Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Heathrow changes? [to accommodate US and AA - maybe summer 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP

Has anyone heard of any plans for a Heathrow changes?

US and AA fly from different terminals, I would assume with the change to Oneworld, AA's terminal will be the keeper, but when will the move be made? Hopefully before US leaves Star Alliance so there will be club access?

Speaking of Star, any idea what will the international bag allowance be? Star Gold/DM Gold and above can check 3 bags for free, Envoy weight allowance is 75 pounds, will this survive the merger?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sally4th
Has anyone heard of any plans for a Heathrow changes?

US and AA fly from different terminals, I would assume with the change to Oneworld, AA's terminal will be the keeper, but when will the move be made? Hopefully before US leaves Star Alliance so there will be club access?

Speaking of Star, any idea what will the international bag allowance be? Star Gold/DM Gold and above can check 3 bags for free, Envoy weight allowance is 75 pounds, will this survive the merger?
Everything is changing at Heathrow starting this summer, so I doubt US will move before then. United is moving from T1 / T4 to T2 and will have its own RCC once again and they are moving as soon as T2 opens. The rest of Star Alliance is moving into T2 over the following months. T1 is closing for renovation once everyone has moved out.

Until US moves (to T2 or T3 depending how easy it is for the plans to be changed) there is a BA lounge in T1 that is much nicer than the Star lounge, so you won't be without lounge access.

The full details of the changes at LHR are in the London destination forum (I think) and on the Heathrow website.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I'm sure US will move to T3. There are just two flights which should be able to easily be absorbed into AA's large operation there. T3 is stretched to the max but there will be some moves out of T3 when T2 opens that will more the compensate for US coming in. I think the only question is when.

My biggest fear, however, is that the BA Lounge in T3 will eventually close sending me back to the CX lounge (Far better than AA but not as good as BA).
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

US Airways is not listed as an airline which will be operating from terminal 2 ( http://www.heathrowairport.com/about...l-be-operating / http://www.heathrowairport.com/fligh.../airline-moves )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 26, 2014 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
When the code-sharing started on trans-Atlantic, AA and BA aligned baggage allowances. I'd guess they want to keep that alignment. So I'd doubt that any US/Star Alliance allowances will be retained, although note that AA/OW do have their own set of entitlements such as an extra piece for OW Emerald.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
There are some Star carriers operating out of T3. So when they move to T2, that should make space for the two US flights at the very minimum.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by jridge
When the code-sharing started on trans-Atlantic, AA and BA aligned baggage allowances. I'd guess they want to keep that alignment. So I'd doubt that any US/Star Alliance allowances will be retained, although note that AA/OW do have their own set of entitlements such as an extra piece for OW Emerald.
Two separate issues here. The Envoy allowance is for J-cabin travel, and that actually is more generous on AA -- three bags up to 70lb, versus two on US for J passengers without status.

Alliance-wise, *G and OW Emerald both get you the same extra baggage benefit -- *G just gets it for many more passengers. So US CP will see no change, but US Gold/Plat will lose benefits traveling internationally.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
T1 is closing for renovation once everyone has moved out
Read: demolition.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
The rest of Star Alliance is moving into T2 over the following months. T1 is closing for renovation once everyone has moved out.
T1 won't be completely empty for a number of years (Till both T5 & T2 expansion projects are complete) and pre-merger, US was not due to move into T2 till at least 2017.

But as said above, the shuffling around of the *A carriers will open a few spots in T3 for US to move in with AA.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'd just like the new AA to get some gates closer to the lounges....I've considered taking provisions on past trips just to get me through the hike!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

A lot of good information, thanks everyone.

I know what you mean, Stripy. I have often wondered if that concourse will eventually be part of T2.

How does T3 compare with T1?

It's going to be interesting for the T1 US employees, there are fewer than 10 of them, well outnumbered by the T3 AA staff.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

I left BA because of their draconian attitude to carry-ons, I think the old coach limit was 1 5 lb bag and PHL GAs used to weigh bags! I'm glad to hear they have "lightened" up.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Stripy
I'd just like the new AA to get some gates closer to the lounges....I've considered taking provisions on past trips just to get me through the hike!
It is a hell of a hike from the Cathay lounge, isn't it?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt

How does T3 compare with T1?
They are fairly similar. T3 has some very long walks but has a much more compact departure lounge, with most things you'd want. T1 feels bigger as there are fewer airlines, no A380s, and a larger departure hall. There is also a shorter walk from the HEX and London Underground to the Terminal. There are good interactive maps on Heathrow's website if you're so inclined:
http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...e/airport-maps
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Stripy
exercise is good for you! (but agreed, the AA gates are waaaay out there!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.