Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-01-31-LATAM-to-leave-oneworld-effective-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:08 am

Any recent info on this? Starting to brainstorm trips for end of 2015 already, and given that AA awards to SA are pretty much nonexistent, if LAN/TAM are locked out still then SA would be off the table. I'm certainly not finding anything US to SA on BA.com.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:44 am
Formerly known as jlars77

I had looked a bit for options to LIM, and the only I could find in J were ex-MIA (and often routing through BOG). It appears Y space has more much more availability on LAN (not sure what class you were looking for).

Ultimately it made much more sense for me to buy a revenue ticket on another carrier and save my miles for an Asia award.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Look around. I booked milesaaver Y to SCL for November without much difficulty. There was availability elsewhere in SA as well.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Awards to LIM and SCL on LA metal have decent availability. 4M (LAN Argentina) is unfindable by AA reps for awards - they see the flight but can't see the low level award LAN offers on the site.

I saw BA displaying AEP - BRC for a little but then those disappeared. BA also had some SCL - EZE awards but those too are gone. BA isn't even showing SCL - IPC now.

Quite painful. Anyone else have luck with domestic/intra-South America awards? Longhaul awards in Y and J seem quite open to everywhere but EZE.

Also note that you cannot do one-award on AA Miles to route USA - LIM/BOG - SCL/EZE. Ends up pricing as two awards.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
Longhaul awards in Y and J seem quite open to everywhere but EZE.
Can you give an example of a longhaul route with Y or J availability? I cannot find one on BA.com.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Can you give an example of a longhaul route with Y or J availability? I cannot find one on BA.com.
Sure. I agree with you that it's a pain. Here are a few:

Nov 18, 2015 / MIA - SCL
LA 501 (7 Y award seats, 4 J award seats)
LA 503 (7 Y award seats, 1 J award seat)
[note AA 225 also has 7 Y award seats available on BA.com]
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
I experienced this last week using ba.com. I was trying to put an itn together with gru to mvd and then mvd to gru to jfk,, all on tam. For several hours while i was putting things together with the missus, the flights were showing lots of seats and multiple options. When i went to book, poof everything gone for months on end. Called the exp desk and she said nothing is coming up for months. I waited a few hours and then everything came back and i called back and booked it. This was the middle of the night brazil time, so i figured it was a system update.

In the end I got two seats in y gru to mvd and three seats in j mvd to gru to jfk using aa miles. These are for flights leaving first week of feb 2015. I tried to book the gru to mvd with avios to save points but the website kept erroring out at the ticketing stage (after the cc payment, passenger info,etc.) so i figured i had better grab the y seats while I could with aa miles. Revenue for that route was $600 a piece in y one way, $350 rt
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:58 am

Sure. I agree with you that it's a pain. Here are a few:

Nov 18, 2015 / MIA - SCL
LA 501 (7 Y award seats, 4 J award seats)
LA 503 (7 Y award seats, 1 J award seat)
[note AA 225 also has 7 Y award seats available on BA.com]
Thanks; will keep on trying...

EDIT: (Upon said trying)...Wow, I think you must have lucked out on timing to search right when an availability dump occurred. Searching routes and dates (including the one you mention) which previously yielded nothing are now giving all sorts of results.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:16 am
Suspended

...Searching routes and dates (including the one you mention) which previously yielded nothing are now giving all sorts of results.
Good to hear.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:46 am

Thanks; will keep on trying...

EDIT: (Upon said trying)...Wow, I think you must have lucked out on timing to search right when an availability dump occurred. Searching routes and dates (including the one you mention) which previously yielded nothing are now giving all sorts of results.
Any luck finding SCL - IPC or EZE - FTE? I'm not seeing anything.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:31 am

Any luck finding SCL - IPC or EZE - FTE? I'm not seeing anything.
I didn't search any of those routes. I was just looking for US-SA. I'm continental US based so if I can't get to SA to begin with than the discussion is over for me!

What I would say is that it seems like a lot of things have been hit-and-miss and come-and-go, so keep checking, but don't assume anything.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I can't get any LAN flights to pull up via BA or AA these days? Last week, they were all over the Avios redemption calendar, now nada!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I can't get any LAN flights to pull up via BA or AA these days? Last week, they were all over the Avios redemption calendar, now nada!
Yep, it's been flipping back and forth. Here today, gone tomorrow.

EDIT 2:45 ET: JAL space looks like it's gone from BA.com too. So maybe a BA issue, or a general back-end issue across shared platforms?

Last edited by arlflyer; Jan 16, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw one LAX-EZE business award ticket on LAN on my outbound date on ba.com and awardnexus.com, and four available on my return date. (These were dates near end of schedule.) This is a single "direct" flight number (LA 2604 one way, LA 2605 the other way), but it makes a stop (and may even change planes?) in LIM.

I have both plenty AA miles and more than enough BA Avios. But BA Avios was charging 60k each way, so I decided to call AA to see if I could book with AA, because the AA chart shows it's 50k each way in business from North America to Zone 2 South America (Zone 2 including Argentina).

First of all, the AA agent couldn't see the outbound, but could see the return (and could see that 4 were available). So quite inconsistent visibility of LAN inventory!

But then the agent said that I could have my award put on hold for the return (to see if the outbound would show as available later), and that it would be 62.5k miles just for the return in business. Say what? (That sounded more like a first class award, but I know LAN doesn't have first class on that flight.)

The agent went off and talked to other people in some other department for about 10 minutes, several times, and finally came back and said that it would be 50k if I connected in Brazil but that Peru is not a valid connection point (per AA) for an LAX-EZE route, and that's why it's 62.5k each way rather than 50k (even though it's officially a direct flight, they look at the stopover as a connection).

Huh?

Anyway, I said thank you but no to the AA agent (especially since AA couldn't see the one remaining outbound seat and there was no guarantee that they would ever see it before it went away) and hung up. And since I had more than enough Avios, I just went back to ba.com and booked it with my Avios (which had no problem booking the outbound that AA couldn't see).

This is really annoying: AA has no availability in any months (beyond a few days out) for LAX-EZE on its own metal, and the only metal it theoretically has it available on is LAN, but then (a) can't interface to LAN correctly, and (b) has bizarre miles pricing rules for LAN's actual flights LAX-EZE.

... Is there anyplace online where these bizarre AA routing rules for awards are documented?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But then the agent said that I could have my award put on hold for the return (to see if the outbound would show as available later), and that it would be 62.5k miles just for the return in business. Say what? (That sounded more like a first class award, but I know LAN doesn't have first class on that flight.)

The agent went off and talked to other people in some other department for about 10 minutes, several times, and finally came back and said that it would be 50k if I connected in Brazil but that Peru is not a valid connection point (per AA) for an LAX-EZE route, and that's why it's 62.5k each way rather than 50k (even though it's officially a direct flight, they look at the stopover as a connection).

Huh?
What the agent told you was correct. If you connect or fly on a direct flight to deep South America via northern South America it counts as two awards, thus the higher number of miles. I'm sure that many of us don't like that rule but its the rule never the less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.