Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
I can't figure this out. Any ideas? The only option I can find myself is to call and put the F seats on hold, get them firmly on hold, then call AA separately and cancel my current ME-Australia award to have the miles reinstated, and then call back again to have the F hold seats purchased. Obviously, I would lost my Qantas connection to the Barrier Reef, so I would need to decide if it was worth it to me to upgrade and buy the SYD-HTI flight separate. Those of you who are booking via Australia - are the flights actually ticketing?
I held my award through the Australian reservation centre.

Just received the ticketing e-mail 2 hours after requesting ticketing, which was done through the US/Canada reservation centre. So there is no problem with ticketing reservations booked through the Australian call centre! ^
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
OK - good to know. And what would happen if I held these F seats, when I'm ticketed on the same flight/date in J? If i left it too long I know the system would cancel one/both, but do we see any issue if I do this quickly?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would call back - It isn't going to go through at 80k - the agent has made a mistake and as mentioned above , it needs to be 2 awards. The taxes sounds right
Yup, you're right, it's bouncing back. I looked at ticket today and not ticketed yet. Called up AA in US and they say its 100k/person. I'm debating if its fully worth it at 40k more total for 2.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:54 am
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
Originally Posted by tng11

Just received the ticketing e-mail 2 hours after requesting ticketing, which was done through the US/Canada reservation centre. So there is no problem with ticketing reservations booked through the Australian call centre! ^
I called AA USA call centre this morning and they couldn't see it any J. Then called AA Australia and same thing. Finally, I tried AA Singapore and they were able to see J and I was able to hold the award.

Last edited by zh; Nov 20, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
That's all just crazy (calling the different call centers). Hello, AA, it's almost 2016!

I called the Australia call center last night and booked an F award, AUH-IAD. I checked this morning and it had a weird message saying to call AA to pay for my award (though the miles were deducted). I called, and the AAgent said everything was ok and it was in the queue for ticketing. She didn't know why it would say that.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
How far out are you guys booking? For my target dates in later March, I am finding NO availability on AUH-LHR or AUH-NA.

Mark
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lowside67
How far out are you guys booking? For my target dates in later March, I am finding NO availability on AUH-LHR or AUH-NA.

Mark
I just booked mine for the end of May.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG lifeplat, AAEXP, UA1K

Should I be concerned? I booked the ticket through the AUS call center two days ago. It shows up on my AA account, the miles have been deducted, but it shows as "on request"....is there a normal turnaround time or when do I think something is wrong?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by haascc6
Should I be concerned? I booked the ticket through the AUS call center two days ago. It shows up on my AA account, the miles have been deducted, but it shows as "on request"....is there a normal turnaround time or when do I think something is wrong?
If it was 48 hours or more ago, definitely call back.

The timeframe for award issuance which is given by the Australian office is 24-48 hours for ticketing new award bookings
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by haascc6
I wouldn't be. My travel is coming up in 3 weeks, which might explain why it ticketed quickly.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't be. My travel is coming up in 3 weeks, which might explain why it ticketed quickly.
The Australia office turnaround time is quick and they do even quote 48 hours as the time in which tickets should be issued . I have been doing bookings for September and they have been ticketed in the timescale quoted

If a ticket isnt issued within the timeframe that is quoted, I would be calling back
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by thechosenuno
That's all just crazy (calling the different call centers). Hello, AA, it's almost 2016!

I called the Australia call center last night and booked an F award, AUH-IAD. I checked this morning and it had a weird message saying to call AA to pay for my award (though the miles were deducted). I called, and the AAgent said everything was ok and it was in the queue for ticketing. She didn't know why it would say that.

For people who's miles were taken but it still shows on request. Same thing happened to me, turns out they put the billing country wrong so your credit card hasn't been charged. Call them up to fix it. My ticket was issued 30 mins later after the fix
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by zh
I called AA USA call centre this morning and they couldn't see it any J. Then called AA Australia and same thing. Finally, I tried AA Singapore and they were able to see J and I was able to hold the award.
Calls to Singapore and Australia go to the same call centre (either Japan or Fiji).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
GuestSeats shows seats but AA agent can't see it

Hello,

I am looking to book a flight on March 27th AUH-JFK AA agent (I called twice) doesn't see the space in C even though EY is showing Guest Business available.

Any suggestion?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mikelat
Yup, you're right, it's bouncing back. I looked at ticket today and not ticketed yet. Called up AA in US and they say its 100k/person. I'm debating if its fully worth it at 40k more total for 2.
In this way you should ticket it as two tickets. Then you will pay less APD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.