Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Best time for upgrade on Wed/Thu for LAX-JFK/JFK-LAX

Hey guys, any tips on what time frame has the highest chance for upgrade. I'm looking to fly JFK-LAX on Wed/Thu and LAX-JFK either on Sunday/Monday.

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by kalbear
Hey guys, any tips on what time frame has the highest chance for upgrade. I'm looking to fly JFK-LAX on Wed/Thu and LAX-JFK either on Sunday/Monday.

Thanks!
JFK-LAX 9pm or later, easy upgrade.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by hiima
JFK-LAX 9pm or later, easy upgrade.
Agreed. For what it's worth, I've never not cleared a complimentary upgrade on the 10pm/10:15pm JFK-LAX flight (of course, you're arriving at 2am, so you need to weigh that into your decision). Midweek, I've also found the 6am JFK-LAX flight to be fairly easy.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm booked on JFK to LAX roundtrip on a D fare this weekend and would like to upgrade to first on at least one leg just to try the product. I called to upgrade with miles, and I was put on the waitlist. ExpertFlyer says there is no "A" availability on my flights, but there are currently open seats. Does American add A inventory to these flights as they get closer, or are I out of luck? There are F seats available for purchase on these flights.
I've had a couple SWU's waitlisted this month (on JFK-SFO). Both times they cleared about 25 hours out... I notice sometimes they hold F seats either to sell (obviously ) or for crew mates dead heading...

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by msv777
I've had a couple SWU's waitlisted this month (on JFK-SFO). Both times they cleared about 25 hours out... I notice sometimes they hold F seats either to sell (obviously ) or for crew mates dead heading...

Cheers.
I don't think crew gets priority though for upgrades... They only get seated in J/F if all UPGs have been processed... Then military UPGs are processed after crew / employees...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by kalbear

Thanks!
I'd venture to say the 4:30p departure out of LA that arrives around 1a in JFK you'd have good chances.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Agreed. For what it's worth, I've never not cleared a complimentary upgrade on the 10pm/10:15pm JFK-LAX flight (of course, you're arriving at 2am, so you need to weigh that into your decision). Midweek, I've also found the 6am JFK-LAX flight to be fairly easy.

-FlyerBeek
Thanks guys. Will try to book those suggested times.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador
I am thinking of booking 10pm LAX-JFK redeye on a Friday. As an EXP booking at 7weeks out any experience with upgrades on this flight? My other options are the 4:30 or the 9pm still leaving on that Friday.

My inkling is I'll probably be sitting in back on all of those flights leaving at the end of the week. :/
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by joeypore
I'd venture to say the 4:30p departure out of LA that arrives around 1a in JFK you'd have good chances.
You would think but I keep striking out on this flight.....even when #1 on the UPG list.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
You would think but I keep striking out on this flight.....even when #1 on the UPG list.
I'm on this flight this upcoming Tuesday, and it is sold out in J already

The 2:30 PM flight looks less crowded, and I may try to SDC or standby on that flight if I am done with my stuff by then
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm on this flight this upcoming Tuesday, and it is sold out in J already

The 2:30 PM flight looks less crowded, and I may try to SDC or standby on that flight if I am done with my stuff by then
Yea last time I tried this flight it was totally sold out but like 12 people cleared the upgrade on the 1130am earlier in the day.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Actually, those points are related. When a corporate traveler calls the travel agent to change the flight because s/he's running early or late, they'll often just change the reservation and not put through a seat assignment.

And then there are just those situations where there's no good reason why the seat map seems so off. I was flying JFK-LHR the day after Xmas, and flight was completely sold out (per EF) at least a week in advance. Yet there were probably dozens of unassigned (non-premium/non-MCE) seats in Y (and ~10 in J). I believe Y was oversold, and there were op-ups to J, but I could never figure out why all those people couldn't assign seats in Y.
It doesn't apply quite here, but AA will soon begin selling basic economy fares that don't permit a seat assignment until check-in unless you pay up.

Another situation is that when there have been IRROPs on a larger scale, they may zero out fare classes proactively to avoid selling seats they need to clear out the passenger backlog. This is another time you may see open seats but nothing for sale.

In other words, there are lots of reasons that seats are open on the map when the reservation system won't sell any tickets in the cabin.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by jaherer1
This is my first post, but wanted to contribute since I've learned a lot from this forum the past year. I flew AA flight #118 this past Sunday (7AM), LAX to JFK. I made EXP this past October, and this was my first transcon A321T flight with AA.

I dont have EF, but when I checked the AA website for open J seats, there seemed to be 4 open, and another 4 open in F. I was #1 out of 16 on the upgrade list, up until 1 minute before boarding, and then got bumped down to #2. Unfortunately, only 2 people were upgraded (the person that bumped me from the top, as well as #16). Obviously I was not happy with the results, but I'm not sure how the last person on the upgrade list got upgraded (perhaps SWU?).
My guess would be that number 16 was a J to F upgrade (perhaps SWU waitlist as part of a longer itinerary or someone burning one that was about to expire). The order of the list on our app and the gate screens is imperfect as there are factors the GA can see that affect the true order. If #16 was a J to F upgrade, that opened up the one seat that #1 needed for their upgrade.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by strikerr
I am thinking of booking 10pm LAX-JFK redeye on a Friday. As an EXP booking at 7weeks out any experience with upgrades on this flight? My other options are the 4:30 or the 9pm still leaving on that Friday.

My inkling is I'll probably be sitting in back on all of those flights leaving at the end of the week. :/
This red-eye upgrade is one of the hardest in the system on any day of the week, because the J cabin affords an actual opportunity to sleep. I got one on a Saturday night once, just before boarding.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I'm taking 0028 leaves 10:45 pm Wednesday May 24. I booked myself through AMEX plat as it saved $150 vs AA and is refundable. Business. I booked wife with miles, 57.5k so don't feel too bad about that, given its saver and we gain a lot on red eye vs next day as FINAL destination is YUL. Business trip for me and will need the MQMs to maintain status.

Do options exist to upgrade to first on points for both of us? I'm just Gold so I'd need to purchase how many certs to upgrade? She has no status so Probably makes no sense to go that way. Sorry, my flights are normally in western half of nation, newbie to this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.