Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I get back expired US miles if I'm an active AA member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Poster

I had 63K US miles expire (I know, I know...). I can pay a $250 fee to reactivate them.

I have an AA credit card, so lots of activity on AA account.

1. Is there a way to get my 63K miles back without paying a $250 fee?

2. Is it worth is to get the miles back now that AA and US have merged? I searched FT just now, but am still unclear on the exact ins and outs of mileage consolidation and use.

I can't remember the last time I flew US, but now that might change...

Thanks for tips, pointers and general thoughts/advice.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KSinNYC
I had 63K US miles expire (I know, I know...). I can pay a $250 fee to reactivate them.

2. Is it worth is to get the miles back now that AA and US have merged? I searched FT just now, but am still unclear on the exact ins and outs of mileage consolidation and use.

1.) The new reciprocal policies have not addressed expired mileage on one airline, but the answer is probably no. You would have to pay for the miles to be reinstated if they were AA miles so I can't imagine they would extend some special benefit to old us miles.

2.) I don't know how awards are priced on US because I've never been a member, but under the new AA the miles will be interchangeable so the answer is yes. 63K miles can get you a roundtrip to almost anywhere AA flies.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: None
1 Almost zero chance

2 that's up to you. Is getting the miles back worth $250 to you?

Jim
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United

AA and US are merging, but the merger is taking place in stages. The FF programs have not been merged, though they will be combined at some point in the future.

In my opinion, 63k miles (= 1 RT to Europe with 3k miles left over) are worth more than $250. But that's for you to judge, depending on what you wish to do with your miles.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I let 40K US Air miles expire a few years ago. All the reactivation windows have passed so the miles are completely gone. I'm still going to merge my accounts whenever the option becomes available in case there's a computer error that puts them back in, but I'm guessing that's very very unlikely.

Lesson learned, just because I knew I would never again fly US Air didn't mean it wouldn't merge with my airline of choice...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I let 40K US Air miles expire a few years ago. All the reactivation windows have passed so the miles are completely gone. I'm still going to merge my accounts whenever the option becomes available in case there's a computer error that puts them back in, but I'm guessing that's very very unlikely.

Lesson learned, just because I knew I would never again fly US Air didn't mean it wouldn't merge with my airline of choice...
I let 1500 miles expire

whodda thunk way back when I did the one trip on US that they'd take over AA
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst

Happened to me too. Never say never.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles Diamond, Alaska 75K, SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond Elite
So similar thing, except I've been buying magazines and all sorts of hijinks to keep my miles active through the years. I tried to give them to a friend/family member, but they were charging roughly $200 to GIVE AWAY 40k miles. I tried to give it to some military folk, but they didn't know how. They refused to keep the miles active unless something was purchased so I ended up getting fed up and just giving the stupid miles away to Make-A-Wish.

This is just a stupid policy. /rant
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
I had more than 400K US Air Dividend miles (I was CP years ago). The miles expired because I have not flown US in years. Once the merger was announced last year, I called US customer service to see if I can get the miles reinstated. Yes, but for a fee of several thousand dollars ($4000 IIRC). I didn't do it as I am 4million plus on AA. But those expired US miles would've gotten me closer to 5 million once both programs merge.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I had more than 400K US Air Dividend miles (I was CP years ago). The miles expired because I have not flown US in years. Once the merger was announced last year, I called US customer service to see if I can get the miles reinstated. Yes, but for a fee of several thousand dollars ($4000 IIRC).
Interesting. I had some 30k miles on US expire years ago; when I called US Customer Service in December and asked about reinstatment, I was simply told "No, too many years have passed" and "Your old US account and account number were deleted a long time ago". I guess YMMV.

Wow! Made 600 posts!

Last edited by relangford; Mar 6, 2014 at 6:29 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: AA,DL
I understand them not wanting to keep accounts on the books that have been inactive and have under 50k miles in them.. but imop anything over 50k they should have a better system of reactivation.

Ive had several orphan accounts with a few miles in them that was to much to keep track of so i just let them go.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

applying for a credit card?

Seems like I can get the miles back if I apply for a US credit card:

http://www.mostmiles.com/us_airways/?campaignId=1894

If I do that, will I get my 63K miles AND the 30K miles bonus?

Seems like a better deal to spend $89 annual fee and get 93K miles, rather than paying $250 to get 63K miles.

Any catches or gotchas, o wise ones?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Seems like I can get the miles back if I apply for a US credit card:

http://www.mostmiles.com/us_airways/?campaignId=1894

If I do that, will I get my 63K miles AND the 30K miles bonus?

Seems like a better deal to spend $89 annual fee and get 93K miles, rather than paying $250 to get 63K miles.

Any catches or gotchas, o wise ones?
Why settle for a 30k bonus, when you can get 40k?? You could also try the 30k + no annual fee, but its a YMMV situation if you aren't already a US preferred member. Read the WIKI for details.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...sary-wiki.html
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
A related issue is getting US flight miles to count toward MM, even if
the miles themselves have expired.

Even though I've flow US Air a number of times, since US joined the Star
Alliance, I credited them toward United. The last times my family
had credits on the US FF program were April 2002, June 2001 and January 2006. I tried to merge the US and AA numbers. I found that I could do
this for the 2006 account (after updating the email to make it match) but
not the other two.

If anyone finds that they will reinstate an old account (without miles
that expired) for the MM total, please post.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Dear OP: You beat me to the punch but, yes, getting the US Air Barclays credit card for $89 is the answer. Your miles get restored after the first statement cycle and you get, as you say, another 50K miles besides.

The card also comes, still, with a 2015 companion pass that's good for two companions at $99 for lower-48 flights on pure US metal. The actual cost, after taxes & fees, is more like $140, but this is a great deal.

I got my 3K forfeited miles back and saved another $700 or so with the pass. As you can tell, I'm kind of a fan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.