Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA/US Network Changes at DCA/LGA Announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...240337701.html

American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) today announced the planned network adjustments resulting from the required divestiture of slots and related assets at Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA) and New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA). The divestitures, which enabled American Airlines and US Airways to complete their merger, were mandated by the previously announced settlements with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the States of Arizona, Florida, Michigan, Tennessee, the Commonwealths of Pennsylvania and Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Nothing major (to me personally) lost from DCA. DCA - BTV is a big one for me so I'm glad to see that one is still there.

A little surprised to see Jacksonville NC, Fayetteville NC, and Pensacola FL, go away due to their proximity to military bases(and obviously DCA's proximity to the Pentagon). My guess is they're betting that after a few months of those routes not existing the Pentagon via the Senate / House will make sure that flight is restored either on AA/US or another airline. Can't see those from the military trekking out to IAD from the Pentagon to get on those flights

I'm also really glad to see a second DCA - LAX flight will be put in place of the DCA- SAN flight. One can only hope the timing for the new one will be better (early morning and a red-eye would be great)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
They can just shift the SAN flight to another destination like that?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
how can AA not fly LGA-ATL? I'm surprised they would drop a route like this, even if loads aren't great.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
how can AA not fly LGA-ATL? I'm surprised they would drop a route like this, even if loads aren't great.
It's essentially a hub-hub flight for DL, with 16x mainline frequencies a day. Given that and FL driving down prices, there's not much room for AA to make money flying CR7s.

It's interesting to note that DL hubs saw a lot of cuts at DCA as well -- both DTW and MSP are gone, joining ATL which was dropped ages ago.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Nothing major (to me personally) lost from DCA. DCA - BTV is a big one for me so I'm glad to see that one is still there.
It will be a cold day in hell (or VT) before one of the seniormost member of the US Senate (and Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and seniormost member of the Appropriations Committee) -- Patrick Leahy, D-VT -- would allow the only direct service to his state to be terminated. I think you can rest easy on DCA-BTV for the time being.

Now, when Leahy retires or is carried out, I would start making other plans for that route...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Yes. Two of AA's DCA beyond-perimeter slots can be used on any beyond perimeter airport. The rest are restricted to PHX and LAS.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lhl12
It will be a cold day in hell (or VT) before one of the seniormost member of the US Senate (and Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and seniormost member of the Appropriations Committee) -- Patrick Leahy, D-VT -- would allow the only direct service to his state to be terminated. I think you can rest easy on DCA-BTV for the time being.

Now, when Leahy retires or is carried out, I would start making other plans for that route...
Maybe that's a list from which AA starts negotiating... and maybe not. The slots are going.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Here is a quick summary of the changes from our newsroom: American Airlines to Discontinue Service to 20 Destinations as Part of Antitrust Settlement

At Reagan National, American is discontinuing year-round, daily nonstop service to 17 destinations. These include Augusta, Georgia; Detroit, Michigan; Fayetteville, North Carolina, Fort Walton Beach, Florida; Islip, New York; Jacksonville, North Carolina; Little Rock, Arkansas; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Montreal, Canada; Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Nassau, Bahamas; and Omaha, Nebraska.

From LaGuardia, American is discontinuing nonstop service to Atlanta, Cleveland, and Minneapolis.

The airline is also adding service from LaGuardia to the following destinations: Charlottesville, Virginia; Dayton, Ohio; Greensboro, North Carolina; Knoxville, Tennessee; Little Rock, Arkansas; Louisville, Kentucky; Norfolk, Virginia; Richmond, Virginia; Roanoke, Virginia; and Wilmington, North Carolina. Customers will be able to purchase tickets to these locations starting January 26, for flights starting on April 1.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:39 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Meh! I was hoping UScAAre would keep ISP>DCA. Bleh!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
Purely from an Avios snob perspective based out of DCA, I hope they bring back seasonal service eventually for YUL and MYR.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The rest are restricted to PHX and LAS.
Is they going to stay? I think PHX/LAS-DCA will stay for a while, but I am not quite sure about that.

Actually, they will shifting to LAX. SAN-DCA will be eliminated. Perhaps AS will announce SAN-DCA.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Yes. Two of AA's DCA beyond-perimeter slots can be used on any beyond perimeter airport. The rest are restricted to PHX and LAS.
Anyone know if the slots AS uses for it's current DCA-LAX flight can similarly be shifted?

If so I would not be surprised to see them shift their current LAX service to SAN, with an AA codeshare.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:56 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by dfwgolfer1
Purely from an Avios snob perspective based out of DCA, I hope they bring back seasonal service eventually for YUL and MYR.
Doubtful. AA's service to Canada is pretty weak compared with the behemoth that is AC/UA.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Sad to see the seasonal DCA-ILM go, but was to be expected. At the same time very happy to see AA will be flying LGA-ILM hopefully year round!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.