Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cross-fleeting begins July 2nd 2014 [limited routes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cross-fleeting begins July 2nd 2014 [limited routes]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Arrow Cross-fleeting begins July 2nd 2014 [limited routes]

Heads up that cross-fleeting begins on 2 July 2014. AA and US will begin taking over certain frequencies from each other on certain routes. In all cases, there will be a mix of both AA and US metal on all these routes:

Charlotte-Chicago O'Hare

Miami-Charlotte
Miami-Detroit
Miami-New Orleans
Miami-Raleigh
Miami-Tampa

Phoenix-Denver
Phoenix-Detroit
Phoenix-Los Angeles
Phoenix-Newark
Phoenix-Orange County
Phoenix-Seattle

Last edited by MAH4546; Apr 7, 2014 at 11:11 am
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I believe this extends to LAX-PHX too, but I would have to double check.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
Can't wait to get the pleasure of a US plane with no MCE.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
A real shame that this is happening before MCE on US metal and reciprocal upgrades.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
How can they start doing this without MCE?

On the bright side, some US planes have great exit row seats that have no seat in front of them (part or all of the row in front is missing).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by nkrijeka
Quite simply - AA drops their (mostly) RJ service and US keeps it's (mostly) mainline service, possibly with upsized equipment or more frequencies. MCE or not, it makes no financial sense to act as competitors on routes. But since AA's RJ's don't have MCE (according to seatguru) it's only a loss of MCE if US mainline replaces AA mainline.

Jim
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold

On the bright side, some US planes have great exit row seats that have no seat in front of them (part or all of the row in front is missing).
I don't see how that would be a problem. It's simply changing the schedule and who flies what route. What does MCE have to do with the ability to fly a plane on a route?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by rriopel432
Can't wait to get the pleasure of a US plane with no MCE.
Originally Posted by SJC AA
A real shame that this is happening before MCE on US metal and reciprocal upgrades.
It's not like they're going to be making equipment swaps the day of travel. If you don't want to fly on US metal on one of these routes, book a different flight that day. The lack of MCE on the seat map should be a pretty easy guide...
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
I see that ORD-CLT is scheduled to be served by both US and AA at 5:59 pm. are they planning on deleting the US route or will they have both flights simultaneously?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:50 am

It's possible that it could be an oversight but the more likely explanation is that it's a business travel heavy flight on both carriers and there's a practical limit on the number of US planes available to substitute for AA planes. The AA flight is an upgrade to a 6:10pm Eagle flight.

Jim
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
It's possible that it could be an oversight but the more likely explanation is that it's a business travel heavy flight on both carriers and there's a practical limit on the number of US planes available to substitute for AA planes. The AA flight is an upgrade to a 6:10pm Eagle flight.

Jim
No, the more likely explanation, and the correct answer, is that there is a slight lag between adding new flights and removing the old flights.

AA is absolutely not flying two CLTORD flights at the same time.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:31 am

Not saying you're wrong, but it must be more than a slight lag - the US site is still showing the double flight.

Jim
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that the AA 738 at 5:59 pm remains, as it's a new addition, and the US metal at the same time is removed from the schedule. Previously, between ORD and CLT, AA was almost entirely ERJ145s with one or two CR7s. Looks like an oversight to me.

I don't see this cross-fleeting as too big a problem as long as it's confined for now to flights in and out of US hubs (PHX, CLT, PHL and DCA). On the other hand, it would be lousy to find a non-MCE US A320 substituted for an AA 738 between, say, ORD/DFW and LAX.

What's the timeline for converting the US fleet to MCE?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I sure hope Doug does a better job of cross fleeting than Jeff did over at UA. Like making sure there are enough spare parts at the new locations.....
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MAH4546
No, the more likely explanation, and the correct answer, is that there is a slight lag between adding new flights and removing the old flights.

AA is absolutely not flying two CLTORD flights at the same time.
Wingtip flights are not unheard of in the airline industry.

UA used to love wingtip flights on hub-to-hub routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.