Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Priority Club PLT
I have been experiencing the same problem with booking EY award ticket through AA miles for the past 4 days. Since I had to make the travel to India soon, I booked the ticket using a different carrier (Jet Airways) who is not a one world partner. If the Etihad problem gets resolved, I would like to change my travel to Etihad instead.

Does anyone have experience in requesting AA to waive the change fees ($150) from one carrier to another?
Old May 29, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Harrii
I have been experiencing the same problem with booking EY award ticket through AA miles for the past 4 days. Since I had to make the travel to India soon, I booked the ticket using a different carrier (Jet Airways) who is not a one world partner. If the Etihad problem gets resolved, I would like to change my travel to Etihad instead.

Does anyone have experience in requesting AA to waive the change fees ($150) from one carrier to another?
As long as your Origin/Destination stays the same and you don't change the departure date within 21 days, you should be okay.

Regardless, my recommendation would be to call and had them add a note to your reservation about technical difficulties booking EY and your intent to switch when it's resolved. This won't guarantee anything, but it will help when/if you call back to change the award.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:20 pm

I am not seeing any "guest' award availability right now for anything in Dec. Is there a problem with the system?
Old May 29, 2014, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I hope EY is not blocking partners ability to book awards... Sabre shows that inventories are open...
Old May 29, 2014, 12:53 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I am not seeing any "guest' award availability right now for anything in Dec. Is there a problem with the system?
Award Availability looks normal, e.g.:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.7/Diamond - Awards/EY]
Code:
AUH  Abu Dhabi Intl AE [OMAA]
JFK  New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
MON  01 Dec 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
EY         101     AUH   10:30     JFK   16:30     77W  0   FS1  CS0  YS3
[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.7/Diamond - Awards/EY]
Code:
JFK  New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
AUH  Abu Dhabi Intl AE [OMAA]
WED  10 Dec 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
EY         100     JFK   21:40     AUH   19:25 +1  77W  0   FS0  CS1  YS2
Old May 29, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k
whew.. I was finally able to book my award flight
Old May 29, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by moarmiles
whew.. I was finally able to book my award flight
I just called they said it's still not fixed?
Old May 29, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Originally Posted by oneworld82
I hope EY is not blocking partners ability to book awards... Sabre shows that inventories are open...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22941855-post70.html
Old May 29, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
I just called they said it's still not fixed?
Weird. Initially, the lady I spoke to wasn't seeing any availability, she told me to hold on a few minutes and then she came back with the good news. Perhaps you just need to try a different agent.

I also went ahead and paid for it as I didn't want to take any more risks..

Old May 29, 2014, 1:54 pm
Suspended

duplicate
Old May 29, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by moarmiles
Weird. Initially, the lady I spoke to wasn't seeing any availability, she told me to hold on a few minutes and then she came back with the good news. Perhaps you just need to try a different agent.

I also went ahead and paid for it as I didn't want to take any more risks..
Tried again, still showing up as codeshare, perhaps it's because I'm looking ex-USA. I'll keep trying today.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Priority Club PLT
As long as your Origin/Destination stays the same and you don't change the departure date within 21 days, you should be okay.

Regardless, my recommendation would be to call and had them add a note to your reservation about technical difficulties booking EY and your intent to switch when it's resolved. This won't guarantee anything, but it will help when/if you call back to change the award.
Thanks. I will try that.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Tried again, still showing up as codeshare, perhaps it's because I'm looking ex-USA. I'll keep trying today.
There's been no follow-up notice to the one I posted above, so, for now, the problem definitely still exists. Maybe some AAgent figured out a work-around or just got lucky somehow.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
As of 9am PT on Friday I am unsuccessful at booking Etihad space. The agent referenced the memo. No ETA on when it will be fixed.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:57 am

i tried it just now. was not able to book it.shows no availability on any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.