when it is attached to the FFP#?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
The credit card is tied to your AAdvantage number. As long as your AAdvantage number is in the reservation at least 7 days before departure, the benefits should be automatic.

Originally Posted by jsucool76
If they try to charge you for baggage, take the card out and say "nope." If they insist on charging you, ask for a supervisor, or call AA customer service right there in front of them.
Nope. If the frequent flier account doesn't reflect the credit card status, the charge is not waived regardless of who you call.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
The credit card is tied to your AAdvantage number. As long as your AAdvantage number is in the reservation at least 7 days before departure, the benefits should be automatic.
Where does the 7 day come from? In my case, I booked the reservation 4 days before departure, started with a BAEC # and then changed it to my AAdvantage number. It worked fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.