Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with choosing which FF # to Use

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Help with choosing which FF # to Use

I'm a Platinum with USAir and a Gold with AA. I have a trip coming up booked through AA. It's a code share British Airways flight (two legs to Abu Dhabi from PHL).

Is there an advantage to using my USAir Dividend Miles number versus my AA Advantage number to earn miles? I currently haven't flown AA this year but have 25 segments and 28,000 miles through USAir YTD.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:38 pm

Don't you want to put it on US to avoid breaking up your EQM?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So an AA flight number on a BA aircraft?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Use your US. You would be OneWorld Sapphire that gets you Bus Class lounge access regardless of class flown.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bttc
Don't you want to put it on US to avoid breaking up your EQM?
+1. We're flying US to Europe next month but are putting the miles against our AA FF#s to consolidate our EQM. When talking to a US CSR about changes to our upcoming flights she recommended we pick one program or the other and concentrate our mileage. She felt it wouldn't be until 2015 at the earliest before the two FF programs were truly consolidated.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JBartlow
Use your US. You would be OneWorld Sapphire that gets you Bus Class lounge access regardless of class flown.
If the OP has a status card or other proof of oneworld Sapphire status, it doesn't matter to which program the flights are credited to.

I do think EQ-PQ consolidation is a good idea, and like the US agent previously mentioned, I don't think the full FFP merger will occur until 1/1/15. That's speculation on my part, of course, but it would seem to offer the airline and us some ease and convenience.

(Call me Cassandra, but merging both seamlessly including beginning up status from flights credited to both programs with the smoothest transition from two different software suites... well, COdbaUA showed us it's not always the gleaming perfection they envision.)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

I do believe I want to use my US Air number to maximise in one pregram, yes
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So an AA flight number on a BA aircraft?
Yes, I'm not sure I'm stating it correctly. The flight was booked thru AA. It has an AA flight number. But, the actual airline is BA. I'm thinking that's what is called a codeshare, correct?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBartlow
Right...It looks like I would be able to choose a seat earlier than the 24 hr window also. Not sure about that though.

I currently have a full price economy (world traveler) and the AA website flips me to BA's site to choose seats..I have to pay additional $$ to pick a seat prior to the 24 hr window. The reservation currently has my AA Freq Flyer Number. I'm wondering if I can get it switched, the window for choosing seats will expand.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:38 am

I think you should consider the facebook passport promotion, and use your AA number. It's possible that this flight will count for three of the "fly and earn" stamps, and if you do any flights on US by 5/23, you might be pushing an extra 10000 RDMs.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by ibdoinit
Right...It looks like I would be able to choose a seat earlier than the 24 hr window also. Not sure about that though.

I currently have a full price economy (world traveler) and the AA website flips me to BA's site to choose seats..I have to pay additional $$ to pick a seat prior to the 24 hr window. The reservation currently has my AA Freq Flyer Number. I'm wondering if I can get it switched, the window for choosing seats will expand.
I'm not certain that the BA website will allow you to select seats if your status is with a oneworld member other than BA, but if not you'll be able to do it via the FinnAir website (you don't need to be a member of their programme, just use your record locator and name to access the booking)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
... I don't think the full FFP merger will occur until 1/1/15. That's speculation on my part...
Citibank agrees with you:

... integration of American and USAirways loyalty programs expected in 2015
http://www.citigroup.com/citi/invest...a/p140212a.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.