Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
When searching on BA website, it doesn't show stop or stops. Just says KTM-HKG & number of Avios requires is same on 4 hour SAT or 6 hour on the other 6 days flight that stops in DAC.
The flight will be the same price - the stop in DAC is irrelevant - the price is simply KTM-HKG.

I appreciate you have a connection out of HKG to the USA. You don't need to be concerned about the stop in DAC, only the final arrival time shown on the KTM-HKG flight. The arrival time is important for your connection.

There looks to be a different flight number for the non-stop as opposed to the direct KA service from KTM. The non-stop is KA103, the one-stop is KA191.

Looking at flightaware, the total flight time is fairly short, KTM-DAC is around 55 minutes, and DAC-HKG is around 3hrs20mins. So the 6 hours contains plenty of time for the total journey.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The flight will be the same price - the stop in DAC is irrelevant - the price is simply KTM-HKG.

I appreciate you have a connection out of HKG to the USA. You don't need to be concerned about the stop in DAC, only the final arrival time shown on the KTM-HKG flight. The arrival time is important for your connection.

There looks to be a different flight number for the non-stop as opposed to the direct KA service from KTM. The non-stop is KA103, the one-stop is KA191.

Looking at flightaware, the total flight time is fairly short, KTM-DAC is around 55 minutes, and DAC-HKG is around 3hrs20mins. So the 6 hours contains plenty of time for the total journey.
i'd prefer the non stop with just over 4 hour. If I arrive in HKG at 5:30 AM, I will have 5 hour for CX to ORD. If for some reason there is a delay and I arrive at 8, I'd still have 3 hour. Much better than the other 6 days flights.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:38 am

You don't!

Cathay Pacific is a partner airline of AA's. So you would ring AA and ask them to book the Cathay flights for you, using your AA miles.
Had a question if you don't mind. Suppose I booked my flights via cathay pacific (KTM - SFO), could I use my miles to "upgrade" my seats? If yes, then would I be better off booking my flights this way as opposed to purchasing extra miles?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by The.walker
You don't!

Cathay Pacific is a partner airline of AA's. So you would ring AA and ask them to book the Cathay flights for you, using your AA miles.
Had a question if you don't mind. Suppose I booked my flights via cathay pacific (KTM - SFO), could I use my miles to "upgrade" my seats? If yes, then would I be better off booking my flights this way as opposed to purchasing extra miles?
You cannot use AA miles to upgrade a paid ticket on CX. Whether you can use CX miles to do so is something you would have to research.

Also, note that using AA miles to fly CX KTM-HKG-SFO would require that you use extra miles to redeem for two awards: KTM-HKG, and HKG-SFO, as an AA award from KTM to North America does not permit routing via the Pacific. If you will be traveling in Coach between October 1 and April 30, redeeming for KTM-HKG-HND on one award, and HND-SFO on another award will be cheaper than redeeming for KTM-HKG and HKG-SFO.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You cannot use AA miles to upgrade a paid ticket on CX. Whether you can use CX miles to do so is something you would have to research.

Also, note that using AA miles to fly CX KTM-HKG-SFO would require that you use extra miles to redeem for two awards: KTM-HKG, and HKG-SFO, as an AA award from KTM to North America does not permit routing via the Pacific. If you will be traveling in Coach between October 1 and April 30, redeeming for KTM-HKG-HND on one award, and HND-SFO on another award will be cheaper than redeeming for KTM-HKG and HKG-SFO.

Man. This is so damn confusing.

So I have 50k USairways/AA miles. 8k-14k on CX. I suppose I will have to call both. I've figured that I have enough points for economy. But the part about 'upgrading' to business is damn confusing.

Thanks a ton for your tips, though.

Last edited by The.walker; Sep 7, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:29 am

Using AA/BA miles Brazil to US on TAM

Hi,

Trying to book flights for inlaws to come and visit. I have read you should be able to book TAM with AA but I cant find domestic TAM with international with AA.

I'm looking to book from Florianopolis to either GRU/GIG and end in DFW.

GRU/GIG to DFW is fine on AA equipment. FLN to GRU/GIG would be on TAM equipment.

Have anyone had experience with booking with AA/BA miles for US/Brazil with a domestic leg on TAM? Is that even possible?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
This link is available at the bottom of the booking engine detailing which carriers are available to book on aa.com.

Hint - TAM ain't one of them. You'll need to call AA.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by reeg2
This link is available at the bottom of the booking engine detailing which carriers are available to book on aa.com.

Hint - TAM ain't one of them. You'll need to call AA.
Yep. Thanks for the link. I know I cant do online. Just wondering if anyone had experience booking via phone to them to including a domestic TAM flight.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I guess I'm not sure what your question is? Are you asking is it possible to book TAM domestic flights using AA miles? Why certainly it is. Use BA for example to find availability, then call AA to book.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Yep. Thanks for the link. I know I cant do online. Just wondering if anyone had experience booking via phone to them to including a domestic TAM flight.
Yes - I've booked award travel intra-Brazil travel on TAM by calling AA.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:25 am

Call JAL?

Would it be possible to book the flight with AA then call JAL to add a stopover? I am looking to book a flight on AA for LAX to CPT that has a layover in London. The flight is with British Airways. My hope is that I would be able to call British Airways to add a stop over since they allow them?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:34 am

You can do this. Stopover 17 hours in Tokyo going there. And Stopover 17 hours going back. Total is 2 days, or thereabouts). Day bed in Tokyo if you need it.

Even better is to fly into HND, and you'll be very close to Ginza and Shinagawa. You'll need to fly SFO-HND. What works well is that JAL flies HND-BKK.

If you want to really get cute, you may be able to do ORD-NRT-NGO-HND-BKK, with long stopovers to really get more time in Tokyo. But likely more hassle than worth it.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmchris
You can do this. Stopover 17 hours in Tokyo going there. And Stopover 17 hours going back. Total is 2 days, or thereabouts). Day bed in Tokyo if you need it.

Even better is to fly into HND, and you'll be very close to Ginza and Shinagawa. You'll need to fly SFO-HND. What works well is that JAL flies HND-BKK.

If you want to really get cute, you may be able to do ORD-NRT-NGO-HND-BKK, with long stopovers to really get more time in Tokyo. But likely more hassle than worth it.
Those are not "stopovers"; they are "connections, and on international awards, connections of up to 24 hours are permitted.

Last edited by guv1976; Sep 8, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M_hunter1989
Would it be possible to book the flight with AA then call JAL to add a stopover? I am looking to book a flight on AA for LAX to CPT that has a layover in London. The flight is with British Airways. My hope is that I would be able to call British Airways to add a stop over since they allow them?
No; not possible.

If you redeem AA miles for an award, there are no stopovers permitted. None. Period. It makes no difference what airline your AA award is booked on. And if you want to make any changes to an award booked with AA miles, you must call AA.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

And if you want to make any changes to an award booked with AA miles, you must call AA.
Thank you! That is what I was trying to figure out - can one call the carrier (British Airways in my case) to change a flight that was booked with AA... Seem so unfair that I would have to use more miles to break up the flight when British Airways offers free stopovers Sigh....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.